Dallas, Austin & Houston, places to go?

BigBambooBigBamboo 3 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I'm flying to Dallas next week and I also have plans to visit Austin and Houston. I appreciate if anybody has some information to share about where can I find good recordshops, fleamarkets, clubs, etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    texas... bleeeegh!!!

go to Fuel City gas station and get tacos, you won't be disappointed. there's also this bar there called "ships" that i really liked. don't cuss too loud or the old man bartender will ask you to leave. wednesday night karaoke at the goat. check out forever young for records.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    texas... bleeeegh!!!

go to Fuel City gas station and get tacos, you won't be disappointed. there's also this bar there called "ships" that i really liked. don't cuss too loud or the old man bartender will ask you to leave. wednesday night karaoke at the goat. check out forever young for records.

Truth on the Fuel City walk-up window Tacos

My kid hangs out at Ships and the old man bartender is history.

Forever Young is high priced....HPB's are your best bets.

Hererra's for authentic Tex-Mex.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    HPB's are your best bets.
    i scored hard at half price books last time i was there, but it was kind of a fluke. dude was waking in with his collection, and i got him outside. As a resident of NYC I can't say forever young was all that pricey. you won't find a $100 record for $2, but you may find a $200 record for $30.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HPB's are your best bets.
    i scored hard at half price books last time i was there, but it was kind of a fluke. dude was waking in with his collection, and i got him outside. As a resident of NYC I can't say forever young was all that pricey. you won't find a $100 record for $2, but you may find a $200 record for $30.

Did you score at Forever Young??

I trade with them all the time and do find a few things underpriced but they are few and far between.

You're more likely to find a $30 LP for $200.

• In Dallas Bill's Records might be an idea if you want to deal with the owner. Texas is smack full of great food, that angle shouldn't be that hard to find.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    go to fallout lounge on exposition and get yo hipster on.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    texas... bleeeegh!!!

go to Fuel City gas station and get tacos,

yes

bar there called "ships" that i really liked.

yes

wednesday night karaoke at the goat.

never been to the Goat on wed but definitely divey on any night.

check out forever young for records.

yes but ye$$$

b/w

What up Clint T??

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Austin:

Friends of Sound
    Breakaway Records
    Backspin Records
    End of an Ear
    Antone's Records
    Sound on Sound
    Half Price Books

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Houston Food:
    Vietnamese spot is Van Loc
    Dolce Vita
    Los Dos Amigos for old school texmex (just ask High-c)
    Spanish Flower

Houston Records:
    My house
    Sound Exchange
    Cactus
    Vinal Edge if you're up for a serious drive

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Houston:
    Tall Texan
    Silver Slipper

• Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I'm lucky.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    HAI GUYZ I'M GONNA BE IN AUSTIN THIS WEEKEND

Time will be short and I'll be caught up w/a wedding for like half the trip

Friday we'll be staying at the Wyndham Garden on South IH-35 (I think?)

Sunday we'll be at the Hotel San Jose on South Congress Ave

I already see that Friends of Sound is on S Congress too so that will be my one record stop

So basically I'm just wondering about fun (bars and otherwise) and vegetarian-friendly eateries around the area (actually it will be my girl's birthday while we're there so a good spot for a decent but not super expensive dinner would be nice)

We'll have a rental car, and a friend has already recommended we go swim at Barton Springs in Zilker Park

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    HAI GUYZ I'M GONNA BE IN AUSTIN THIS WEEKEND

Time will be short and I'll be caught up w/a wedding for like half the trip

Friday we'll be staying at the Wyndham Garden on South IH-35 (I think?)

Sunday we'll be at the Hotel San Jose on South Congress Ave

I already see that Friends of Sound is on S Congress too so that will be my one record stop

So basically I'm just wondering about fun (bars and otherwise) and vegetarian-friendly eateries around the area (actually it will be my girl's birthday while we're there so a good spot for a decent but not super expensive dinner would be nice)

We'll have a rental car, and a friend has already recommended we go swim at Barton Springs in Zilker Park

This weekend is the Republic of Texas biker rally...which brings tens of thousands of bikers to town from all over the state/country. A bunch of streets surrounding Congress Avenue will be closed down. Traffic will thus be entertaining, but ultimately a bitch.

But yeah, go swim at Barton Springs, it's awesome. Mother's on Duval is the standard vegetarian spot to recommend to out-of-towners, although I'd say go to Fonda San Miguel on North Loop instead. And go see Devin the Dude perform Saturday night at Lamberts which is kinda an upscale spot to be having a rap show.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A bunch of streets surrounding Congress Avenue will be closed down.
    Traffic will thus be entertaining, but ultimately a bitch.

Oof... I'm completely ignorant on the area, but from what I understand we'll be right in the middle of things anyway and can just walk around and find stuff to do?

Mother's on Duval is the standard vegetarian spot to recommend to out-of-towners, although I'd say go to Fonda San Miguel on North Loop instead. And go see Devin the Dude perform Saturday night at Lamberts which is kinda an upscale spot to be having a rap show.

Thanks for the recommendations. I might try to get the folks I'm with to go check Devin - I saw him here last year, otherwise I'd be fiending to go.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Oof... I'm completely ignorant on the area, but from what I understand we'll be right in the middle of things anyway and can just walk around and find stuff to do?

The San Jose is great location. Walking distance to Friends of Sound and a bunch of shops and restaurants.