--- Findzzz of the week ---

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
These are from the past week and weekend...Figured I start a thread.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Record show or Pops

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Record show + Thrifs + House Call + Thrifts = I'm exhausted

• rookrook 357 Posts
    that lambert & nuttycombe is very different from their first lp, but i like it.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have been looking for that maracana 12 for ages

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hadnt looked for LPs in a bit, good 45s were not be found the last few days, so decided to look for the big 'uns...

this has got a great "96 Tears", accordian in lieu of organ...badass

these ACE comps from the 80s are great...always pick them up

Been waitin to find one of these lying around...been wanting a vinyl copy of the unissued blue eyed funk monster "Cant Get Right"

never pass on minty OG Hawkwinds

very far out record

heard "Calvary" on satellite radio and decided I had to have it, my DJ partner happened to have a minty Euroman copy he didnt want, so he gave it to me

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    damn , nice finds... you could throw down a serious disco / boogie set with all those joints you copped.. what's the heavenly star 12"? that rusty P 12" is a nice grip too. Also the Dexter Wansel with "the Sweetest pain' is another fav of mine.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    here's some stuff i've gotten hold of recently - -charities, trades and a few online buys with some design work paypal funds...

MYRTH (fun soulful horn rock that i've been after for a bit... )
    CHER - "3614 jackson highway" (stonking version of 'walk on gilded splinters' and a couple of other nice traks)
    MAE WEST - "way out west" (amazing 'daytripper' and 'twist & shout'!!! she sounds like a mentalist!!)
    GRAND FUNK (first album - -as sie put it: "heavy monster sounds")
    CORNELIUS - "point" (great album - -sounds like 'the books')
    TOE FAT (another i've been after for ages - -but am a little disappointed. its a nice listen - but nothing jumps out at me!)

JOHN & BEVERLEY MARTYN - "stormbringer" (80's press. ben hoping to find a cheap copy of this - -btu it's not doing much for me!)
    TEDD SMITH - "smash & grab world" (an interesting charity find for once! xian lyrics/poems about the state of the world with mad lo-fi jazzy moves in the background. some nice slightly fuzzy geetar on some tracks)
    INCREDIBLE BONGO BAND (uk press with stupid cover)
    BLUE AQUARIUS (funky xian. not listened yet)
    LIVELY ONES - "bugalu party" (great n raw 60's r&b + soul covers)
    HAMMOND HITS (finally!! this vulture-classic has eluded me for years in the wild. this 'jungle fever' is loads better than the original!)

HOT HITS 3 (nice wonky version of THE RATTLES "the witch")
    CHRIS WAXMAN - "organized" (not much cop. "mas que nada" is fun though)
    JACK PARNELL - "greatest film scores of the 70's" (not seen this one before - a bit crap, thouhg."enter the dragon" is alright - -weird version of "tubular bells")
    GEOFF LOVE - "close encouters of the third kind and other disco galactic themes" (not my bag to say the least - -but has a few Nick Ingman originals and a disofied vrsion of the Star Wars Cantina music!)
    CHART BUSTERS NOW (fuzzy lo-fi version of 'pinball wizard')
    CURTIS MAYFIELD - "back to the world" (nice to find ofr 50p but this does nothing for me. maybe i have no soul!)

plus some 45's:

