First time on eBay? (African Brothers LP-related)

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Is this really that rare? Schitt is fire. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250439827689

Comments

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    I already saw it once... However, I crossed its way almost hazardeously, it must have showed up in a great large list (afrobrazilero style). The seller, contrarily to the one I just mentioned should be reliable, he buys and sells african records since forever. I think he's right to say it's an extremely rare record. First time on eBay? certainly not, with guys like Samy (Samsoum71, Afrocolombia, Analog Africa) and Afrobrazilero (too bad this guy describes and grades so poorly), so much african heat and raers are brought to the surface... He just said "never saw it on ebay". I did, once. Rare? Of course!

• i remember reading an article somewhere about miles cleret's trips down to africa and how he got all gnarly about paying 3-4 cents for records because he was only prepared to pay 1-2 cents, i bet those 1-2 cents have paid off now!

• With all due respect: this information is incorrect and misleading. Miles has been working with the same dealer for years and the prices he pays are WAY above what collectors generally offer.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Schitt is fire.

Agreed that record is pretty hot, but at what point is the fire
    extinguished due to condition?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Schitt is fire.

Isn't the crackling sound a part of any fire?

Years ago I got a laugh out of a guy from South America on ebay selling a hammered copy of a rare record. His poor english description of the condition was "sounds like campfire".

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Schitt is fire.

I don't know--that seller's VG- is actually pretty listenable, and it sold for $88. I put in a (low) bid because in that condition I'd want it mainly for the object/show-piece value, and at that point play condition is almost irrelevant--the grooves could produce the Barney theme song for all I care. A cleaner rip for listening can be procured elsewhere.

Here's "Self Reliance" (from the Ghana Soundz comp)

I'd want it mainly for the object/show-piece value

Hey doods look I what I got!
    Maybe you should start collecting only sealed records that you never open.

I'm getting there.

I'm getting there.

No need for audio equipment means more $$$ for sealed raer.
    It's a win win.

• With all due respect: this information is incorrect and misleading. Miles has been working with the same dealer for years and the prices he pays are WAY above what collectors generally offer.
    i thought as much, as one day he'd have eventually been caught out doing that, thanks for the info.