Boogiemonsters - "Riders Of The Storm"

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Herm, I think it's not about feeling like you have to be consistent with what you used to like, so much as examining it through different lenses.

I have as much nostalgia in me as anyone I know, probably more, but some stuff simply doesn't hold up when I revisit it. Back then I was really enthusiastic and was checking for every rap record that came out. I've now gained some distance, spent a lot of time listening to other genres and eras, and that inevitably affects how I evaluate and appreciate music.

I never *loved* this album but I played it a bit. It doesn't quite hold up for me these days. Maybe that's some weird subconscious conflict between my childhood and adulthood selves... but more likely it's the fact that people grow and change and their tastes reflect that.

I think that's a lot different than what you tend to imply in these discussions, which is that people must somehow be ashamed of their childhood tastes if they decide to reevaluate their love of a particular record they were into 10-20 years ago.

You might see the dopeness in everything, but some of us just see the wackness.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Probabely the weirdest Hip-Hop album i've ever listened to but a very good one. These cats sound like there on some sort of spiritual journey (maybe drugs?) during these songs and there's numerous references to God but not in a preachy way. There's alot of lush live instrumentals going on with the samples too which makes it exceptionally different from alot of other Hip-hop albums during the 90's and i'm glad i stumbled upon it again

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

This is a great album. I appreciate it's weirdness.

cmon....Great? cmon.

Dude, it's Herm; he's less discriminating in his taste than deej

But less arrogant than you.

Batmon: Yes, great. This is one of those albums cassettes I played over and over and over back in the day. I LOVED it then and naturally, I love it now. It's not really like me to sh*t on albums I liked back in the day (hi Faux!). Mainly because when I like something the first time around, it's genuine. Years later, it captures that time and means something to me, regardless of whether or not a lyric or two sounds cornier now then it did then.

It's weird, 'cause it wasn't until I was a full-fledged member of SoulStrut that I realized not all people feel the way I do or did about the music they were raised on. Pretty much my whole crew then and now, from the most die-hard Hip Hop dudes to the "yeah, I listen to rap" folks, are like me in that sense. Does our loyalty and nostalgia overshadow the music? That's debatable. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gag

Spare me

This is what's called a straw man

Okay, now I know what it is. My friend Wiki 'splained it to me.

Anyhoo, that's my opinion on it irregardless. I never attempted to change anybody's mind, so it wasn't really an argument or stance, was it? I simply said why I thought it was great rather then good. Geez Louise, gag me with a spoon!

Cool, but could u critique the music,beats,rhymes for me?
    Is Scott Storch's work underatted?
    Are the MC's killin it. And shoulda has a 10 album career, but the public just wasnt ready for the futuristic concepts like Honeydips In Gotham?
    Would u like to see this get a Deluxe treatment along w/ new interviews w/ the group?
    Unreleased tracks? Videos?

U never really said why its great. You just said u loved it back in the day. Why?

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    I think i only co-sign Storch on this album and the stuff he did with The Roots.. after that
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dj9UuknZLA

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Its a dope album. Yea i said it. Its got its own uniqueness...is that a word? Sayin though its not as good as poor righteous teachers - new world order.

The PRT album is legitimately good and is also genuinely slept on.

Herm, I think it's not about feeling like you have to be consistent with what you used to like, so much as examining it through different lenses.

I have as much nostalgia in me as anyone I know, probably more, but some stuff simply doesn't hold up when I revisit it. Back then I was really enthusiastic and was checking for every rap record that came out. I've now gained some distance, spent a lot of time listening to other genres and eras, and that inevitably affects how I evaluate and appreciate music.

I never *loved* this album but I played it a bit. It doesn't quite hold up for me these days. Maybe that's some weird subconscious conflict between my childhood and adulthood selves... but more likely it's the fact that people grow and change and their tastes reflect that.

I think that's a lot different than what you tend to imply in these discussions, which is that people must somehow be ashamed of their childhood tastes if they decide to reevaluate their love of a particular record they were into 10-20 years ago.

You might see the dopeness in everything, but some of us just see the wackness.

Yes.

These proclamations of "I guess I'm just too real for the rest of you, because I have not forsaken the music I loved as a teen" are ridiculous.

I mean, is there anybody that actually does do that? As far as I can tell, it's strictly a phenomenon that exists in the mindgardens of Shied and Herm.

I still love all the music that I loved as a 17 year old. I will never stop listening to Hard to Earn or Illmatic or Southernplayalisticadillacmusik or Kill My Landlord.

But some of the music that was a more peripheral part of my life at the time--like this album, which I had traded in within two years of its release--has been replaced by all of the other music I've found to love in the 15 years since.

"Recognized Thresholds" was a cool record, but I always found the full album--the Christian angle + the weak rapping--to be corny.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "daniel is definitely overcompensating for a youth spent searching for brand new heavies b-sides"-noz on AIM right now

I havent listened to this album in a good 10 years. I recall enjoy parts of it and thinking parts of it were incomrpehensibly wack. The tag on the cover definitely swayed me towards liking it though.

"Recognized Thresholds of Negative Stress" is still a pretty eerie song and the clear standout on the record.

-e

"daniel is definitely overcompensating for a youth spent searching for brand new heavies b-sides"-noz on AIM right now

Hahaha... I am not at all ashamed to admit that I once owned the full catalog, as well as at least two N'Dea Davenport solo 12s"

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    people still use AIM?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I still listen to that body-ya song off the second album from time to time. that was a great song.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I still listen to that body-ya song off the second album from time to time. that was a great song.

Yes, I remember this to be a true standout track (Featuring Bahamdia, right?) on the second album which I liked more than the first. Still waiting for a Double-LP reissue because the pressing of that sacond album is so incredibly bad.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I think they reggae-type of delivery on some of the rhymes is what was a kind of turn off amongst other things.

I remember my boy having this and sittin' thru it wanting to like it. Nice packaging and another spin on that Soft-Rapp.

At the time there were some real bangin albums in 1994 and this effort came up kinda lightweight.
    Very true. Here's a forgotten one that while not a classic, held it's own as a really good album

Van Full of Pakistan is the shit! A slept on classic IMO....

"dont ask me if Im high with a joint in my mouth..."

lets not forget Yaggfu Front....

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    I think they reggae-type of delivery on some of the rhymes is what was a kind of turn off amongst other things.

I remember my boy having this and sittin' thru it wanting to like it. Nice packaging and another spin on that Soft-Rapp.

At the time there were some real bangin albums in 1994 and this effort came up kinda lightweight.
    Very true. Here's a forgotten one that while not a classic, held it's own as a really good album

Van Full of Pakistan is the shit! A slept on classic IMO....

"dont ask me if Im high with a joint in my mouth..."

lets not forget Yaggfu Front....
    After giving it a thorough listen through again i actually think it's a deservant classic now. With rhymes like "ecstasy was pulling in some ass" you can't go wrong

Yaggfu Front was dope too...

• ReedReed 97 Posts

Hahaha... I am not at all ashamed to admit that I once owned the full catalog, as well as at least two N'Dea Davenport solo 12s"
    She was dope on that O.C. track where he was doing the Ed Lover dance in the video

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've never listened to this and van full of pakistans and can't even think of any of the songs