Ebay dealers passing reissues off as originals

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I just received a reissue that was passed off as an og and I'm trying to get a refund. Here's a question I asked before bidding as well as the reply he gave me:Me - "Hi, is this a reissue? Thanks"Him - "No, it is the original, thanks for asking!"The record is blatantly not an original, inside cardboard is glossy smooth white cardboard, record label colors and writing on the Perception label are off & everything about it screams of a reissue.I asked for a total refund and here's what he replied over the course of the past couple of days:"in what way is it not original? the label and number match the info when I checked, what is different to say it isn't original? I did my best to confirm, let me know what I missed."then a couple of days later;"Let me know what you think is fair to resolve this and I'll let you know what I can do, thanks"and now;"Your complaint is that you think the record is a reissue based on how the inside of the sleeve looks to you - you asked if it is the original issue and this is the correct stock number of the correct record label - the label doesn't acknowledge any reisssue, so basically you are saying I should give you a full refund with shipping because you think it might be a later pressing of the original issue (which is *NOT* the same as a reissue), and you are willing to send the record back if I pay you to. I'm sorry, the answer is no. I was willing to consider a partial refund to make sure you are happy with your purchase, which I consider fair, but you don't sound interested in that. Next time ask if the record is a first pressing, that is the correct term for what you are talking about."Any help is truly appreciated.

Comments

• item not as described? if u can prove it's a re-ish

ppl dont get their money back when getting blatantly fucked though so it's up for grabs, good luck

• I just received a reissue that was passed off as an og and I'm trying to get a refund. Here's a question I asked before bidding as well as the reply he gave me:

Me - "Hi, is this a reissue? Thanks"

Him - "No, it is the original, thanks for asking!"

The record is blatantly not an original, inside cardboard is glossy smooth white cardboard, record label colors and writing on the Perception label are off & everything about it screams of a reissue.

I asked for a total refund and here's what he replied over the course of the past couple of days:

"in what way is it not original? the label and number match the info when I checked, what is different to say it isn't original? I did my best to confirm, let me know what I missed."

then a couple of days later;

"Let me know what you think is fair to resolve this and I'll let you know what I can do, thanks"

and now;

"Your complaint is that you think the record is a reissue based on how the inside of the sleeve looks to you - you asked if it is the original issue and this is the correct stock number of the correct record label - the label doesn't acknowledge any reisssue, so basically you are saying I should give you a full refund with shipping because you think it might be a later pressing of the original issue (which is *NOT* the same as a reissue), and you are willing to send the record back if I pay you to. I'm sorry, the answer is no. I was willing to consider a partial refund to make sure you are happy with your purchase, which I consider fair, but you don't sound interested in that. Next time ask if the record is a first pressing, that is the correct term for what you are talking about."

Any help is truly appreciated.

That's some bullshit hair-splitting. Who's the seller???

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    File a claim with Paypal that the item was not as described. They'll have you ship it back with signed delivery. You'll be out the cost to return but will get a refund for the original purchase price and postage. This seller sounds like a jerk with his word games.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    did you spend over $75? because if you didn't, relax, take a deep breath, accept the partial refund, and crack a beer and laugh when you drop the neg on him.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I'm still gona drop a neg on him regardless. He aint gettin' away with this. It's not necessarily about the money, its the principal. If this happened to me it probably happened to others who either can't tell the difference or just didn't notice.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Beware the Scorpio.

Who's the seller???

I didn't initially wan to put him on blast but he goes by the name:

collectingobsessions[/b]

Feel free to block this giant piece of sh*t.

that really is some smartass shit tho "next time ask if the record is a first pressing"

this isnt some superfriends trick me in to saying the name Myxlplyx backwards type game

• chasechase 767 Posts
    if there is no record of an official reissue then wouldn't it be a bootleg?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What a f*cking douchebag.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Who's the seller???

I didn't initially wan to put him on blast but he goes by the name:

collectingobsessions[/b]

Feel free to block this giant piece of sh*t.

I say we bury him with nasty e-mails and pointless questions about his auctions.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    re- issue not the same as a "later pressing"....right....this is why i am scared to buy records on line.

• Options
    What a f*cking douchebag.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    if there is no record of an official reissue then wouldn't it be a bootleg?

