Monterey, ca

young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Any streutters reside there? Might take a visit wondering what goes on there. My friend once described it as thee armpit of california or something but is heavy trying to get me to visit, thx

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I love Monterey. I've found good records there, the aquarium is awesome and there's good seafood (not at the aquarium).

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    My friend once described it as thee armpit of california

haha! for really? there are way more armpit-like places in california than monterey.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    My friend once described it as thee armpit of california

haha! for really? there are way more armpit-like places in california than monterey.

Enough so that this statement couldn't be more wrong. No town on the California coastline is in the running for "armpit" status. I was just in Pacific Grove for a wedding a month ago. There are two record shops, less than a mile apart, on the same street. Both way better than I expected.

The Monterrey Aquarium is world-class, and usually appeals even to those who wouldn't otherwise visit anything educational.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I've only been there briefly a couple of times, but it seemed pretty damn nice to me. If you don't like it, drive down the coast and have some drinks outside at Nepenthe and then check out Big Sur.

If you can't dig that, I don't want to know you.

• big sur looks good

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Forget Monterey, it's all about Carmel by the Sea

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

• Maybe your friend had it confused with Modesto.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Your friend is a crackhead.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Any streutters reside there? Might take a visit wondering what goes on there. My friend once described it as thee armpit of california or something but is heavy trying to get me to visit, thx

Monterrey Bay is kinda armpit-shaped. That's about all I got.

Definitely spend a full day/weekend in Big Sur if u do end up going.

• tortatorta 5 Posts
    I'm from salinas, the valley to the monterey coast. Monterey is sorta like a 40+ couples vacation spot. We got 2 decent record stores in monterey and some bomb ass food spots. I'd recommend heading a bit north as well, santa cruz has a lot going on for it. Record stores, food spots, hiking, beaches, bitches, and bomb. Big sur is pristine, you gotta check them redwoods.and you might as well check out sf on your stay, west coast this shit up. (831)

• tortatorta 5 Posts
    Oh ya, salinas has the steinbeck museum. We burnt his books, but hey, we like money too. Hollaire if you want specific spot recommendations.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    SALAS!!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Your friend is a crackhead.

uh, yeah.

Monterey is beautiful. I would get extraordinarily bored there but damn is it ever nice. Record stores are worth hitting as well. As is the surrounding area, as is the Salinas area. I've always wanted to go horseback riding in Salinas...there are spaces that are so intact that you can really imagine what CA was like back when it was Mexico.

Big Sur, however, is the spot. Absolutely like no other, totally magical place.

• word, thanks all. looks like a trip to big sur is definitely in order. and yes my friend is a crackhead

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    There's a great farmers market in downtown Monterey once a week (Tuesdays I think) which I highly recommend. DC has some local farmers' markets but nothing compared to this one. Amazing produce, cheese, fish, everything. Getting hungry just typing this...

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    have not been since childhood but i remeber monterey being beautiful.

peace, stein. . .

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    There's a great farmers market in downtown Monterey once a week (Tuesdays I think) which I highly recommend. DC has some local farmers' markets but nothing compared to this one. Amazing produce, cheese, fish, everything. Getting hungry just typing this...

Yes this farmers market is the bees knees. Even fresher produce than the Santa Cruz one.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I went there for a motorcycle race recently (as in, not as a child...more of a manchild yadig), and I was fully blown away...

the whole nature scene is off the charts...it was during those fires, and we couldn't even get to all the spots, but it was amazing... that Pt Lobos State Reserve is unfuckwittable, for serious bro. I was tripping. And I seen some stuff too man but whoa