DIA PROMETIDO - "sinfonia no 40 de mozart" (classical music done in a funky middle-eastern way. tasty)
    MARIA SANDRA - "patropi" (heavy exotica apparently backed by CHICO MAGNETIC BAND)
    CRAZY ELEPHANT - "dark part of my mind" (couldnt resisit a p/s. nice fuzz)
    LAS GRECAS - "orgullo" (fun, glammy, fuzzy and odd. not as good as the other single of theirs i got recently though)
    LOS BRAVOS - "bring a little lovin" (well known tune. nice p/s)
    THE ROKES - "piangi con me" (lovely song)
    SKORPIO - "hosszu az ut" (great double-sider. part of the strong lineage of 70's Hungarian music that sunds like the old 'Grange Hill' theme)
    VARIATIONS - "whats happening" (woah! maybe their best one!!! monster tune... i think i have all the decent singles now)
    XY&Z - "the days are passing" (ace funky rock)
    SUBURBAN LAWNS - "janitor" (awesome post-punk. i really want the LP now)
    DYNASTIE CRISIS - "le corbeau et le renard / j'ai mal" (had to have the p/s. amazing double sider. A is mental prog funk, B is beautiful and beaty progggy spiritual jazz!)
    DYNASTIE CRISIS - "schizomania" (another good double sider - different and more rocking than earlier stuff)

CAETANO VELOSO - EP (from 69 - 'irene' etc)
    GROUP X - "rotti-calliope" (awesome surf version of a classical tune. one of my favouroite finds of late)
    ANIMALS - "dont bring me down" (classic)
    KLEENEX - "aint you" (more great post-punk stuff )
    PRETTY THINGS - "honey i need" (nice to find for pence - but not doing much for me)
    NASHVILLE TEEENS - "T.N.T" (alright)
    MONKEES - "a little bit me, a little bit you" (great fun)
    GRAPEFRUIT - "come down to the station" (heavy rockin - but with the vocals way too high in the mix for my tastes. nice riff though)
    ROY WOOD - "bengal jig" (he did so many silly songs!)
    JOHN KONGOS - "he's gonna step on you again" (to upgrade my G- copy)

• CURTIS MAYFIELD - "back to the world"... this does nothing for me. maybe i have no soul!)

re-listen to "right on for the darkness" - one of my favourite songs of his, if not all time

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    CURTIS MAYFIELD - "back to the world"... this does nothing for me. maybe i have no soul!)

BAN

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    CURTIS MAYFIELD - "back to the world"... this does nothing for me. maybe i have no soul!)

That's by far the best record in your post.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

CURTIS MAYFIELD - "back to the world" (nice to find ofr 50p but this does nothing for me. maybe i have no soul!)

DUDE! "right on for the darkness" rules. how is it possible that the cher record moves you but back to the world is meh? you're right about one thing... you might not have a soul.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I agree.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    if you like the cover of guilded splinters by cher you should check out johnny jenkins version.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts

I agree.

i knew i'd get some flack for that as soon as i wrote it - - - but i stand by it. listened twice. it shall not be staying in the collection. worth mentioning i am in no way a 'funk/souk' dood. I LIKE TO ROCK.

best record in my post is the Les Variations 45 if you ask me...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    CURTIS GOT STONKERS

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i love curtis, i love "right on for the darkness" but i gotta say i have not kept any of his solo efforts after the s/t debut. none of them do much for me, i ripped the tracks i liked and put them on cd. as far as curtis w/ the impressions, that's my shit. "Man Oh Man" and "Keep On Pushing" and the 64-68 stuff is what comes to mind when i think of curtis.

the album in question doesn't do much for me.

peace,xavier

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

I agree.

i knew i'd get some flack for that as soon as i wrote it - - - but i stand by it. listened twice. it shall not be staying in the collection. worth mentioning i am in no way a 'funk/souk' dood. I LIKE TO ROCK.

Next time just buy all the crappy Geoff Love stuff and leave the Curtis for someone who might actually enjoy it. Thanks!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Both Meters and Overton are mailbox/strut/dermy

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

I agree.

good music is not genre specific, that album is a classic

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Just got this a moment ago

Susan (Loretta Long) of Sesame St.
    Gonig to make a frame for it later this week

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Local keepers from the last few days -

• CraigCraig 269 Posts

I agree.

Next time just buy all the crappy Geoff Love stuff and leave the Curtis for someone who might actually enjoy it. Thanks!

To be fair as he hadn't heard it how was he to know he wouldn't like it?