Digging In Rome - Help Related!!!

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I'm gonna be in Rome for a couple days next week and I'd love to see what the city has to offer in the way of records. I hear alot about the italian disco, but I don't know what labels/artists to look for or even where to look. I'll be lucky to get an hour to dig, but I'll take it. Any suggestions, idears or knowledge you can throw my way would be fantastic! Thanking you in advance, your pal, Ot.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I love Rome. Amazing food, fashion, architecture, history, art... beautiful people, beautiful city.

If you spend one SECOND of your couple days there looking for records, you've pretty much failed at life.

There's a flea market that my wife and I just barely missed because of a travel schedule conflict... so that might be worth checking... There's a pricey rare groove shop somewhere iirc but I didn't care and didn't go so that's all I can say about that. A couple of thrifts I did set foot in had records - and if you're looking for 80s Rod Stewart at 15 euro you are in luck.

But dude - eat food, sit in a piazza and drink wine, walk around the city, walk around the ruins.... if you have a spare hour, don't spend it looking for records.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    word, thanks for the input. maybe i'll try to find that flea market as the family can probably enjoy that as well. rome is the last stop on a two week trip so i will be really tired of touristy stuff (and hanging out with the family), at that point, but i know i'll want to check it all out anyway.

I would wander aimlessly drinking and eating myself silly before I endeavored to find a single record in Italy.

IMHO life > records

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    What Johnny said...

The five months I lived in Rome were some of the best times of my life. I didn't buy a single record.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    full and complete paycheck cosign

ive spent many days in Rome and have actually wandered around at times looking for records. It was only worth it for the wandering around part!!!!

ROMA!!!!

Next time I go, Tonino, I will probably be in Firenze... ahhhhhh Italia!

• rayray 77 Posts
    ...just returned from Rome a few moths ago...dear lord, please do not waste any time looking for records...

...truly one of the most wonderful cities on this planet...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Next time I go, Tonino, I will probably be in Firenze... ahhhhhh Italia!

When we were recently in Italy, Firenze was the one place I was ready to leave before we left.

That said, I've got THE restaurant for you there. Best dining experience in Italy.

b/w

Passed along your Tuscany recs to a friend. Rave reviews. (our plans led elsewhere, but c'est le vie.)

What's the restaurant? Wife goes often, says she has the same recommendation!

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    DIGGIN IN ITALY.......

FORGETABOUTIT

I tried, I kept hearing the line, Oh yes there was a German through here last week and he bought every good record!

I think I heard it about three times....

There were a few alright record stores. One in the University area....

Transmission Records
    Via dei Salentini, 27, (San Lorenzo) 00185, 06 44704370, www.transmission.it

also there was another cool store.....
    but it was raining and I got lost....

But, I would agree to not spend too much time digging there.

Tratoria Sostanza.

We had better dishes on our trip (pasta wasn't too memorably, honestly) but for steak, tripe, wild strawberries, and overall dining experience (side of cow with butcher on the kitchen staff; tremendous, fun service; the joy of watching Italians eat dinner...) it was my favorite place we went.

Cash only, btw.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    sounds like its a more difficult task than i had hoped! i was thinking it was a good way to get some "me time" and see parts of the town less traveled by tourists. i'll be spending most of this trip soaking up the touristy sites so, a side trip would be a welcome change of pace. either way, i'm looking forward to food, beautiful people, art and architecture and since i've never left north america, i think my mind is about to be blown in a serious way!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This thread makes me want to go to Rome right now. Cosine on what Kitchenknight said, Firenze aint got shit on Rome. Man I love that city.

I'm pretty sure one night when I was walking along the canal or whatever near Trastevere, where all the stalls are, I found a guy who had all kinds of overpriced records, but I got some decent italian disco stuff. Spend time drinking wine and wondering along the canals, maybe you'll find it.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    sounds like its a more difficult task than i had hoped! i was thinking it was a good way to get some "me time" and see parts of the town less traveled by tourists. i'll be spending most of this trip soaking up the touristy sites so, a side trip would be a welcome change of pace. either way, i'm looking forward to food, beautiful people, art and architecture and since i've never left north america, i think my mind is about to be blown in a serious way!

Otto....
    The touristy stuff in Rome is nothing to shake your head at... the Forum, Colosseo, Palatine Hill, there is some heavy history there.

That said, if you want to duck the tourists, head to the Garbatella or Monte Verde Neighborhoods (and beyond) to see how Romans do.

Yeah indeed, I am not at ALL a "turrist" kind of dude, but the sites in Rome just need to be experienced.

