Up.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
*This is just a placeholder for my review of Disney/Pixar's Up which I will be watching tomorrow night. I'm super geeked.*b/wHi Day!P.S. Daze: Tell Lil' Cash Money to hurry and grow up so Uncle Herm can take him to Disneyland.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Yes we will all roll to the land of Disney and I can't wait for my little dude to be big enough.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I can't believe they're marketing this movie to children but I guess nothing should shock me anymore.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    whoa.
    pre-emptive strike monopolization of messageboard post topics is on some WHOLE_NOTHER internetness!
    I like it.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm just hear to ask someone to create a voice balloon for this:

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    looking forward to herm's review... and to seeing this flick....

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Herm's review will pretty much be him gushing about the visuals while using words like "bestest" and "super duper" and then tying it in to some story about Disneyland and/or some girl he used to have over for "visits"

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Herm's review will pretty much be him gushing about the visuals while using words like "bestest" and "super duper" and then tying it in to some story about Disneyland and/or some girl he used to have over for "visits"

^^What he said^^

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

^^What he said^^

the review preview.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Where is Herm's review. I know I didn't see it before he did.

Went Saturday during our 22nd honeymoon.
    It was the bestest with great visuals.
    I have never been to disneyland, ~world or Euro~.

Much better than WallE, which I thought was less than great.
    Could it be Pixar's best? I don't know, where is the list?

Here's the deal, the movie is sad.
    It is about getting old, something I can relate to.

There are strong parallels to It's A Wonderful Life.

Pixar does it right.

This has to be the worstest written review ever.

Dan

• I thought it was fantastic.

Up
    Walle
    Ratatatullie
    Cars
    Incredibles
    Nemo
    Monster Inc
    Toy Story2
    Bugs Life
    Toy Story

I have not seen Cars, Nemo or Bugs Life.
    The bottom of my list are Incredibles and WallE. Ideas were great, and of course visuals, but the characters in the Incredibles were weak and while WallE and Eva were good characters the rest of the WallE characters were weak.

Ratatatoullie and Up I think are the best, but those Toy Story movies are right up there.

I thought the short Partly Cloudy was weak also.

Saw it Friday night in 3D. (3D is a MUST, by the way. No snazzy tricks. Subtle yet amazing. Pay the extra $2 and do it right.) Theater was PACKED. So much so that I got there 20 minutes early and had to sit smack dab in the front row center. Neck craning and all.

The movie is fantastic. And yes, sad. The first 3/4's at least. It holds the record for making me teary-eyed in the shortest amount of time.

I won't go into too many details 'cause I don't want to spoil it, but a few props (which may contain the slightest of spoilers):

- I loved the way Russell talked. The way they captured his mouth was so spot-on. I know it sounds strange, but seriously, watch his mouth in his first scene and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

You can see it here when he talks about the ceremony.

Kind of an unimportant, but I noticed it early on and made me appreciate the attention to detail.

- The fact that Russell is Asian. I just think that's neat.

- The talking dogs (especially Dug) were hilarious. And I'm glad Delroy Lindo was called on to lend his voice.

- The montage of Carl's & Elie's life together.

- The dramatic action. Very far-fetched (duh! the whole premise is!) but it was done well enough to keep me antsy.

- Little real-world tie-in with Carl watching this. (No spoiler, you can only hear the audio in the movie.)

- Also, I'm no Bay Area expert but I read this from a blog: Apparently there are a few Oakland references/shout outs tossed in. (I guess that's where Pixar's based?) Merritt Bakery's hamburger cake is on one of Russell's scout badges, the floating house is partially based on a Victorian house near Sixth St. in Berkeley and Russell & Carl eat at Fenton's Creamery.

I really liked Partly Cloudy, Dan. I thought the idea was original and I was happy that the beat-up stork stayed committed to his job regardless of...well, you know.

I have to say though, my favorite part of the whole movie happened before it even started. As I said, I was in a sold-out show full of families, pre-teens without their parents, couples and knuckleheads. I was anticipating some annoying talking, texting, etc (which, thankfully, was kept to a minimum). Anyways, when the teaser trailer for Toy Story 3 came out, the WHOLE CROWD was applauding. That was INCREDIBLE. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of a reaction for any movie, much less a trailer. Some kid next to me - must've been about 15 - said "That's my childhood!" That movie's gonna be HUGE. (You know where I'll be June 10th, 2010!)

