Kain- Blue Guerilla

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Picked this up on the weekend. Maybe a re issue cus at $15 it was too cheap to be OG.What a f*cking intensely insane and awesome piece of wax. Apart from the KMD/Black bastard connection, which makes it a dope find, the material, the music the poetry.... "that shit blew my head man..." I have a feeling this is gona be getting played to death (its already copped about 40 listens!)...Who has it, who loves it (as if you wouldnt), who can tell me more....."You shoulda cut the muthafucker....." Thats my new catch phrase.....

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Upload plaese!

I mean, plaese??

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    No probs. I am at work atm so I will do so tomorrow.I wont forget you, I promise... I got do a digi version for the crew anyways.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Who has it, who loves it (as if you wouldnt)

i have it and i dont love it

sounds like my man is trying too hard to shock

(and the repetition of "black bastard" got mighty old)

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Had it, and uncopped it. I was 20 or 21, and don't remember being crazy about it at the time. Not sure what I would think of it now. It was a reissue from the flea market.

Fair enough, if it aint your cup of tea, but I think you got to keep in mind the time and place and feeling at the time.

The track about Janis Joplin rant had me on the floor laughing, yet also I think he's the first cat i heard really flipping the whole 'blues gets taken to the UK repackaged and resold' idea on wax. I mean his ideas are well thought outin that track, even though hes harsh and hardcore in his delivery.

I find the rest of the LP pretty smooth as far as delivery, if anything its less aggressive than it should be. Plus I try to keep it in context of the times.

Plus I dig how he flipped a couple of 'love' poems with a revolutionary edge to them....

But really the music impressed me the most.... would love to know who was playing on it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Fair enough, if it aint your cup of tea, but I think you got to keep in mind the time and place and feeling at the time.

Actually, I do like this kind of black poetry on wax, and I am well aware of the time and context. I just don't think that Kain was the best in the field. Others did it better (including the Last Poets, whom Kain came from, I think). But, to each their own.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I went through a stage of collecting spoken word and always liked this album (though I do think the facemelt that occurred when I heard all the Black Bastards samples probably has an influence on this). Probably wouldn't sit through it end to end again like some of the other albums from round that time but definitely a couple of tracks on there I'd happily listen to over and over again.

As pickwick mentioned he's apparently a founding member of the Last Poets so, even though he'd split from them by 1970 always assumed a lot of the same musicians were involved.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    As pickwick mentioned he's apparently a founding member of the Last Poets so, even though he'd split from them by 1970 always assumed a lot of the same musicians were involved.

Gylan Kain was a member of the "original" Last Poets with David Nelson and Felipe Luciano. That lineup is only documented on the "Right On!" LP from 1969.

Since "Right On!" is just a sparse live recording with a percussionist, it must be another band playing on "The Blue Guerilla".

I remember watching clips from "Right On!" (the film that the LP accompanied), and thinking that Kain seemed like a pretty intense character.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Picked this up on the weekend. Maybe a re issue cus at $15 it was too cheap to be OG.

What a f*cking intensely insane and awesome piece of wax. Apart from the KMD/Black bastard connection, which makes it a dope find, the material, the music the poetry.... "that shit blew my head man..."

I have a feeling this is gona be getting played to death (its already copped about 40 listens!)...

Who has it, who loves it (as if you wouldnt), who can tell me more.....

"You shoulda cut the muthafucker....." Thats my new catch phrase.....

Diarrhea on her knee caps.

Upload plaese!

I mean, plaese??

Heres you go (and anyone else).

Now I aint too hip to the upload game, so I posted it up as 2 files (side 1 and side 2)....

Kain Blue Guerilla
    Side 1
    1. I Ain't Black
    2. Harlem Preacher
    3. Silly Shit
    4. Ain't It Fine
    5. Black Satin Amazon Fire Engine Cry Baby

Side 2
    6. Clouds
    7. Loose Here
    8. Nubian II
    9. Constipated Monkey
    10. Look Out For the Blue Guerilla

PS. Was looking at the credits...damn Niles Rodgers wrote some of the music (not sure if he played on it), and Greg Kirkland (?)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Thanks, Loko! How do I DL side 1 though?? It only lets me DL side 2.

I think you have to click on the file you want to dl, so that it plays on the divshare thingy, and then go to 'dl original' and it will dl that file thats playing.

i just dl both sides like that.

• I don't understand the hype on this record. The only thing I actually dig is the last half of "loose here" other than that it's more spoken word than I need.

• Oh yeah, the cover is super rad, and reminds me of a metal record design.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I don't understand the hype on this record. The only thing I actually dig is the last half of "loose here" other than that it's more spoken word than I need.

Well, taking a wild stab in the dark here, I'm guessing that people who like spoken word may not see your issue as so much of a problem?

• I don't understand the hype on this record. The only thing I actually dig is the last half of "loose here" other than that it's more spoken word than I need.

Well, taking a wild stab in the dark here, I'm guessing that people who like spoken word may not see your issue as so much of a problem?

Just stating my opinion. I didn't realize there was such a spoken word following here.