who writes Dre's rhymes?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I know this question may sound disconnected.But I heard "Still Dre" in teh bar tonite.Not mindblowing, but Dre is nice on that track.It occured to me that I lost track of post-Cube Dre lyrical authorship.Plaese to school me.

Comments

• ron huldai

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The D.O.C. wrote the N!&&@$4Life stuff.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I guess I knew the DOC was involved up until the Chronic and maybe beyond.

I am wondering specifically about the Chronic and 2001.

Thx.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Pretty sure I remember the still dre 12" had a writing credit for S. Carter...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah man Jay-Z wrote "Still Dre" that schitt wasn't even a secret.

Thats why I remembered that. It was widely rumored, then one day I remember looking at the 12 and being surprised they didn't work something out off the books. Straight up "Jay wrote this."

That second verse is blatant Hov too. There's other tracks where its clearly Em.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    There's other tracks where its clearly Em.

There's another MC on 2000 that Dre sounds like as well, especially on the slo-flow stuff.

The dude that was supposed to go solo.

• DOC is the man, I still listen to his No One Can Do It Better on the reg

• I thought Royce wrote a lot of the 2001 stuff. Didn't he put out some white labels a few years back that were just him spitting the rhymes he wrote for this album?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i remember a story when the 2nd chronic LP was coming out that one of Eminems boys wrote most of the album but dropped hints in an interview and Dre pulled the album and rerecorded a bunch of tracks. i was talking with JGrand who had a different mix of the album then the one the label was pushing to me.

...or maybe it was the 1st chronic LP. its been so long i cant remember.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i'm pretty certain doc still works with dre.

peace, stein. . .

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    T.I's been doing alot of the new dre stuff along w/ wayne.

2001 was mostly royce, d.o.c, hitman and em' w/ contributions from jay-z. as a matter of fact my favorite track on the album had no involvement from dre at all....... Cause "The Message" was written by royce and produced by lord finesse w/ the chorus written by rell.

peace,xavier

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i was thinking of royce... thanks x.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I just wondered if rap ghostwriting is universally accepted on the strut. I didn't know Dre wasn't writing his own rhymes although it obviously never was a big secret. In my small world rappers still have to write by themselves to be respected but maybe I'm just terribly

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    the homie hittman is in w/ dre on alot of the detox sessions. the stuff i've heard so far is intense...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Someone who would know just told me the other day how RBX wrote pretty much all of Snoop's early songs, at least the ones that weren't Snoop just freestyling ala Tha Shiznit.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I just wondered if rap ghostwriting is universally accepted on the strut. I didn't know Dre wasn't writing his own rhymes although it obviously never was a big secret. In my small world rappers still have to write by themselves to be respected but maybe I'm just terribly

Ideally that's how it would be, at least in my private mindgarden. It's weird for a rapper to be saying rhymes like "I'm this" and "I'm that" when not only are you probably not "this" or "that," but you weren't even the one who came up with the "this" and "that" that you might be but probably aren't.
    but at the end of the day, a hot song's a hot song. I'm not gonna front.

Scratch Magazine put a lot of Dre's shit on blast in that big Detox article from way back. Talkin' bout how Eminem wrote Dre's verse on "Forgot about Dre." Now it seems obvious, but when I first heard that cut I was like "Damn, Dre completely snapped off on that one!" Little did I know.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    wow. and here i thought snoop was writing for dre during that time period. i know that the d.o.c. has written with snoop on alot of recent songs.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i remeber in scratch that dude smitty was saying he ghost wrote for n.y mixtape punch line style rappers. it's like theres unsigned dudes out there f*cking hiring d-level artists to ghost write their shit?!!!!? it's so crazy.

w/ dre and diddy i think it's understandable, they're really busy (i guess) but papoose and those in his leauge have nothing but time on their hands to write some garbage ass rhymes about how they're gonna bring n.y back.

peace,xavier

Man, dudes have been reciting their more gifted homies' rhymes since the early days. This is not some new, superstar-calibre thing.

Should we all throw out our NWA records because Cube was writing for Eazy?

And should we throw out our Cube records when Del was writing for him?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    But del was cubes cousin, cube was in a group w/ eazy.

i'm talking about no name dudes hiring other no name dudes (w/ no relation to one another other than being no name rappers) to write their shit. cube was touring, promoting and maintaining an actual career, plus he figured give his cousin a check and maybe open doors for him.

it's nothing to me if dudes don't write their shit, as long as it sounds good. like, i could hear that rick ross didn't write a word on his new album and it would still be my favorite release this year, so far.

peace,xavier

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Im with you there. I'm still trying to get used to rappers doing 'covers' of old songs. Im from that old school mindset that if you didnt write it, you shouldnt rap it.... but i guess things have to evolve over time.
    And those cats could easily argue...if you didnt play it, don't sample it....hehehehe

Then again Roxanne Shante had here rimes written by Kane and G Rap, no?

At least Dre is honest about it, and although I hate Diddy, i did like that line "I dont write rimes, I write cheques"...I think mad Skills wrote that one....

Now I wanna know who gets credit for writing that classic (sacrasm face on) Dre line 'cus I'm just like a clock when i tick and I tock"....
    What did that line cost him, 25 cents? Or is that an example of Dre writing for himself?

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    There's other tracks where its clearly Em.

There's another MC on 2000 that Dre sounds like as well, especially on the slo-flow stuff.

The dude that was supposed to go solo.

Hittman?

• So Still Dre was neither produced nor written by Dr Dre, huh. Did he do anything on the chronic 2001?

I can't believe how many people seem genuinely surprised by this.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    So Still Dre was neither produced nor written by Dr Dre, huh. Did he do anything on the chronic 2001?
    he made it sound good.

So Still Dre was neither produced nor written by Dr Dre, huh. Did he do anything on the chronic 2001?

He provided the weed.....

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    I can't believe how many people seem genuinely surprised by this.

They probably can't believe Daft Punk used samples for all their tracks either. This and Dre seem to be the two conversations that come up time and time again.