Rep Your Curry

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Makin this internet recipe for the 2nd time tonight, expecting big things cause I was actually able to find some tamarind this time, had to hit Mosco st (whudup Batmon).
King Prawn CurryThis is so quick and easy to make, whilst leaving the prawns to marinade you can put some rice on the boil and make up the curry sauce which only takes minutes to prepare.16 large raw prawns, retain shells, leave on tail1 teaspoon sea salt1 teaspoon lemon juice1 teaspoon turmericHalf teaspoon chilli powder3 tablespoons non-flavoured oilFor the Curry3 tablespoons non flavoured oil2 onions, rough chopped5 garlic cloves, sliced2.5cm/1 inch ginger, peeled and grated4 green chillies, sliced1 green pepper, cut in 2.5cm/1 inch pieces1 tsp ground coriander1 teaspoon ground cumin6 ripe tomatoes cut in chunks4 tablespoons tamarind waterleaf coriander, sliced spring onions, deep-fried shallots and lime wedges to garnishCombine the salt, lemon juice, turmeric and chilli powder with the oil and massage this mix into the prawns and marinate for 15 mins.Meanwhile to make the curry base, heat the oil in a large frying pan add the onions and cook for 6 mins until translucent but not brown.Add the garlic, ginger, chillies and green pepper and cook for 3 mins, stirring regularly. Now add the spices, tomatoes and tamarind and cook for a further 2-3 Mins. Season to taste.then cook the prawns in a hot frying pan for 2 mins, turning once, then add them to the curry base and cook for a further 2 mins.Serve the curry with boiled rice or Nan bread.
Rep your curry peoples..

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    That looks really good!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

chicken vindaloo. but i can't cook it yet.

peace, stein. . .

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Doin thangs!

We cooked some salmon last night, and though I saved a bunch by buying the farm raised one, tonight's covered too, and I was able to buy big dinner for 2 people, 2 nights, for under 30 bucks. I gotta stop ordering in so much, Fairway is the joint...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Red Curry is a must.

Tamarind shouldnt be that hard to find.

I never attempted to make my own Curry. Sounds very satifying, but the last of ingrediants is crazy.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I went to the new Penzeys spice shop here in Richmond this weekend. They had like 5 kinds of Paprika. I highly recommend checking one of their stores if they are in your area. That curry recipe looks good, thanks.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

love me some panang curry

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ronald Curry:

Steph & Dell Curry

• DescryDescry 229 Posts

• rogbrogb 172 Posts

So Hawaiian.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    So Hawaiian.

Damn right.

BTW -

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    Jungle Curry with Roast Duck

At work so no recipe, but this guy mentions the David Thompson book I learnt it from after spending a couple months in Thailand falling in love with the food and beaches - those Australian chefs know how to make some seriously authentic yet totally upscale Thai food too.... sampled some great food at The Longgrain in Melb last week. Broke the bank but sooooo good.
    http://dinnerdiary.org/2008/03/10/thai-odyssey-part-3-jungle-curry-of-duck/

• squiidsquiid 35 Posts
    Not sure if this would properly be called a 'curry,' as it's south Indian (a recipe modified from one belonging to my Tamil girlfriend's mother's); but:

4 medium - large potatoes
    2-4 tablespoons black mustard seeds
    2-4 tablespoons dried lentils (forget the exact kind)
    Many leaves of coriander (to taste)
    Madras curry powder (to taste)
    Sambar powder (to taste)
    Garam Masala (to taste)
    1 whole onion, chopped
    garlic (to taste, chopped
    sea salt (to taste)
    1 tablespoon tumeric
    1 tablespoon paprika
    2-4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste, if you're weak)
    handful fresh chilies, sliced vertically down middle
    4 tablespoons cooking oil (EVO preferably)

Boil potatoes until soft; hand-peel and dice (medium-large).

While potatoes boil, fry lentils and mustard seeds in oil until they begin to pop.
    Add onions and garlic; fry until golden.
    Add chilies.
    Add potatoes.
    Coat generously with chili powder, Madras curry powder, garam masala, sambar powder, tumeric, and paprika.
    Flip potatoes and repeat coating on flip-side.
    Add salt.
    Add coriander.

Serve with basmati rice and a side of either tomato pachadi or simple sour cream and enjoy your simple potatoes.

Tomato pachadi is little more than chilies, mustard seed, coriander, and tomatoes, fried, then added to a mixture of nearly equal parts sour cream and yogurt.

This whole dish has a proper name, I just forget the Tamil.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    jamaican ital curry stew.

has to have jamaican pumpkin and calaloo in addition to onions, scallions, ginger, garlic, curry, scotch bonnet, irish, yam, carrots, thyme and plantain. and if you add fresh coconut it gets even yummier.