Sports Docs...

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
What are some good sports documentaries?Im excited about the new Tyson one and the Salute one about the OZ man who ended up being a part of the black power manifistation at the 68 Olympics.What are some other good sports docs? New and old, legendary and forgotten that SS approves of?Peace,Dress

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    "When We Were Kings," and "Murderball," are two of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

I'd almost also include, "Spellbound," and "King of Kong," about the National Spelling Bee and King Kong players, respectively, for docs on competition.

"Murderball," is a killer.

Damn, forgot, "Hoop Dreams". It could be argued that that movie started the Documentary rennaisance of the last 15 years...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "Murderball," is a killer.

YES. I'm also partial to Ken Burns's Baseball.

The chapter of Ken Burns' baseball when Jackie Robinson breaks the color barrier made me cry.
    Powerful stuff... Though, I don't know that I'd recommend all 18 hours, and the post-Robinson stuff is kind of lacking.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Tokyo 1964... Kon Ichikawa's doc about the olympics... a masterpiece.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's a great doc about Barca, called 'FC Barcelona Confidential'

It's a fly on the wall look at the running of the club, rather than looking at the team/game. Very interesting, even if you're not into soccerball.

FC Barcelona is the biggest football club in the world. Its 102,000 shareholder members all have seats at the Nou Camp, Europe's biggest stadium and the right, every four years, to elect the Club President the dream job for thousands of ambitious, patriotic Catalans. In 2003, thanks to poor domestic performances and a spiraling debt, the club sank into the worst crisis in its 100 year history. With the promise of root and branch reform, a new regime was ushered in under the leadership of the charismatic Joan Laporta. With unprecedented and exclusive access, directors Webster and Hernandez spent a year at the Nou Camp documenting the new boards efforts to turn an old fashioned Catalan family affair into a global football business

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Most recent ones I've seen that have stood out have been on Jim Brown and Eddie Robinson.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts