Paypal drama....???

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
So i just got a message from Paypal that someone tried to access my account on the 7th (come on which one of you fools was it? hehehehe)So they done a limited activity thing on my acount, I had to go in redo my account details and do a new password but now they want me to fax them proof of my address. Hhhmmmmmmm..... The fax number they gave me is a US one, but last time i had a problem i spoke to a customer service guy in Australia, and how the F*ck would US HQ know if my documents are legit or if my address is real?should i be worried? should i close the shit down? has anyone had same thing happen to them? is it common?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Sounds to me like you just got tooken, dude. I would change all your shit immediately... IMO.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Sounds to me like you just got tooken, dude. I would change all your shit immediately... IMO.

Yup.

• So i just got a message from Paypal that someone tried to access my account on the 7th (come on which one of you fools was it? hehehehe)

So they done a limited activity thing on my acount, I had to go in redo my account details and do a new password but now they want me to fax them proof of my address.

Hhhmmmmmmm..... The fax number they gave me is a US one, but last time i had a problem i spoke to a customer service guy in Australia, and how the F*ck would US HQ know if my documents are legit or if my address is real?

should i be worried? should i close the shit down? has anyone had same thing happen to them? is it common?

When you logged into Paypal was there any indicator that there was a problem? If not, and the e-mail was the only notification then I concur that you have been hornswoggled and need to change all info post haste.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Was the message via email and did it give you a link to address the issue? Or, did you actually experience locked down service?

In any case I would call PayPal Customer Service directly and make sure your account hasn't been compromised. If a legit paypal custserv rep gives you the same fax number then ok, but if you get something different, yeah, burn the password you were using because its done.

BTW, my suggestion for security questions is, never make the answer related to the question. Its too easy with google and other searches to come up with personal info on people. Example: Q: What was your first pet's name? A: [random string of digits].

Also, I firewall my financial passwords. Each login that is associated with money (banks, paypal, credit cards, etc) is unique. That way if one gets blown the rest of the accounts don't fall. I never use these passwords with any other account.

I have a password protected and encrypted excel file with all of my passwords so I don't forget them.

Good luck.

• in short:

PAYPAL WILL NEVER ASK YOU TO LOGIN FROM AN EMAIL LINK, PERIOD.

the spoof email have been pretty frequent the last few weeks, and most of 'em are all too obvious: when you check what the url of the supposes login is, it usually reads something like http://thisisnotpaypal.givemeallyourmoney.kthxbai.ru

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• this recently happened to me, i changed all the stuff they wanted asap, they were being slow about it so i rang them up and it was sorted within 24 hrs of calling. I already had my address confirmed and i think they can confirm your address by sending you a letter with a code in that you put in their website.
    in short:
    dont worry, do as they ask, ring them and dont try and close it down, they wont let you.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The lesson, once again:

NEVER LOG IN TO ANY ACCOUNT THROUGH AN EMAIL - EVER!!!!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    thanks for the advice ppl. I didnt log in thru email though, they sent an email telling me the acount had been locked up and I had to go thru the resolution centre... defitently if it was one fo those linked emails I would have hit the alarm bells.

I think (or hope!)Im in the same boat of Djmario.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i usually forward those fake emails to [email]spoof@paypal.com[/email]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had the same email a week or so ago, i forwarded it to [email]spoof@paypal.com[/email] before doing anything & they confirmed it was a hoax. If you were still able to log in to paypal there was no issue to begin with & you have been had. If you didn't follow the link through the email you should be ok.