New Mos Def.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I'm really diggin' this. I'm talking about the whole feel of the album. It seems his love for MF Doom extends beyond the rapps...half these beats seem tailor-made for Doom.And most importantly (to me, at least):It's 100% "woh yoh!" free!!! No annoying singing! (Though he treads dangerously close at times.)

Comments

• absoul85absoul85 64 Posts
    Auditorium with Slick Rick is the shit. 'the Elvis of Baghdad'

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Im not sure what i think about this yet. It has its cool moments but feels very disjointed and has a stoner kinda vibe going on. I'll have to give it repeat listens to make my mind up

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    a stoner kinda vibe going on.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm really diggin' this.

BAN

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    in Hip Hop related news, Freeway signs for Cash Money

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    rey is so efficient

• Options
    rey is so efficient

co-signage...Dude comes through with the quickness!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    the whole feel of the album

I'm shocked that I'm kinda feeling this album too, and for this exact reason. It actually sounds like an album, unlike a lot of other cookie-cutter stuff these days.

That may be a pretty low bar to set, but my expectations were really pretty low..

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Same here! I haven't been feeling hoLmes for a while! I was definitely not expecting much from him and I'll admit this one surprised me. I really am happy with the fact that he's not singing though.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    on a side note, creativity aside:
    this record sounds like shit - laptop guitar center mic and fruity loops style. the bar has never been lower in rap.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    in Hip Hop related news, Freeway signs for Cash Money

It seems like some things were taken out of context during an interview with Freeway. It sounds like Baby Williams wants to sign Freeway or was talking about signing Freeway, but I don't think that this has actually happened.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    doesn't flow that well to me.

few tracks seem REAL out of place. the spanish track really bugs me.

otherwise, tracks like auditorium are heatrocks. i like how he rapped to the oh no beat off of dr. no's. beat beat on there imo.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    this record sounds like shit - laptop guitar center mic and fruity loops style. the bar has never been lower in rap.

Looks like he's been taking production notes from Doom as well.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Am i the only one who doesnt hate his attempts at singing?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Am i the only one who doesnt hate his attempts at singing?

YES. Maybe just you and a few random Europeans and Japanese.

• Options
    I don't hate what he did with "Umi Says". Great track and notfuckwithable. Not too big on his attempts at singing elsewhere though.

• Options

Looks like he's been taking production notes from Doom as well.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    a stoner kinda vibe going on.

A lonely stoner kinda vibe?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I don't hate what he did with "Umi Says". Great track and notfuckwithable. Not too big on his attempts at singing elsewhere though.
    agree with this. umi says + that nike commercial was great. the rest of his 'singing' tracks, hell no.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The Dilla track is fire. Kweli rips it.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I really am happy with the fact that he's not singing though.

i thought i heard quite a bit of singing on there

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Kweli rips it.

peace,xavier

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

For real sonically its pretty muddy. The ideas are there though. People think this flows together well ? Sounds more like a mixtape to me. No attention span related ? It is growing on me though.
    Mos Def = Post Hip Hop

• in Hip Hop related news, Freeway signs for Cash Money

This is not the truth.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Finally got a chance to listen. I think it's ok, which means it's his best since 'both sides'. I deleted the spanish track immediately, that was embarrasing. Really enjoyed Slick Rick's verse, he took a very unique slant on the concept. Still too much singing for me to really get into most of it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Okay, upon my second listen I've noticed there IS some singing, but fortunately more rapping then singing and thankfully no "wo yo's!" A few "oh oh ohhh's" though.

I still like this album. One man's "sh*tty" is another man's "gritty" (sonically speaking).

• HamHam 872 Posts
    that georgia anne muldrow track would have been great if mos def hadn't ruined it...rest of the album sounds ok

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    3.99 download on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ecstatic/dp/B0..._rd_i=163856011

thanks King Most!

• i think its good, I think its creative, and I can relate to what people are saying on the poor sonic quality but I got the impression that his intention was to keep it simple and "lo-fi" with that in mind I think he succeeded, I don't mind most of his singing. Love the dilla track as well as Workers Comp.