Boogiemonsters - "Riders Of The Storm"

ReedReed 97 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Probabely the weirdest Hip-Hop album i've ever listened to but a very good one. These cats sound like there on some sort of spiritual journey (maybe drugs?) during these songs and there's numerous references to God but not in a preachy way. There's alot of lush live instrumentals going on with the samples too which makes it exceptionally different from alot of other Hip-hop albums during the 90's and i'm glad i stumbled upon it againhttp://magga-goldenagehiphop.blogspot.com/2007/01/boogiemonsters-riders-of-storm.html

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks for posting

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    No problem... lemme also say it's an aquired taste for sure so maybe roll something up beforehand.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I remember when it dropped and it never stuck w/ me as a whole. Maybe one or two interesting tracks.

It is a good take on what was happening "under the radar" while other "alt" dudes were gettin more shine.

As far as "live instrumentals"/"different from what was happening in Hip Hop", this was during an active live instruments phase. Check Brand Nubian's Everything Is Everything. And when did that Brand New Heavies Rapp LP come out?
    They were far from unique.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I remember when it dropped and it never stuck w/ me as a whole. Maybe one or two interesting tracks.

It is a good take on what was happening "under the radar" while other "alt" dudes were gettin more shine.

Really the weirdest hip-hop album you (thread starter)'ve ever heard? I remember wishing it had more personality.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Personally, I loved this album.

Anyone know the backstory on them having to change all beats for the label before it got released? And for some reason I think Scott Storch had something to do with some of them. I could be wrong though....

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    yeah I rememebr when this dropped, Im with Batmon, only a couple of the joints really hit. There second LP, with only 2 of the MCs was a bit harder IMO and rocked. I was feeling their anti NWO stance, but it was too God Squad for my liking.

• ReedReed 97 Posts

As far as "live instrumentals"/"different from what was happening in Hip Hop", this was during an active live instruments phase. Check Brand Nubian's Everything Is Everything. And when did that Brand New Heavies Rapp LP come out?
    They were far from unique.

Yeah you're right, both of those albums were real good on a funky tip but something about this one is just odd... just the vibe of it is different. I wouldn't call it classic though because there's definately a few stinkers such as "Old Man Jacob's Well" which is just a bunch of biblical nonsense. and if i recall Scott Storch made one of his very first appearances playing keys on this album

I think they reggae-type of delivery on some of the rhymes is what was a kind of turn off amongst other things.

I remember my boy having this and sittin' thru it wanting to like it. Nice packaging and another spin on that Soft-Rapp.

At the time there were some real bangin albums in 1994 and this effort came up kinda lightweight.

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    I think they reggae-type of delivery on some of the rhymes is what was a kind of turn off amongst other things.

I remember my boy having this and sittin' thru it wanting to like it. Nice packaging and another spin on that Soft-Rapp.

At the time there were some real bangin albums in 1994 and this effort came up kinda lightweight.
    Very true. Here's a forgotten one that while not a classic, held it's own as a really good album
    http://theessentialelements.blogspot.com/2009/04/yall-so-stupid-van-full-of-pakistans.html

haha

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Probabely the weirdest Hip-Hop album i've ever listened to but a very good one. These cats sound like there on some sort of spiritual journey (maybe drugs?) during these songs and there's numerous references to God but not in a preachy way. There's alot of lush live instrumentals going on with the samples too which makes it exceptionally different from alot of other Hip-hop albums during the 90's and i'm glad i stumbled upon it again

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Probabely the weirdest Hip-Hop album i've ever listened to but a very good one. These cats sound like there on some sort of spiritual journey (maybe drugs?) during these songs and there's numerous references to God but not in a preachy way. There's alot of lush live instrumentals going on with the samples too which makes it exceptionally different from alot of other Hip-hop albums during the 90's and i'm glad i stumbled upon it again

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious
    I'm not saying it ranks up with any of the greatest albums of all time by far... just talking in terms of slept-on albums

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

This is a great album. I appreciate it's weirdness.

