Older Rap Tracks that are Hot Now

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Everywhere I go lately, even on the radio, I hear DJ Quik's Tonite.Others that have fallen in that category within the past year or so would be MC Breed's Ain't No Future in yo Frontin and N2Deep's Back to the Hotel. Of course down here, you're gonna hear Texas staples like Southside, Tops Drop, and 25 Lighters throughout...those don't change.What are the older rap tracks that dj's currently can't get enough of in your area?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

What are the older rap tracks that dj's currently can't get enough of in your area?

Dru Down's "Pimp of the Year" still sets it off in Oakland.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    The Heineken Song

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The Heineken Song

not in kansas city

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    tupac "all eyez on me"

ok i haven't actually heard this for long time but it would be nice..

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Is that really on the comeback trail? I played it for the first time in years last month, and it went over kinda but I was mostly playing it as a shoutout to some Philly friends in the crowd.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Is that really on the comeback trail? I played it for the first time in years last month, and it went over kinda but I was mostly playing it as a shoutout to some Philly friends in the crowd.

IMO...

Pimp of the Year = hot
    Glamorous Life = definitely not hot

But if folks somewhere are indeed getting loose to Glamorous Life, then cool...that's the exact kinda quirky info I was looking for with this thread.

But nah, that is not a track that I would play.

Dogg Pound's What Would U Do on the other hand...

I think almost any rap from this era runs the risk of missing it's mark when played out these days, though. I've just noticed this getting more play lately than I ever remember it getting.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" is making a comeback now that Heineken used it in a commercial.

But if folks somewhere are indeed getting loose to Glamorous Life, then cool...that's the exact kinda quirky info I was looking for with this thread.

This is also a regional thing. Perhaps more Baltimore than Philly, even.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" is making a comeback now that Heineken used it in a commercial I performed it at karaoke a couple of weeks ago.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

This is also a regional thing. Perhaps more Baltimore than Philly, even.

Cool, thanks. Seems like this thread would have more examples provided. Then again, maybe I asked the wrong crowd.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Biz Markie's "Just a Friend" is making a comeback now that Heineken used it in a commercial I performed it at karaoke a couple of weeks ago.

Heineken Biting The Blowed.

I think almost any rap from this era runs the risk of missing it's mark when played out these days, though. I've just noticed this getting more play lately than I ever remember it getting.

Oh no doubt--this stuff is way too old for the average clubgoer. But I love hearing that some folks will still get down to it.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

I dont recall this song ever slippin' into the No-Play Zone.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    I've heard "Bitties In The BK Lounge" in a couple of spots and it didn't drive the spot crazy, though I certainly acted stupid.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

What are the older rap tracks that dj's currently can't get enough of in your area?

Dru Down's "Pimp of the Year"

i get at least one person approaching me with some "i had that on cassette in 8th grade!!!" type story every time i play it.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    On a bad note. I just heard an atrocious hip housy bubble gum cover by some female rapper of Rob Base and EZ Rock- "It Takes Two"....

They sped the OG sample and beat up, layed some shitty tinny drums under it and got some excuse for an MC top re do the verses....arrggghhhh

They have ruined one of my favourite songs........

On a bad note. I just heard an atrocious hip housy bubble gum cover by some female rapper of Rob Base and EZ Rock- "It Takes Two"....

They sped the OG sample and beat up, layed some shitty tinny drums under it and got some excuse for an MC top re do the verses....arrggghhhh

I'm sorry, what was that last part again?

Heineken Biting The Blowed.

Are you suggesting my rendition blowed? Because that would be bad grammar.

And the crowd loved it.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

I hear this on the radio all the time.

I'm sorry, what was that last part again?

Your not a fan of Mr Base & Mr Rock? Damn your missing out.... what next your gonna tell me Mantronix is wack?

• On a bad note. I just heard an atrocious hip housy bubble gum cover by some female rapper of Rob Base and EZ Rock- "It Takes Two"....

was it this...or as bad as this?

Yeah thats the one... cheers. Now I know who to hurl abuse and beer bottles at if I ever se them around.....

I mean, he could have kept the original vocals at least.

I hope rob and e z got paid well at least .

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Everywhere I go lately, even on the radio, I hear DJ Quik's Tonite.

Others that have fallen in that category within the past year or so would be MC Breed's Ain't No Future in yo Frontin and N2Deep's Back to the Hotel.

These 3 have never gone out of style here. "Back To The Hotel" is a cholo classic!

• What are the older rap tracks that dj's currently can't get enough of in your area?

Dru Down's "Pimp of the Year"

i get at least one person approaching me with some "i had that on cassette in 8th grade!!!" type story every time i play it.

Ha. Dru Down has shown up at my Friday/Saturday parties 2-3 times in the last month. I think one of my security dudes is his cousin.

Aside from a handful of West Coast classics ("Boyz in the Hood", "It's Funky Enough", "Life Is Too $hort", etc.), I'm finding it harder and harder to move crowds with anything pre-1995 (and sometimes pre-2005).

I think in part it's because I've got a particularly young crowd to deal with but in any club situation you've gotta figure that the youngest people in the club were like 7 years old in 1995. I mean, when you were 21, how much music that came out when you were 7 or younger were you rocking to in a club?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

I dont recall this song ever slippin' into the No-Play Zone.

From date of release it never came out of that zone.

Not saying I've noticed these played out too much, but I try to fit them in when I DJ because I think they still sound relatively contemporary (plus they've been recycled by contemporary artists)...