Rodriguez Live in Vancouver

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
with soulstrut's own sipreano opening. technically an announcement but when i saw this in the paper today my jaw dropped. has anyone seen rodriguez perform recently? is anybody coming up here for the show?

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I couldnt make it to his Sydney show a few years back, but my mate went and he wasnt even a fan, had never heard of Rodriguez (was tagging along with a girl). After the show, my mate popped round the next day raving about the gig, the music, the man...and hjarrassing me to make him a copy of every recording I got....

so I assume the show was kinda soul sturring and inspiring.

Dont make the same mistake I did...if you can attend the show, I would suggest you do. Not going to the sydney show is one of my biggest regrets.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    a friend of mine is in the band that is backing him for this tour:

http://www.myspace.com/thefreshonlys

he did some shows last year in the bay area with this lineup and from what I understood it was good, if a bit rough in spots (as you might expect from a group that didn't really practice together before hitting the stage). Rodriguez chose to keep this lineup for another round of shows, and I have faith that Tim and his band will do the music justice.

on the other hand, be prepared for the fact that Vancouver is the first show of the tour leg--it's essentially going to be a warmup for Seattle, Portland, SF, and LA. I'd expect the CA gigs to be a lot tighter for that reason, but don't let that stop you...

here's a random review of the show he put on last november at the GAMH:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/15935/Rodriguez-11.23.08-San-Francisco

if you go, let us know how the show turned out.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Big up to Sipreano!!

This show should be great!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I saw him in Chicago, and he tore it up. Be sure to watch for his spaced-out raps between songs...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    No Toronto, so sad....

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Saw him a couple of years at at the Byron bay blues festival and he was awesome. I find it hard to believe he didn't get great sales in the states.His Lps sold really well in Australia and they are pretty easy to find here.

At my market stall as soon as i start playing a rodriguez record someone walks past and buys it. Last time i put on cold fact sold 2 copies within 5 minutes.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Saw him a couple of years at at the Byron bay blues festival and he was awesome. I find it hard to believe he didn't get great sales in the states.His Lps sold really well in Australia and they are pretty easy to find here.

At my market stall as soon as i start playing a rodriguez record someone walks past and buys it. Last time i put on cold fact sold 2 copies within 5 minutes.

good to hear your still spreading the sounds.... Cold Fact should be compulsory listening to anyone who says they like music....

It was pretty big in the 'jail radios' in Australia too, especially Sugarman, and a huge bootleg circuit arose too, becuase b4 Blue Goose got their hands on the masters it was hard to get hold off Cold Fact and the Sugarman single (I dunno if this is a myth, apparently their is a 45 version...anyone seen it???)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Even better...with his long hair and shades, Rodriguez is a dead ringer for Question Mark.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

good to hear your still spreading the sounds.... Cold Fact should be compulsory listening to anyone who says they like music....

It was pretty big in the 'jail radios' in Australia too, especially Sugarman, and a huge bootleg circuit arose too, becuase b4 Blue Goose got their hands on the masters it was hard to get hold off Cold Fact and the Sugarman single (I dunno if this is a myth, apparently their is a 45 version...anyone seen it???)
    Yep, big album with the uncouth/hippy types here in NZ, Aussie & South Africa back in the day. There's definitely a locally pressed small hole Sugar Man 45 about on Sussex/A&M.

• bump..

anyone coming to the show tonight?

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    toronto, fear not... you'll get a show very soon...
    on the banks of lake ontario no less...
    all you'll need is money for curry...
    i'll say no more...

TONIGHT, VANCOUVER!!! 7" sets starting at 8 pm...
    ungovernable sounds w/ pink mountaintops support...
    *zulu records (w. 4th) rodriguez instore at 6 pm...

No Toronto, so sad....

this is my first time seeing RODRIGUEZ perform LIVE!!!
    very stoked!!!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    this is my first time seeing RODRIGUEZ perform LIVE!!!
    very stoked!!!

Tear it up K!
    Show'em what time it is!

• pretty cool show but the band was a bit off. the best part was when he did a solo acoustic number. saw lots of young ladies singing along to every song (which was really heartening in a way) but there were just as many meatheads and beckies who were dragged along to the show and just talked loudly through the entire set.

sipreano played a real solid set that included some ridiculously good song by the son of marshall mcluhan...

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    The Toronto show has been announced he's playing free at Harbourfront, check out there website for details.

LOVED rodriguez...
    LOVED the band...
    LOVED seeing some of my favorite loved ones...
    LOVED hearing some of my records LOUD...

go see RODRIGUEZ...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I just found out that he's playing at the El Rey in Los Angeles on Saturday night. I have never heard the LP but heard nothing but good things about it. This should be a great weekend since the following afternoon, I'm seeing Henry Franklin, Theo Saunders and Fuasi Abdul-Kaliq at a friend's house.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    GAH! it's on the same night as Joyce at Supermarket.

Either I check Rodriguez out for an hr then bike over to Supermarket or just stick w/ Joyce.

edit: just checked, Joyce starts at 9pm.