Disney & Pixar = Peanut butter & jelly. Every time.

P.S. Take THAT, Daze!

P.S.2. I read that Pixar considers John Ratzenberger (aka Cliff from Cheers) their good luck charm and that's why he voices a character in every single movie they do. The self-referential bit he does during the credits on Cars is awesome.

• all these posts have got me even more amped to see this then i already was.... upon which i find out the genius heads of distribution are opening this in Holland in October.

What are these people thinking?

Saw it Friday night in 3D. (3D is a MUST, by the way. No snazzy tricks. Subtle yet amazing. Pay the extra $2 and do it right.) Theater was PACKED. So much so that I got there 20 minutes early and had to sit smack dab in the front row center. Neck craning and all.

The movie is fantastic. And yes, sad. The first 3/4's at least. It holds the record for making me teary-eyed in the shortest amount of time.

I won't go into too many details 'cause I don't want to spoil it, but a few props (which may contain the slightest of spoilers):

- I loved the way Russell talked. The way they captured his mouth was so spot-on. I know it sounds strange, but seriously, watch his mouth in his first scene and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

You can see it here when he talks about the ceremony.

Kind of an unimportant, but I noticed it early on and made me appreciate the attention to detail.

- The fact that Russell is Asian. I just think that's neat.

- The talking dogs (especially Dug) were hilarious. And I'm glad Delroy Lindo was called on to lend his voice.

- The montage of Carl's & Elie's life together.

- The dramatic action. Very far-fetched (duh! the whole premise is!) but it was done well enough to keep me antsy.

What he said. I didn't notice that Russel was Asian. His badges were a nice detail, and the ones in the closing credits were cool.

We almost went to Coraline instead, it's local, it was in 3D, and it was at the Living Room theaters which have wine and truffles instead of popcorn and soda. When I got there and found out that tickets were $12 I freaked and we left. I wanted to see Up a lot more than Coraline anyway. .

BTW, I also freaked when Up was $9.50.
    I am poor.

So we went to the mall and there were only about 10 people in theater. Probably because the Starlight parade was about to start. We only missed about half an hour of the parade.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just saw this in 3-d as part of another team-building work outing.

Here's my review:

Just saw this in 3-d as part of another team-building work outing.

Here's my review:

If I had seen it as a team-building work outing I wouldn't have liked it either.

But you shouldn't scoff.
    There really was a 1920s explorer who got lost in South America with his dogs and invented a dog voice translator collar with video.
    Of course all the stuff the dogs were saying in the movie was fake.
    They wont reveal what dogs are really saying because dogs are in touch with the other world.

I am not making this up.

The ancient Egyptians also had technology that allowed them to talk dogs.

Fawcett?

Fawcett?

Fawcett?

What?

Reminds me of when I was at Oklahoma State Tech.
    There were some guys there from Egypt in the Plumbing Arts Dept.
    They had jobs waiting for them bring plumbing out to the old tombs.
    It was the '70s.
    We called them Pharaoh Fawcett Majors.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    [color:white]
    Girl and I were debating did Ellie have a miscarriage? I took it that way. If that is right, that is kind of heavy for a kids film.

Nothing beats getting into the right frame of mind and going to see a pixar movie. 3D is Bonus! [/color]

Girl and I were debating did Ellie have a miscarriage? I took it that way. If that is right, that is kind of heavy for a kids film.

Nothing beats getting into the right frame of mind and going to see a pixar movie. 3D is Bonus!

Whoa!! **SPOILER ALERT!!!**

White textin' it:

Either that or she couldn't have children. You're right, though. Deep.

What did you think about Russell's dad situation? That was deep too! Either deadbeat or just wouldn't make time for him? [/color]

• Girl and I were debating did Ellie have a miscarriage? I took it that way. If that is right, that is kind of heavy for a kids film.

Nothing beats getting into the right frame of mind and going to see a pixar movie. 3D is Bonus!