Beyond all that, the city itself is just beautiful. I can't wait to get back there.

Gareth - I'd be going to Firenze because my wife does a lot of business there. I've never been, but I doubt it could rival what I've seen elsewhere in the country. Still, I'm not gonna complain if I get to tag along next time!

Eh, if I came off too harsh on Firenze, my bad. Some UNBELIEVABLE things about that city.

"Rennaisance? Oh, you liked that? Your welcome."

The dome is f*cking nuts. The David is the single most impressive work of art I saw in Italy. Seriously, that thing is unfuckwittable times 1,000. The Medici library, designed by Michaelangelo, and the Medici Temple (where they are buried) were all great.

Firenze also had the best gelato we ate in our time in Italy. And, a jeweler that my wife loved (Angela Caputi, if you're looking for gifts... she has a shop along the Arno, and was working there when we stopped in.)

Firenze is great- just that I was ready to leave. Rome, on the other hand... That's a city I feel like you'd have to live in to get to fully appreciate.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Agreed.

Florence is in and out, two days max.

But it's beautiful. You go to Rome and get the historical, monumental Italy.
    In Florence you are much more aware of the artistic and spiritual side, and it feels deeply medieval.

It is also small and quite claustrophobic, and you must get out within 48 hours.

Or you will go insane.

Trastevere

This is one of my favorite parts of town. A little less touristy and some of Rome's best restaurants. A great place to just hang out and people watch on a nice day.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't think anyone was too harsh about Florence. It is mad scenic and historic, good food and all that, but it does kinda feel like the whole city is just for tourists. Rome's a real city, and cool one at that.

Trastevere was one of my favorites too. Me and my girl hit this little spot for insane carbonara, than walked the little streets, happened onto this little square with a crazy mobile art display and break dancers rocking out to "It's Just Begun." We grabbed some gelato and were still there, sitting on the fountain and drinking wine with cigarette smoking 13 year olds, hours after the dancers and art had gone. What an awesome city..

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I spent some hours on said fleamarket and bought one single record and this only for not having come completely in vain. (Some mediocre disco.)
    This was some years ago but I wouldn't bother going there again when in Rome. If you need some "Me-Time" get lost and drunk in Trastevere.

Trastevere was one of my favorites too. Me and my girl hit this little spot for insane carbonara, than walked the little streets, happened onto this little square with a crazy mobile art display and break dancers rocking out to "It's Just Begun." We grabbed some gelato and were still there, sitting on the fountain and drinking wine with cigarette smoking 13 year olds, hours after the dancers and art had gone. What an awesome city..

I happened upon an art show there one day while out walking the city. The art was done by mentally challenged young people. The artists were there with their families showing off their work. It was really fun and all the locals had come out to see. Some of the work was really moving. It was a great contrast to all the grand art and architecture of Rome to see such intimate and personal work on display.

I don't think anyone was too harsh about Florence. It is mad scenic and historic, good food and all that, but it does kinda feel like the whole city is just for tourists. Rome's a real city, and cool one at that.

I never did go to Florence. From what I head the above is true. I did visit Venice, Siena and Turin though and had a great time in each.

Went to Venice, and heaving throngs of tourists near St. Mark's aside, it was one of my favorite places I've ever been, if not the most unique.

Seriously, night in the canareggio, with no one around was the quietest and strangest feeling I can remember.

Venice is incredible.

Went to Venice, and heaving throngs of tourists near St. Mark's aside, it was one of my favorite places I've ever been, if not the most unique.

Seriously, night in the canareggio, with no one around was the quietest and strangest feeling I can remember.

Venice is incredible.

My roommate, who I was traveling with got a pint glass shattered on his face by a bartender and we had a late night police boat ride to the hospital and a long walk home across the city at 4am. I had a blast, my roommate not so much, but his fool ass shouldn't have tried to leave the bar with a glass.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Venice is incredible.

Agreed.
    Venice + Carnivale + Snow + Acqua Alta = Dreamlike.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Trastevere

This is one of my favorite parts of town. A little less touristy and some of Rome's best restaurants. A great place to just hang out and people watch on a nice day.

Still not cheaper to drink than central piazzas. Got stung for beers in 93 and it's still my record price paid for a bottle! APT ain't even there yet

Also cosign on being underwhelmed by Florence, sorry Firenze. I'm sure it's great if you're one of those who travels with a sketchpad. Had fun drunk driving at the campsite though.

The coast about an hour south is a great place for beaches, food, wine, food, wine, etc. Cheap. Been a couple of times and might go again this summer.