Very true. Here's a forgotten one that while not a classic, held it's own as a really good album

I JUST REDISCOVERED THIS ALBUM

• I used to love this album but hasn't quit stood the test of time with me. The element of this record that always had me buggen as a young buck was the live bass gtr that gave it a little more sway.

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

Did I st-st-st-stutter?

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

Dude, it's Herm; he's less discriminating in his taste than deej

• ReedReed 97 Posts

I JUST REDISCOVERED THIS ALBUM
    They pulled off Pharcyde's shtick with there own style rather then Anotha Level who just straight-up sucked. Gotta love this video too...
    http://www.themeaningofdope.com/2008/05/30/rollin-85-south/

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

Did I st-st-st-stutter?

Great like Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik Great?

Great meaning like must have in a complete Hip Hop collection?

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

sheesh I can understand liking the album but calling it GREAT?

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

But less arrogant than you.

Batmon: Yes, great. This is one of those albums cassettes I played over and over and over back in the day. I LOVED it then and naturally, I love it now. It's not really like me to sh*t on albums I liked back in the day (hi Faux!). Mainly because when I like something the first time around, it's genuine. Years later, it captures that time and means something to me, regardless of whether or not a lyric or two sounds cornier now then it did then.

It's weird, 'cause it wasn't until I was a full-fledged member of SoulStrut that I realized not all people feel the way I do or did about the music they were raised on. Pretty much my whole crew then and now, from the most die-hard Hip Hop dudes to the "yeah, I listen to rap" folks, are like me in that sense. Does our loyalty and nostalgia overshadow the music? That's debatable. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

Batmon: Yes, great. This is one of those albums cassettes I played over and over and over back in the day. I LOVED it then and naturally, I love it now. It's not really like me to sh*t on albums I liked back in the day (hi Faux!). Mainly because when I like something the first time around, it's genuine. Years later, it captures that time and means something to me, regardless of whether or not a lyric or two sounds cornier now then it did then.

It's weird, 'cause it wasn't until I was a full-fledged member of SoulStrut that I realized not all people feel the way I do or did about the music they were raised on. Pretty much my whole crew then and now, from the most die-hard Hip Hop dudes to the "yeah, I listen to rap" folks, are like me in that sense. Does our loyalty and nostalgia overshadow the music? That's debatable. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gag

Spare me

This is what's called a straw man

I don't know what a straw man is (other than hated dude that used to post here), but okay.

And ha ha, you said "gag."

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts

I picked the album up after I saw this video, you know back when there was a channel that played music videos.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Wierd? hardly compared to what i had in my collection, but maybe i was the only buying and racking every damn tape i could get my hands on.

some memorable wierds to me were:

Kemelions EP on Zoo Street and Pudgee The Fat Bastards incest joint.

Yes! Kemelions! Ha ha! I think that was too weird for me, though. I don't remember a thing about it! I'm pretty sure that's the album Murs dissed me for for not having in the tape collection. He said "NO Hip Hop dudes collection is complete without Kemelions In The Basement!"

Is Dream Warriors considered weird?? Sha Key?? Of course, Divine Styler's "Spiral Autumn whatever whatever" probably holds the title for weirdness.

Hahahahahahaha

Please be serious

cmon....Great? cmon.

Gag

Spare me

This is what's called a straw man

Okay, now I know what it is. My friend Wiki 'splained it to me.

Anyhoo, that's my opinion on it irregardless. I never attempted to change anybody's mind, so it wasn't really an argument or stance, was it? I simply said why I thought it was great rather then good. Geez Louise, gag me with a spoon!

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Its a dope album. Yea i said it. Its got its own uniqueness...is that a word? Sayin though its not as good as poor righteous teachers - new world order.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I liked this album when it came out, hasn't stayed in the regular nostalgic rap album rotation, though. In terms of weird, rhyming about child rape/murder from the child's perspective is a little outside the norm, I think (Old Man Jacob's Well). It's definitely creepy as a mug.