Whoa!! **SPOILER ALERT!!!**

White textin' it:

Either that or she couldn't have children. You're right, though. Deep.

What did you think about Russell's dad situation? That was deep too! Either deadbeat or just wouldn't make time for him? [/color]

[color:white]We just told Miles (who's 5) that she couldn't have babies. I got the feeling that Russell's Dad situation was that he was remarried and paying no attention to his "first" family.[/color]

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    OOPS

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've seen every Pixar film and "Up" ranks somewhere in the middle. All respect due to Dan but I thought "Wall*E" was considerably better if only because the first half of Wall*E is f*cking brilliant (the second half...not so much). "Up" never really worked for me story-wise even though it had some really lovely moments, especially the "marriage montage" and the talking dogs were comic genius.

But "Up" also revealed, more so than other Pixar films, some of the conventions they're forced to engage in, especially the "action-packed" second-half (a problem I also had with "Wall*E"). I didn't have a problem with that in "The Incredibles" (which I loved - top 3 Pixar film) since it's supposed to be an action flick but it felt out of balance in "Up." I also thought making Russell's dad absentee was transparently forced.

I did enjoy the Bay Area shout-outs, especially Fenton's (note: I *wish* Piedmont Ave looked like what the Pixar rendition of it does, but alas, no).

No "Toy Story 3" teaser trailer for my screening

And the Pixar short before "Up" sucked balls. One of the worse I've ever seen.

Weak Pixar Films:
    Cars (I stopped watching halfway through out of sheer boredom and never regretted not finishing it)
    Bugs Life (Seven Samurai with bugs. Meh.)

Good Pixar Films:
    Up
    Toy Story
    Monsters Inc

Great Pixar Films:
    Ratatouille
    Toy Story 2
    Wall*E (the first half carries the entire weight here)
    The Incredibles
    Finding Nemo

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I thought Up was great from beginning to end. In fact, after that beginning, I didn't know where the movie could go it hit such an emotional moment, but I felt that they carried it off.

I agree with O that Cars was the weakest movie Pixar has made. That being said, watching it on TV awhile ago, I liked it better than when I saw it in the movie theater.

Plus Ratatouille is by far the best one they've made.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think if I had seen "Up" prior to Wall*E, I would have liked it better than I did. They're not similar films so it's not fair to compare them but I just thought Wall*E created such a fascinating world (and two characters) that anything more conventional - which "Up" is, despite its great aspects - was bound to be a slight let down.

Among the top Pixar films, I find it very hard to argue which is better than which. They're all great in their own way.

I've seen every Pixar film and "Up" ranks somewhere in the middle. All respect due to Dan but I thought "Wall*E" was considerably better if only because the first half of Wall*E is f*cking brilliant (the second half...not so much). "Up" never really worked for me story-wise even though it had some really lovely moments, especially the "marriage montage" and the talking dogs were comic genius.

But "Up" also revealed, more so than other Pixar films, some of the conventions they're forced to engage in, especially the "action-packed" second-half (a problem I also had with "Wall*E"). I didn't have a problem with that in "The Incredibles" (which I loved - top 3 Pixar film) since it's supposed to be an action flick but it felt out of balance in "Up." I also thought making Russell's dad absentee was transparently forced.

I did enjoy the Bay Area shout-outs, especially Fenton's (note: I *wish* Piedmont Ave looked like what the Pixar rendition of it does, but alas, no).

No "Toy Story 3" teaser trailer for my screening

And the Pixar short before "Up" sucked balls. One of the worse I've ever seen.

Weak Pixar Films:
    Cars (I stopped watching halfway through out of sheer boredom and never regretted not finishing it)
    Bugs Life (Seven Samurai with bugs. Meh.)

Good Pixar Films:
    Up
    Toy Story
    Monsters Inc

Great Pixar Films:
    Ratatouille
    Toy Story 2
    Wall*E (the first half carries the entire weight here)
    The Incredibles
    Finding Nemo

I agree with your analysis of Up and WallE I just liked Up better than WallE. For all the reasons you said.

In Toy Story the animation of the humans did not work. Pixar is much better at that now.

Seems like Ratatouille is everyones favorite.