Ebay dealers passing reissues off as originals

2»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    If there's no other suggestions I don't see why not!

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    ask him his phone number so you can call him collect and he can play it for you over the phone

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    say: "That's truly unfortunate news about the metal adapter. Unfortunately, due to a sham surgery as a child to alleviate the symptoms of a rare anteater bite I have 6 shards of metal in my upper right deltoid muscle. I'm unable to come within 5 feet of any metal objects as the magnetic fields attract the shards which then cut into my muscle, causing unbearable pain to the point of losing consciousness.

I'm sorry, but this means that I will be unable to bid on your auction. This makes me very sad, as I've been looking for this particular record for 30 years now, and was prepared to lend my wife to a friend for 1 month in return for $500 to win this record. I'm sure you can understand how disappointed I am that this record contains a metal adapter, which as you know were only used a long time ago and must mean that this record is very old, perhaps even an original pressing."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    His response:

As far as I know it's the first pressing, based on the collection it came from I know it is definitely not a recent record (note the metal adapter, all the 45s from this collection have them and they didn't use those for very long). If there are any other distinctions you want me to check on the label or code numbers let me know. Thanks for your interest!

Any suggestions on follow up questions that will cause maximum effort / annoyance?

Metal adapters were produced long ago, but you can put one in a brand new record.
    Also they almost always leave marks, sometimes chips, when you try to remove them.

Explain about how metal adapters do not prove first press.
    Ask for run out groove #s.
    When he replies, ask him if he is sure it is a "7" and not an upside down "L", as the first press had one and the second another.
    When he replies, ask him if the run off #s are stamped or scratched.
    Then ask him if the numbers are oriented toward the spindle hole or the outer edge.
    Then ask him if the numbers are standard 1/4" or the larger 5/8".
    Never stop.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    say: "That's truly unfortunate news about the metal adapter. Unfortunately, due to a sham surgery as a child to alleviate the symptoms of a rare anteater bite I have 6 shards of metal in my upper right deltoid muscle. I'm unable to come within 5 feet of any metal objects as the magnetic fields attract the shards which then cut into my muscle, causing unbearable pain to the point of losing consciousness.

I'm sorry, but this means that I will be unable to bid on your auction. This makes me very sad, as I've been looking for this particular record for 30 years now, and was prepared to lend my wife to a friend for 1 month in return for $500 to win this record. I'm sure you can understand how disappointed I am that this record contains a metal adapter, which as you know were only used a long time ago and must mean that this record is very old, perhaps even an original pressing."

hahaha... david thorne?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts

x

leave neg feedback if they don't refund.

the correct answer is: i'm sorry for the mistake i'll give you a complete refund immediately.

peace, stein. . .

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    metal spindle adapters piss me off, they will not come out without screwing the label/hole & look ugly. Ask him to remove the spindle adapter then re-photograph the 45. Then complain about the damage.

metal spindle adapters piss me off, they will not come out without screwing the label/hole & look ugly. Ask him to remove the spindle adapter then re-photograph the 45. Then complain about the damage.

YES!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I've bought many re-ish's from sellers who claim they're OG. Never had prob's w/ refunds... you should nail his ass.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Who had the run off grooves for this record?

Yes, please. Anybody have them?

Thanks!

it's just the catalogue #, PLP 43

• Here's what I don't understand, how does scorpio get a way with doing what they do?

Here's what I don't understand, how does scorpio get a way with doing what they do?
    They are connected to the mafia.

Here's what I don't understand, how does scorpio get a way with doing what they do?

Alot of what Scorpio sells is legit.
    Like all the Columbia and Fantasy stuff.

My guess for other stuff?
    If rights owners say something Scorpio makes an offer they can't refuse.

Maybe when James Brown [or someone like him] complains they say, hey Polydor aint doing it, here's $$$ there will be more later.
    Or if Polydor complains they say the same thing.
    Or if James Brown complains they say, we have a deal with Polydor talk to them.
    And visa versa.

That or they send some agents around negotiate.

Either way they are well connected in the industry and are a "legit" cut out house with lots of muscle.

Alot of what Scorpio sells is legit.
    Like all the Columbia and Fantasy stuff.

My guess for other stuff?
    If rights owners say something Scorpio makes an offer they can't refuse.

Maybe when James Brown [or someone like him] complains they say, hey Polydor aint doing it, here's $$$ there will be more later.
    Or if Polydor complains they say the same thing.
    Or if James Brown complains they say, we have a deal with Polydor talk to them.
    And visa versa.

That or they send some agents around negotiate.

Either way they are well connected in the industry and are a "legit" cut out house with lots of muscle.
    Yes, people need to remember that "legit" doesn't always equal "good quality".

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    where did the name "Scorpio" come from? Is that really the name of the company, or just a nickname given to these reissue folks by internet obsessives? they always just duplicate the record (basically), so how does everyone know the company is called scorpio?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    where did the name "Scorpio" come from? Is that really the name of the company, or just a nickname given to these reissue folks by internet obsessives? they always just duplicate the record (basically), so how does everyone know the company is called scorpio?

I do a fair amount of biz with them, they are indeed Scorpio.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Do they have a website or something. The reason I ask is because I'm in the process of providing proof of "non-originality" to Paypal & want to present some more evidence.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Do they have a website or something. The reason I ask is because I'm in the process of providing proof of "non-originality" to Paypal & want to present some more evidence.

No website, per se, but here's their info:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:iqH5...lient=firefox-a

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The owner of Scorpio actually comes into our shop once a year and buys a shit ton of records. There is a good chance some of our records have been the OGs for some of their piratess.

They dont have a website, they just send out spreadsheets of their stock.

I think you would be wise to charge that you received a pirate/bootleg copy.

I would be careful about naming Scorpio.
    G related.

• that seller should have his balls removed no pain medicine

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    re Scorpio: I have a friend who has worked with them on some reissues and a lot of them are licensed. The impression I get is that they just send lists to whatever giant company that now owns the right to X or Y label and get the OK and press cheapo vinyl sourced copies. Or, I guess some labels like Columbia actually press up their own which they order in bulk. This is what I hear anyhow and it sounds totally plausible.