eBay help for a beginner!

thewaxbanditthewaxbandit 112 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
i have a collection of around 3000 recordsi want to get this down to around 1000 choice piecesmost of my collection in boring indie hip hop which i really have no time for anymore, i have a lot of golden era stuff too and a decent amount of original breaks and a few comps which i used for djing workits truly little dude status compared to you guys but anyways....i want to shift the stuff on ebay - but a large proportion of my collection is absolutely battered from heavy dj work. its all playable, just about! but the covers are a mess and there are visible marks all over the placei guess the question is:how on earth to i begin to grade this stuff?i know i'm gonna get little money from doing this - but i'd rather do this than get ripped off by a dealer who'll give me literally pennies for the whole lot any advice or tips would be greatly appreciatedthanks b

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Sell em as job lots of 5 of the same musical/format genre, state condition as G to VG and put a realistic BIN price on.

Billcowbreaks and Kala-R

• awesome thank you for the advice

can i realistically put G to VG when i know for a fact that the stuff is absolutely hammered?!?

i've never actually used ebay before or graded anything so i still find it a little confusing!

thanks

b

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    G to vg = hammered but playable.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Im thinking that i might sell a good portion of my collection too. Im desperate to get an MPC & it looks like selling a few rekkids is the best bet.

Ive not got many mega raers but ive got a few nice pieces & quite a lot of stuff in the $10-$20 bracket. Some of them probaly aint looking that great so i'll be grading fairly but does anybody have any other good tips for starting to sell on tramp bay?

What kind of fee's am i looking at? Does it cost more to add the buy it now option? Any other top tips, do's & don'ts?

Thanks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dude the shit is barely worth pennies, nobody's gonna buy it let alone attempt to rip you off.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    PIPE DOWN NEWBIE
    had forgotten that. i miss kala.

• dude is being gnarly about condition yet gives positive feedback!! best ebay response EVER.

I have been sitting on a box of this title, as I await the sourcing phone calls.

We need a up in here

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Any autolisting apps people use in particular? I assume people aren't typing up 35 listings and listing them all within 20 mins of each other.

Also, what spots do people use for bulk mailers, either in NYC or online..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i have a collection of around 3000 records

i want to get this down to around 1000 choice pieces

most of my collection in boring indie hip hop which i really have no time for anymore, i have a lot of golden era stuff too and a decent amount of original breaks and a few comps which i used for djing work

its truly little dude status compared to you guys but anyways....

i want to shift the stuff on ebay - but a large proportion of my collection is absolutely battered from heavy dj work. its all playable, just about! but the covers are a mess and there are visible marks all over the place

i guess the question is:

how on earth to i begin to grade this stuff?

i know i'm gonna get little money from doing this - but i'd rather do this than get ripped off by a dealer who'll give me literally pennies for the whole lot

any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks

b

If you are going to sell on ebay you need to rethink what kind of records you have.
    Dont say:
    boring indie hip hop
    Do say:
    RARE RANDOM HIP HOP!!!

Don't describe the records as battered, or even G.
    Do describe the records as "typical condition for records this old".

Just kidding.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    You need to unload the beat up stuff at a used record store and save yourself hours and hours of listing time, emails, packaging and waiting in line at the post office to make .50 cents. Then take the nice stuff and really make a nice presentation of it on the bay and maybe make some money. Seriously, not worth the time/effort to unload garbage bins.

but a dealer might try to rip him off and give him literally pennies!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'd pay him in ass pennies then throw his shit in the dumpster after he sauntered out.

p.s.

What does kala look like?
    I always pictured him as the white rasta from The Professional with a chemical imbalance.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is great--nobody in the game is better than kala at flipping a mixed lot of records collectively worth $47.53 for prices of up to $49.27!

• I'd pay him in ass pennies then throw his shit in the dumpster after he sauntered out.

i never saunter

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    You'd be better off selling the whole lot on craigslist. If the covers are beat up and the records aren't in the greatest shape it isn't worth the time to grade them all. If there are a few raer random rap records that are in decent shape, maybe pull those and sell them on ebay but the listing the rest would be a huge waste of time.