Flip Investment (record store credit related)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So i thought i'd throw this out to the SS massive for some suggestions. A "friend" of mine did some spring cleaning and, after Ebay, had about 4 crates he went and sold at the local spot. They offered him $800 cash or $900 credit, so he took the $900 credit. Now he's got a bit of buyer/seller remorse for taking the credit and hes' trying to think of ways to play system to make some more $. I recommended taking the credit and investing in some high ticket items, holding onto them for a bit and then tyring to flip them on Ebay for some profit. So, if he goes this route, what kind of stuff might be worth some loot in another year or so? Im thinking big ticket new box-sets (cd or viynl)to sell later as sealed, but i wonder if anyone here has some ideas. This store is pretty much stocked on everything (think Amoeba), so the field is wide open. I'm thinking limited qty pressings and the like might be best. Whose got a crystal ball to gaze into the future and see what will go for $ the next year or two?

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He obviously should have taken the cash, but is he never going to buy music again or something? Just keep the store credit at this point. Don't buy CDs.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    He obviously should have taken the cash. Don't buy CDs.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    who is buying crates for $200 a pop??

what did he have in there that was not worth selling on the bay?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Yeah, he's thinking about going back to see if they'll still do the cash, but we're trying to see if there is a way to make this into something more substantial. This spring cleanig was a bit out a "getting out of the game" sale and hes's not sure if he'll ever spend that much $ on music again. I was thinking small boutiue box-sets ala rhino or that limited vinyl Kind Of Blue boxset that came out a recently. Whose got the scoop? What are the White Stripe 45's of today?

what did he have in there that was not worth selling on the bay?
    In most instances, selling records on Ebay for less that $10 a pop is realy not worth it. Most of the stuff was around that. He tried a few set sales, etc and got the most he could out of it. Plus, he's got a discount card that will get him another 15% off his purchase, so that is gonna add to his profit margin.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That is a truly ridiculous offer. I don't want to sound shitty, but with cash and credit that close for such a large amount he really shouldn't have even needed to think about it.

But yeah, I guess the type of stuff you're talking about 'investing' in could pan out though - at least for eventually getting the $800 that is.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    So i thought i'd throw this out to the SS massive for some suggestions. A "friend" of mine did some spring cleaning and, after Ebay, had about 4 crates he went and sold at the local spot. They offered him $800 cash or $900 credit, so he took the $900 credit. Now he's got a bit of buyer/seller remorse for taking the credit and hes' trying to think of ways to play system to make some more $. I recommended taking the credit and investing in some high ticket items, holding onto them for a bit and then tyring to flip them on Ebay for some profit. So, if he goes this route, what kind of stuff might be worth some loot in another year or so? Im thinking big ticket new box-sets (cd or viynl)to sell later as sealed, but i wonder if anyone here has some ideas. This store is pretty much stocked on everything (think Amoeba), so the field is wide open. I'm thinking limited qty pressings and the like might be best. Whose got a crystal ball to gaze into the future and see what will go for $ the next year or two?

Slowly buy more expensive records that they've accidentally underpriced?

I can't think of any new items that will miraculously be worth more in the next year or two.

You'd have to find something limited edition (that won't still be produced in the next year or two) and then assume that there will be a high enough demand coupled by a low supply to raise prices enough to make it worth the effort. I can't think of anything that fits the bill.

You're only talking about an 11% margin between 800 and 900 dollars anyway. I guess you could buy shit (coupled with the 15% off coupon), sell it at the 15% discount, and perhaps make it back to the $900. But you/he certainly will have earned his extra $100.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    what record store offers $800 cash for 4 crates of records?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That's like $3 a record (65 records per crate). Above average.

• erobertseroberts 36 Posts
    yeah sounds like he got a pretty good deal really. don't buy any "limited" stones throw stuff for investment

That's like $3 a record (65 records per crate). Above average.

Yes it was above average and i was really surprised at what they paid out.
    Not sure if it was a bad vinyl buyer or what.
    Vinyl buying in lots for retail spots (from what i can tell), is a pretty tricky thing. When you sell CDs alot of places (around here at least) scan most of them into a Databse and payout based on that. Vinyl obviously takes a bit moire know how.
    But regaredless, he went back last night and they paid him out the cash instead of the credit. We tried to look at it from every angle and it was just too tough to find a sure fire investment.
    Thanks for all the input and advice. It was worth a shot.