EBAY buyer claiming significantly not as described

ddownddown 65 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I just got a message from Paypal that they were freezing some of my funds because one of my buyers filed a claim because he thought my records were "significantly not as described." I've never received any negative feedback about my record grading before.Now, he wants a FULL refund of the price of records AND he's going to keep my records! He did say that I didn't have to refund the shipping cost. But still, I lose money and I lose my records. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice? Am I screwed?Can they do this based on a difference of opinion on the condition of the records? Again, I've never had any complaints about my grading before.Actually, if he's unhappy, I'm willing to send a partial refund (even most of it). But refunding ALL of the purchase price AND letting him have my records is just unfair.This is such a headache (plus he's threatening to elevate to a dispute status so he can get ALL of his money, including shipping costs) that I might just give him what he wants.

Comments

• Collectingobesessions?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The seller horror stories about eBay are even worse than the buyer ones.

People are getting straight JACKED for their possessions, and eBay/Paypal are like "shit happens"

• No he has to send you your record back E-bay isn't that @!#$% crude.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    No he has to send you your record back E-bay isn't that @!#$% crude.

Yeah, he has to provide proof that he sent them back.

Of course he sounds like someone who would send you back some Phil Collins Lps claiming they were Mulatus.

What's the ebay name?

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    The records cost about $40 and the postage was $40 (germany).

He's saying I need to refund him $40 AND he gets to keep the records. Otherwise, he's threatening to elevate the dispute and try to get all $80 while keeping the records. He keeps saying he gets to keep the records.

But, if he MUST return the records, I'd rather pay him the full $80 and get my records back.

But here's what I'm worried about. He's claiming that the records were trashed (they weren't). If he's forced to return the records, I bet he WILL trash them before returning them.

In other words, sending back some Phil Collins Lps claiming they were Mulatus.

So for me, it's (1) lose $40 and my records or (2) lose $80 and probably get my records back all jacked.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Just out of curiosity:
    What record/kind of music is it?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    ..the postage was $40 (germany).

why is the postage that much? I'll buy 12" records from the us on the regular and shipping is always max 20$.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    It was a lot of 12 James Brown LPs.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I just got a message from Paypal that they were freezing some of my funds because one of my buyers filed a claim because he thought my records were "significantly not as described." I've never received any negative feedback about my record grading before.

Now, he wants a FULL refund of the price of records AND he's going to keep my records! He did say that I didn't have to refund the shipping cost. But still, I lose money and I lose my records.

Has this happened to anyone? Any advice? Am I screwed?

Can they do this based on a difference of opinion on the condition of the records? Again, I've never had any complaints about my grading before.

Actually, if he's unhappy, I'm willing to send a partial refund (even most of it). But refunding ALL of the purchase price AND letting him have my records is just unfair.

This is such a headache (plus he's threatening to elevate to a dispute status so he can get ALL of his money, including shipping costs) that I might just give him what he wants.

You got his address dont you? Go get yo shit back!

nah from a buyers point of view, firstly I didnt know we had that much power, but if i wasnt happy and asked for a refund i would send the records back... thats sus.... whats Paypal saying about it?

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    ddown,

The crap I sold on ebay wasn't worth much so I never had problems with customers but my wife, the purse seller, had all sorts of issues with folks that couldn't read item descriptions or email responses to their questions about an auction.

They would then win the auction and complain that my wife misrepresented her product when they got it. Its one of the many reasons my wife is out of the ebay game.

The "I get to keep the records and get a refund or I will spike you" is complete BS. You have his emails basically extorting you. I would calmly respond back that you will refund his purchase price and return shipping but until the items in question are returned, its a no go. Basically, let him know that you will fight. Document the hell out of everything.

Before my wife dropped out of ebay, we would take photos of the item during packing to show the condition of the item and to record any unique id numbers. The prevent folks from sending back fakes.

Good luck, you are going to need it, because Ebay is a buyers market and unless you are a major seller you are on your own.

• In my experience with paypal a used item that the buyer claims is overgraded does not apply as significantly not as described but if described as new would.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    Saracenus,

Thanks for the tip. I, too, am thinking about quitting. With stuff like this and exorbitant ebay/paypal fees, it's just not worth it.

I've been really polite to the guy (maybe that was my mistake) but he's been getting increasingly hostile. His last message was straight up wrong.

Anyway, I did what you guys suggested and took this to paypal/ebay. I agreed to give him a full refund, but he has to return my records. If he does return my records, I bet they'll be all jacked.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Have paypal make him send it back. He will have to prove shipping and generally the guys who pull this scam are too cheap to send anything so they just let it go.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    In my experience with paypal a used item that the buyer claims is overgraded does not apply as significantly not as described but if described as new would.

What does this mean? Describe, please.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    In my experience with paypal a used item that the buyer claims is overgraded does not apply as significantly not as described but if described as new would.

What does this mean? Describe, please.

This is a situation up with which I would not put.

• Options

This is a situation up with which I would not put.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Where in germany does the guy live?