PORTLAND / SEATTLE - WHATS CRACKIN?

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Im in Portland with a friend. Arrived yesterday.We both collect records. Psych, Jazz, Jazzfunk, Fusion, Soul, Prog, Library, Brazilian + + +-Any good clubs to go to except from The Fix which we already know about?-Any recordshows?-Is it any fleamarkets today & tomorrow (saturday & sunday) ?-Where the F*ck downtown can we find a BIG foodstore?-We arrived late yesterday and only store we found was a little cornerstore downtown selling doo-rags and candy. And premade fast food type of stuff.-We stay at the Marriott Residence Inn, Riverside, Portland.-Anyone here going to the Diamond D dj-set at The Fix?-Any other stuff we should check out?-How do I get to Mississippi records from downtown?-Whats the name & location of the little wierd record store selling wierd records (not sooo far from Mississippi I think) ?Peace,F.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think Rev Shines has a Friday night gig now. But I don't go to clubs.

Sunday June 7th is the Tacoma show. Mostly 45s.
    Erikbeats just had a post about a record swap and beatoff.

There's a flea market on N Lombard and another way out on NE Stark in Gresham.

There is a Safeway at about SW Jefferson and 10th, about 10 blocks from where you are. There is also a Whole Foods on W Burnside near Powells.

I don't go to clubs.

360 Vinyl is on the 700 block of SW Ankeny, right near Broadway and Burnside. Go there and pick up the Guide To Record Stores. I don't know of any record stores near Mississippi, maybe you mean Final Vinyl in St Johns.

#4 bus goes to Mississippi Records.

Give me a call and stop by.

• JahBooGieJahBooGie 92 Posts
    hit up silver platters on 5th and roy if you make it to seattle. they're selling used vinyl again, and it's definitely worth the look.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    hey i'm going to be out in portland in a little under 2 weeks, i would like to know the name of the best mexican restaurant and the best vietnamese restaurant. please.
    oh and if you live out there and you have any scars either from injury or surgery pm me.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hit up silver platters on 5th and roy if you make it to seattle. they're selling used vinyl again, and it's definitely worth the look.

after that hit up Easy St Records in lower queene anne.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

really?
    I guess I have a mid-morning bicycle destination for tomorrow...thanks!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Blowing up the SPOT!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    hey i'm going to be out in portland in a little under 2 weeks, i would like to know the name of the best mexican restaurant and the best vietnamese restaurant. please.
    oh and if you live out there and you have any scars either from injury or surgery pm me.

My favorite Mexican is still La Seranita (If I spelled it right it translated as the little mermaid.) Which is a burrito shack.

I guess the best Viet place I know is Pho Van on 82nd (might have a different name). I used to like the Pho Van in the Pearl, which is now called Silk, but they changed the menu when they changed the name.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts

Erikbeats just had a post about a record swap and beatoff[/b].

Is that what these are called these days? No wonder I don't go.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

My favorite Mexican is still La Seranita (If I spelled it right it translated as the little mermaid.) Which is a burrito shack.

Trust the man La Seranita is the best.
    Get the machaca!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I know you asked for Vietnamese but I wouldn't pass up Pok Pok, a beautiful Thai place that just won restaurant of the year 2 years ago. My friend works there so I can get you in without a crazy wait. They're open for lunch too. For the price you will not believe the food. The chicken wings are outrageous. Here's a partial menu to peruse. Pok Pok Menu PM if you are interested.

There are a ton of Vietnamese joints here. I never felt like any of them are particularly great but I'll ask some friends what they think are the best.

As far as Mexican goes. There are a lot of SF style burrito places. La Sirenita and La Bonita are right next to one another on Alberta. I personally like La Bonita better (chorizo brakfeast burro) but there's really not that much difference. Someone on here mentioned a burrito cart on Division that is pretty good.

That said, there are so many great affordable restaurants here I would spend my time hitting those up. Let me know if you'd like more recommendations.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    With Mexican food there is a question of whether you want the nicer restaurant or the more down home grungy but tasty. If you want more upscale, Nuestra Cocina is really good, although they don't take reservations so the waits can be a little long on the weekend. If you don't mind going to a cart, the above mentioned cart on Division is Taqueria Lindo Michoacan and it is really delicious, in no small part because all of the tortillas are made by hand when you order. Up in my neighbourhood of St. Johns there is a delicious hole in the wall in the back of a Mexican grocery and bakery called Panaderia Santa Cruz.
    For Vietnamese I second the suggestion of Pho Van, although if you want the really tasty ghetto pho I also recommend Pho Oregon on Sandy Boulevard or Pho Hung on Powell. they are not much on atmosphere but they are full of Vietnamese people enjoying really tasty soup.
    I also second the suggestion of Pok Pok. It is not the generic Thai food that you get at a gazillion Thai restaurants with basically the same menus but something better with stronger flavours. I am told by my friends who have been to Thailand that teh food at Pok Pok is more reminiscent of the street food that they got there.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    you guys are the best, all of these places sound delicious!!! thank you. sorry for the thread hijack in the food direction...

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    doo-rags and candy.

To everything turn, turn, turn.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I also second the suggestion of Pok Pok. It is not the generic Thai food that you get at a gazillion Thai restaurants with basically the same menus but something better with stronger flavours. I am told by my friends who have been to Thailand that teh food at Pok Pok is more reminiscent of the street food that they got there.

Nothing against Pok Pok, their food is great, but I've never seen anything there that was even remotely like the food sold by street vendors in Thailand.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

Nothing against Pok Pok, their food is great, but I've never seen anything there that was even remotely like the food sold by street vendors in Thailand.

they said more reminiscent, I can't really vouch personally.
    I also really like a cart called Nong's Khao Man Gai. She only sells one thing, Khao Man Gai, which is a really tasty chicken and rice with a side of brothy soup. Once again can't really vouch myself but I am told that this is classic Thai street food. I am curious if other Portland strutteurs have checked this cart out. If not, I highly reccomend. It is at 10th and Alder downtown.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    pok pok is the soulstrut of thai restaurants...
    some dude telling you HOW IT REALLY WAS.

oh man that's so good i gotta wi-five myself on that shit...

Pok Pok experience, last summer:
    we waited across the street at a little bar and had some drinks...they sat us...we ate...it was great. I can make no claims as to whether it's legit, as I've never been to a full moon party on a thai beach; but I did get the slight suspicion (due to the wait staff's whole steez) that I was dealing with some faux retro imitation throwback bald whiteboy college hiphop historian type situation...

...which, of course, is my whole shit, so I dug it.

Pok Pok!

last weekend was spent in portland. Go to the superPortland Hawthorne zone. There's some joint called "bread and ink," on the corner of Hawthorne and like 35th or so...there is a "waffle window." Walk up there and order the waffle ice cream sandwich. Bomb. Then go to 30th and Hawthorne and it's that Crossroads REcord swapstore, which was neat.