More Amused Than Angry (French Bidder Related)

2»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This dude is a trip....even after I asked him to not bid on any of my items in the future he sends me this...

Dear blackholerecords,

what is your price ?

- sturp1202.3

My response....

My price was $9.99....YOUR price was $809.00...either pay me YOUR price or leave me the hell alone.[/b]

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    I wonder if the two bidders were actually the same person. Totally idiotic move on their part but it would explain how he "knew" the auction would have a problem.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    But if dude is trying to grip the record wouldn't that be like shooting yourself in the foot?

I guess I don't follow you here....he pays, I send....how is that shooting myself in the foot.

Truth is I have no idea what the record is "really" worth and have $0.50 into it....don't see how I can really lose?

I was meant to be replying to Reys' popsike inflation theory. I was too slow.

If he want's the record, and for cheap it would seem, it makes no sense for him to be trying to inflate the price.
    I was thinking more from the perspective of someone who had copies that they were trying to unload and the general market value of the item hadn't been widely established yet. If a prospective buyer thinks the going rate is actually $800, they might consider $250 a steal. Dudes who are holding copies want to keep the price up!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    You should tell him you'll sell it for $100 and see if he supplies an address..
    and then offer the record for free to any other French heads who are willing to go round and slap some sense into the dude!

Plus if he's dumb enough to send thru $100, I'd keep it it then send him an email saying F*ck You...you still owe me another $700!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

I really want to understand what the hell goes through these French dudes mind about this stuff....can someone please explain?

I was just thinking that it's a good way to inflate the popsike price/perceived value of the item.

Genius....this makes perfect sense.

This has happened to us several times, and the consensus explanation here is exactly this scenario.

Now it's on popsike (posted by Frenchie, no doubt) for $800, and he can generously
    offer it to some sucker for $500.

Why this lowlife scam appeals particularly to this crowd I don't know, but it does.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    and then offer the record for free to any other French heads who are willing to go round and slap some sense into the dude!

Plus if he's dumb enough to send thru $100, I'd keep it it then send him an email saying F*ck You...you still owe me another $700!

See, I would take the polite approach.

"Thank you for your down payment of $100. We will mark this item as Paid upon receipt of the $700 balance. Otherwise, we will have to mark this item as Unpaid.

Have A Nice Day!

The Academy Team"

• Options

See, I would take the polite approach.

"Thank you for your down payment of $100. We will mark this item as Paid upon receipt of the $700 balance. Otherwise, we will have to mark this item as Unpaid.

Have A Nice Day!

The Academy Team"

^^^
    I love this...we need a "checkmate" graemlin.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    None of this can possibly be true.

The one Duderonomy sent these people back to La Republique with tails firmly between legs.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

• But if dude is trying to grip the record wouldn't that be like shooting yourself in the foot?

I guess I don't follow you here....he pays, I send....how is that shooting myself in the foot.

Truth is I have no idea what the record is "really" worth and have $0.50 into it....don't see how I can really lose?

I was meant to be replying to Reys' popsike inflation theory. I was too slow.

If he want's the record, and for cheap it would seem, it makes no sense for him to be trying to inflate the price.
    I was thinking more from the perspective of someone who had copies that they were trying to unload and the general market value of the item hadn't been widely established yet. If a prospective buyer thinks the going rate is actually $800, they might consider $250 a steal. Dudes who are holding copies want to keep the price up!

I am agree with what Horseleech and Reynaldo said above.
    I think that kind of method comes from a guy who has one or more copies of that particulary record, and who wants to keep the price going or to create a market value for it.
    It is sad but is that typically French ???

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    YES

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm gonna try this scam out with Leo Sayer records and see if I can't move a few copies.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    There's no 'typically French', only two extremes.

At one end is the 'Marseille mafia' or whatever generalised tag you want to add that makes your asshurt less painful. These guys scam you on the buy side.

At the other end are many stand-up 100% A-grade 24 carat gentlehommes, many of which post on this board, on the sell side.

One of the more ludicrous posts of recent months here was in Noreille's sale thread, where someone pm'd him saying he couldn't buy from France but wished the sale well.

Talmbout throwing baby out with the bath water. That kind of sentiment and the logic behind it is just plain stupid.

For the record, B***o, J****n, J***b et al give super quick service, grade perfectly and pack boxes as well as anyone in the business.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm gonna try this scam out with Leo Sayer records and see if I can't move a few copies.

On the old V.V. board there was a cunning plan hatched to try and buy up every copy of some vaguely funky common turd, in an attempt to increase its rarity/price. Surprisingly it never worked.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

On the old V.V. board there was a cunning plan hatched to try and buy up every copy of some vaguely funky common turd, in an attempt to increase its rarity/price. Surprisingly it never worked.

Is this why I never find any copies of "Breezin" in the field anymore?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I'm breaking every copy of any Barbra Streisand record I see in the hopes of manufacturing rarity.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

eBay's lack of buyer accountability is starting to chap my ass.

co-sign on this one big time...it's been like that for far too long...

• robert_murtrobert_murt 338 Posts

At one end is the 'Marseille mafia' or whatever generalised tag you want to add that makes your asshurt less painful. These guys scam you on the buy side.

At the other end are many stand-up 100% A-grade 24 carat gentlehommes, many of which post on this board, on the sell side.

One of the more ludicrous posts of recent months here was in Noreille's sale thread, where someone pm'd him saying he couldn't buy from France but wished the sale well.

Talmbout throwing baby out with the bath water. That kind of sentiment and the logic behind it is just plain stupid.

For the record, B***o, J****n, J***b et al give super quick service, grade perfectly and pack boxes as well as anyone in the business.

Courageous, well argumented try, but you waste your time. I think some of the people here just don't want to understand.
    The freedom fries syndrome probably..

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Courageous, well argumented try, but you waste your time. I think some of the people here just don't want to understand.

So would these people not deal with any Canadians from the Quebec region?

I have had no dramas with buying of French sellers- but I got a french last name, and an Australian address, so maybe they show me some love.... If I was from NZ...maybe not so much!

So ppl really avoid French sellers?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

As a seller can you understand why I will cringe in the future when I have an item that appears to be attracting french bidders??

These folks are the ones making the bad reputation, not the freedom fry idiots.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

So would these people not deal with any Canadians from the Quebec region?

I have had no dramas with buying of French sellers- but I got a french last name, and an Australian address, so maybe they show me some love.... If I was from NZ...maybe not so much!

So ppl really avoid French sellers?
    I've had absolutely no issues buying from the French, only selling to them. Nouveau Zealandia!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I would like to add that 3 of my worst ever experiences as a buyer were with French Canadians. Ridiculous.