General Motors bankruptcy

SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
shit is wildeveryone knew this was coming, but it's just stunningmy grandfather worked at the Pontiac plant after taking mail order engineering classes back in the 30smy fathers first job as a teen was pushing a sandwich cart at the Pontiac plant during WWII the auto industry literally created America's middle class

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Not to be a prick about this (Cause I know it hurts alot of people). I guess it's because I watched "Who killed the electric car" last night. But Karma is a bitch...

• I heard this morning on the the local NPR station (I think it was Talk Of The Nation) where they were speculating that GM would actually OUTSOURCE all their manufacturing plants outside of the US. I know Canada (more specifically Ontario) has a hand in this deal and they are getting a lot of the new restructured GM's business.

Can't the UAW or for that matter the US Govt' put a stop to that since they practically own GM now? I thought the whole point of them not going out of business was to save jobs, and in effect the "middle class"?

I own a Chevy, but it was built by Mitsubishi in Canada. Go figure.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I don't think I understand. Is this work going to GM UAW in Ontario? If so, that's not outsourcing...

The Ontario & Canadian Government (Since this effects alot of people here working for GM as well) is working with GM just like the US is.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I have mixed feelings - some of these employees & retirees are completely out of touch - they are actually mad at the government for 'ruining GM' - their feelings of entitlement are insane, retire at 55, full pension, new car every year, etc etc

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    shit is wild

everyone knew this was coming, but it's just stunning

my grandfather worked at the Pontiac plant after taking mail order engineering classes back in the 30s

my fathers first job as a teen was pushing a sandwich cart at the Pontiac plant during WWII

the auto industry literally created America's middle class

Sad but necessary. And it sucks its hitting right now.

But obviously they are not competitive. Hopefully this rearrangement will get their ass back in the game for real.

Also I don't get the whole lost supplier jobs deal. I mean, short term I do, but even if GM and Chrysler altogether ate shit, people aren't going to stop buying cars. I think most of the "foreign" cars are made in the US anyway (i.e. Hondas in Ohio, BMW in SC), so wouldn't they just pick up the slack (and obviously the additional suppliers, etc.)?

I read Rivethead by Ben Hamper (http://www.amazon.com/Rivethead-Tales-As...&qid=1243878544) about working at a GM plant in the 80s. Kinda crazy, really. I thought it was amusing that even the workers referred to them as "Generous Motors". Good read if you like the topic.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    yeah, that book was pretty funny - working the line & listening to Black Flag