The new Terminator movie

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone riding for this? With the semester done I want to zone out with a matinee.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im going to pass. I can tell the plot by the previews.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Somehow, I don't think "plot" is so integral to the film's charms (assuming it has any). I'm also thinking about "Drag Me to Hell" but horror movies as matinees are just weird.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    do a search for "Turdminator."

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I heard it was pretty ass. The action parts are reportedly impressive, but the plot and characters are draggy and lame.

I know plot < action in an action movie, but when it comes to a franchise that I sorta care about dealing with a storyline I've followed (except for part 3, which I heard was also turdtastic) I kinda need some good plotting and characters along with robots and shit blowing up.

Unless someone I trust comes out and rides hard, this is going in the "I'll get it on Netflix if I see it all" file.

That said, it's probably decent matinee zone-out material.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I have a new theater 5 mins from my house. So I go to almost anything. I often go for the same reason you mentioned. Just to zone out. That's why it's good to see turds like this by yourself. For some reason, when you are by yourself and the movie is not so good, it is less bothersome. It is also easier to step into another theater for something else. This was not that bad, but I really think they missed a lot of obvious opportunities to improve the plot and and characters.

Dystopian, post apocalyptic robot shit is my all time favorite genre. So I gave this turd a lot of leeway.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Go see it. It wasn't great, definitely some weak acting at points, but also definitely relevant--especially for someone who is thinking in terms of sociology (the difference between this and the OG for the youth of the United States). The plot is not bad, and there is a very interesting character twist that you wouldn't get just from seeing the previews.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    and there is a very interesting character twist that you wouldn't get just from seeing the previews.

lol.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    "I'll get it on Netflix if I see it all" file.

Being immersed in the sounds is so clutch though. The soundscape of this film is dope, especially the overwhelmingly machinic parts.

Being immersed in the sounds is so clutch though. The soundscape of this film is dope, especially the overwhelmingly machinic parts.

Yes, but is it $9-plus-popcorn-and-soda dope?

I got decent surround sound at the crib, so I can make it nasty if I have to.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I mean did anyone really expect MCG to make a film on James Cameron's level? At it's best moments it felt like a terminator parody on a burger king commercial.

This movie had 1 scene that was worthwhile to Youtube, but for the most part it was about as watchable as an episode of DARK ANGEL.

- spidey

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

if you're concerned about admission and refreshment expenses, your system can't be that nice.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

If you geek out on sound, then yeah I'd say so. unless you got the "other room" home theatre experience the at home thing isn't the same (especially if you're hollering at the kryptonite beforehand )

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i think i rather go see star trek (again)

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Could have used more Moon Bloodgood

if you're concerned about admission and refreshment expenses, your system can't be that nice.

I'm concerned about that shit if the movie's wack. I'm happy to spend whatever on a film that's worth it. If you have the money and time to spend it on mediocrity, then more power to you.

If the main argument for seeing it in the theater is the sound experience, I'll be fine seeing it at home and cranking up the system.

I think they should dead the franchise.

Ive always wondered what Pre-Terminator Earth looked like, so i was kinda curious about this "prequel".

But Im not f*ckin w/ that Robots Have Feelings Too Bullshit. Its been done too many times. Let some 12 year olds get open on that shit.

b/w..

How many time are writers gonna use the Pyramids for Sci-Fi?
    The new Transformers flick has some Pyramid bullshit. WTF. AGAIN?
    Oh - so the Transformers possible contributed to the construction/inspiration/etc.

• fountain16fountain16 93 Posts
    I thought the movie blew. I went to see it on wednesday with a girl I just started dating at a drive-in theatre. Granted i didn't pay attention to the whole movie as is the benefit of going to a drive-in,but agreed with the numerous reviews i had read/heard prior to seeing it. The 2nd feature was the new Biance vehicle Obsessed..which wasn't much better. Oh well..the Hangover is playing there starting next Friday, we are going to check that out.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Pay for Star Trek, sneak into Terminator afterwards. They are well timed for this, depending on the theater. Star Trek is much better IMO. Terminator is not worth the dough.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Ive always wondered what Pre-Terminator Earth looked like,

really? cause I see this every day I go out the house

b/w..

How many time are writers gonna use the Pyramids for Sci-Fi?
    The new Transformers flick has some Pyramid bullshit. WTF. AGAIN?
    Oh - so the Transformers possible contributed to the construction/inspiration/etc.

it's hard to tell what they're going for with the pyramids from the previews, but the OG storyline had the transformers crashing on earth during the prehistoric age, and getting re-awakened in the present. I think I saw a bit with them finding an old ass buried transformer in one of the previews.

Possible Responses:

Yes/No
    Or What?
    Go Away
    Please Come Back Later
    F*ck You Asshole
    F*ck You

Possible Responses:

Yes/No
    Or What?
    Go Away
    Please Come Back Later
    F*ck You Asshole
    F*ck You

lulz

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    despite myself i liked it. obviously you can poke holes through the logic of the whole thing but it has a certain appeal. i don't know, i too like apocolyptic movies so i can over look any flaws in the script...which went something like this:

"go go go!"

"watch out!"

"over there!"

etc. not much on dialogue but it wasn't as bad as Terminator 3. i enjoyed it in some mindless level, the same level that enjoyed star trek. it's about what i expected from a director who's name is MCG.

i agree too the sound was pretty dope! the sound in the theater was so loud i was getting a jaw ache.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

But Im not f*ckin w/ that Robots Have Feelings Too Bullshit.

*semi-spoiler*

The more compelling element of the story was the fact that the dude that helps The Resistance destroy the Skynet base, was the dude whose body was used to create Skynet. I thought that was a pretty dope part of the plot. He's executed in 2003, and then 'wakes up' in 2018, but doesn't realize that he's an android when he wakes up. It's not about him being a robot and having feelings, it's more him being a human who did not want to live anymore because he regrets murdering people, and then being thrust back into life by some weird science. In fact there isn't really any part where "robots have feelings."

The more compelling element of the story was the fact that the dude that helps The Resistance destroy the Skynet base, was the dude whose body was used to create Skynet. I thought that was a pretty dope part of the plot. He's executed in 2003, and then 'wakes up' in 2018, but doesn't realize that he's an android when he wakes up. It's not about him being a robot and having feelings, it's more him being a human who did not want to live anymore because he regrets murdering people, and then being thrust back into life by some weird science. In fact there isn't really any part where "robots have feelings."

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    *delete*

I