BlaQKout.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
This album is effin' GOOD good. Quik has always been a favorite of mine. Pretty much neck and neck with Shock. Kurupt is a goshdarn (multisyllabic) BEAST and man, they go GREAT together. It's a trip 'cause these are some gangster rap ass dudes but this album can't really be pigeonholed as gangster rap. It's all over the place and - save for a couple moments - doesn't really follow a formula. I can't front, at first I was scratching my head at "Exodus." "Jump, stomp, pump and reach again" repeated for 3 minutes straight. I didn't get it,. But when I realized there's nothing TO get, I found myself appreciating it for what it is. That being - to me, at least - Kurupt doing what the eff he wants over Quik's (traditional) nod to dancehall and reggae.I can't even pick a favorite track really, but as far as quotables...Kurupt KILLS it on "9 X's Outta Ten" (speaking of not following a formula!):Fourteen .350's, around the clock, pop 'round the block around the whole circumferenceIn abundance, feared like Ted Bundy, ...(??)..., you'll take all I have from meToil, turmoil, I bounce back like bungies, you'll get thrown away like spongiesDon't talk to me no more 'bout no motherf*cking moneyCannonball run 'em up, run amok, runnin' up, summon up the whole confrontationWaitin', my patience is achin', I sum it upComin' up is such a wait, the impatience, dumb enough to f*ck it upLook, I'll sum it up: Just stop.On a personal tip, I did one of them proud smiling nods of excitement when I saw that Quik shouted out M*rs in the liner notes. I mean, it's one thing to have the label pay the man for his mastering services, but when that man - a legend - personally shouts you out? I mean, the validation wasn't needed, but DAMN, you know? Plus I found out that the hoLmes Russell is now managing Quik.And I am saying though...Yo Yo?!?! Wow.b/wNext West Coast album I'm looking forward to is Terrace Martin, which I'm sure Quik & Kurupt will be involved with in some form or fashion.Here's a bonus:Murs ft Terrace Martin "Doing Me"

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im writing a review of this & its been very challenging to express the nuance of this album - i do love the record

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    personally, i was shocked at how poor quik's ideas behind the beats were...

Yeah, some of them are definitely different than what he's done in the past. Personally I don't think they're poor though, just different. I can see how some people can be turned off by them though.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    9 X's Outta Ten

is a monster track.

Only played this through once so far but gets the thumbs up from me, really enjoying the album.

• HamHam 872 Posts

Only played this through once so far but gets the thumbs up from me, really enjoying the album.

yeah. jupiters critic and the mind of mars

Kurupt is a goshdarn (multisyllabic) BEAST

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    that's drinkability

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I like this album more each time I listen to it.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    yeah, an amazing album. Good chemistry, and just a fun lighthearted album with skills... reminds me of how "hip-hop" should be (no backpack)

Bump: dudes, please support this album

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Im gonna cop.

Im gonna cop.

Deej gives it an 8.2!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What edges it over 8.0, yet not an 8.5?

I give it a 9.1 GREAT.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I give it a .

What edges it over 8.0, yet not an 8.5?

Can someone remind me what the original 8.5 was? Shawnna?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    4 shaw-na

now be easy from p-r-uh that's another story

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    just fyi i gave it an 8.6 -- partly as a joek 4 u guyz -- but it was bumped down to an 8.2 by editorial

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    luckily, still +.2 from the Mos Def album, which had been the pitchfork BEST REVIEWED RAP ALBUM OF THE YEAR

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Nice review, Deej.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Did Pitchfork scout out deej from his poasts here?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haha
    def not

thnx phonegone

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    & btw that shawnna album is still dope (but not as good as this)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    @ 2:12

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    just fyi i gave it an 8.6 -- partly as a joek 4 u guyz -- but it was bumped down to an 8.2 by editorial

I kinda forgot PF existed until the recent cocaineblunts flap over the Z-Ro review - which had me wondering if anyone who frequents that site even cares about music.

I appreciate your injecting a touch of reality into that site, but you're combatting an absolute mountain of BS there.

And what's up with the editor's final choice of score? Have they even listened to the record?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    @ 2:12

• Nice review, Deej.

That record is really hard to describe but you did it well and made a compelling case for its eccentricities.

The other Quik review over there made me grimace.