Seattle Or Portland?

TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I'm planning a trip in July but I'm not sure yet where my desitination will be. I've narrowed it down to two. As far as records are concerned, does anyone have insight as to which would be a better city to visit?I've spent some time in Portland and really liked the place. There are some great sites and some decent record stores but If it means new scenery, plus more/better record shops I would consider Seattle.Any locals with opinions?

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    It depends on how much time and driving around you want to do. If you want good records and don't mind paying for them, Jive Time in Seattle has a much better selection than anywhere in Portland. Otherwise, if the thrill of the hunt is what you're after, we have Crossroads in Portland, which will keep you occupied for hours.

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
    Now days I'm more likely to spend a few extra dollars for good records than putting in hours of time digging around in crates and thrift stores, so Jive Time sounds good.
    I will most likely be renting a car and which ever place we end up, it will be for 4 days which is plenty of time for driving.
    I remember looking at a brochure specifically for record shops in downtown Portland during my last visit. Is there anything like that?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, though. You can find some decent records in Portland. Shops like Mississippi Records, Exiled, Jump Jump, 360 Vinyl, etc. all get new stock in regularly. We do still have the independent record stores brochure, I think, but that's not necessarily the best way to about it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If you haven't been to Seattle yet, you should go. Beautiful city with lots to do. I can't comment on the record hunting there though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, though. You can find some decent records in Portland. Shops like Mississippi Records, Exiled, Jump Jump, 360 Vinyl, etc. all get new stock in regularly. We do still have the independent record stores brochure, I think, but that's not necessarily the best way to about it.

There's a brand new independent record store brochure.
    Looks like sht.
    But all the stores mentioned above are there.

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
    DrWu, how's the public transportation in Seattle?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    within the city, Seattle's buses are great. They're on time. I know: on time? It's crazy.

July 18th is the opening day of our long-awaited light rail.
    http://www.soundtransit.org/x10828.xml
    To and from the airport on a train--who'da thunk it? Finally.

but ummmmm yeah...there are spots in both. I'm headed to ptown on saturday myself, looking forward to poking around down there...

• Throw a rock man.

This town is made of vinyl.