Yeah if you're pretty sure about this, I'd definitely include the word "bootleg" when you drop your neg on him.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    you asked if it is the original issue and this is the correct stock number of the correct record label - the label doesn't acknowledge any reisssue, so basically you are saying I should give you a full refund with shipping because you think it might be a later pressing of the original issue (which is *NOT* the same as a reissue), and you are willing to send the record back if I pay you to. I'm sorry, the answer is no. I was willing to consider a partial refund to make sure you are happy with your purchase, which I consider fair, but you don't sound interested in that. Next time ask if the record is a first pressing, that is the correct term for what you are talking about."

Uh, no. A first pressing is an original pressing. The terms are synonymous. Like "douchebag" and "collectingobsessions."

He could split hairs if we are talking about two pressings that happened within a year or two of one another, but the LP in question is a 2000-era bootleg.

b/w

He's got a bunch of $2 records for sale. Now I'm not going to advocate paying a few dollars just to leave negative feedback, but....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Your next reply is very simple:

"You are correct, this is technically not a reissue, but a bootleg, and plainly
    so. I expect a full refund including return shipping or I will report you to
    eBay for selling unlicensed bootleg LPs. Thank you."

I reckon with sellers like this we should do like a soulstrut direct action thing and all just converge on this seller like a freakin' rebel army. Stupid questions, fake bids, and anything else that will lead to this guy getting annoyed and flustered, or thrown off ebay. I'm in.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I'm guessing it's the Fatback Band "People Music" LP. That was one of the first records scorpio bootlegged. Tell him you will trade it for the Pez dispenser gun. Or, better yet, the GI JOE BUZZ ALDRIN APOLLO ASTRONAUT FIGURE MISB NRFB. Dude does not know about records. He's like the Antique Mall record dude. Lost. Get your money back. Who had the run off grooves for this record?

I say we bury him with nasty e-mails and pointless questions about his auctions.

him waking up to 300 strutter questions about "first pressings" and requests for runout groove numbers would be pretty hilarious

so would someone msging him this thread so he could attempt to respond

• chasechase 767 Posts

yeah, ebay does not pay around with that shit... isn't selling a bootlegs a crime?

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    yeah, ebay does not pay around with that shit... isn't selling a bootlegs a crime?

Depends on who complains. If a major label brings some legal heat, then sure e-bay will be all up in his grill. You, the record collector, not so much. You will be in arbitration.

Just ask my wife who was selling designer handbags on e-bay (the real stuff, not the knock-off crap). After Luis Vuitton, Chanel, Hermes, and Coach went after e-bay like rapid sharks even legit sellers are treated like criminals now (you can only have one bag from each designer up at a time, if you need to re-list you have to wait a month to do it.

Paypal is the lever. They are the one's that will yank money back and freeze accounts in dispute at a drop of a hat.

As for spiking this guys feedback sounds like a lot of work, but if revenge is the desired outcome knock, yourself out.

ha, my sister works for hermes. she has access to the VeRo account. it's like her and 10-15 other marketing people and a ton of interns zapping people's auctions. it's not really anyone's job, just understood that you do your work and if you happen to have some down time, go take out a couple bootleggers. unfortunately i'm sure a lot of honest folks get banned too.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The first thing I usually ask is if the cardboard on the inside of the cover is light brown or white. That would have helped you avoid a problem in this case (assuming an honest answer from the seller). You gotta ask the right questions.

Who had the run off grooves for this record?

Yes, please. Anybody have them?

Thanks!

I just msg'd hi asking if one of his $2.95 BIN 45s was an "original first pressing."

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

isn't selling a bootlegs a crime?

Plus you get your legs broke....

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    this is why i dont buy records from germany any more, had 3 in a row, one specifically stated that it was a Original US Mono Press Bluenote, took deceptive pics, then when it arrived as a 1980's french re, i asked him what was going on, he replied that he was not a record dealer and wasnt to know!

His response:

As far as I know it's the first pressing, based on the collection it came from I know it is definitely not a recent record (note the metal adapter, all the 45s from this collection have them and they didn't use those for very long). If there are any other distinctions you want me to check on the label or code numbers let me know. Thanks for your interest!

Any suggestions on follow up questions that will cause maximum effort / annoyance?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    (note the metal adapter, all the 45s from this collection have them and they didn't use those for very long).

Any suggestions on follow up questions that will cause maximum effort / annoyance?

Ask him what satanic message can be heard in reverse at 33rpm