who is drake?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Seriously; I had never heard of him until the troll thread. Between him and Charles Hamilton, I'm feeling pretty good about being disconnected.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Just know, his condo is the crack spot.

"I do not think that means what you think it means."

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah same. and i feel as if the first time i'm hearing of someone is from the one hemold that it's safe to pass, right?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Heard his record on the radio in the A a few times this weekend

It's trash... as one might expect based on the dudes stanning for him

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    U da fuckiiinngg best

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    We da bast > U da best

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Ross, forget the radio, avoid the hype, and give "So Far Gone" an isolated listen. Of all the garbage out there right now Drake is one of the last people I'd write off coming up. I just hope he avoids being ran thru so quickly by the industry like many other people out there trying to do it. If he can keep his head about him, dude'll stay making good music.

This is the best mixtape I've heard in 2009 and I say that with all certainty:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Ross, forget the radio, avoid the hype, and give "So Far Gone" an isolated listen. Of all the garbage out there right now Drake is one of the last people I'd write off coming up. I just hope he avoids being ran thru so quickly by the industry like many other people out there trying to do it. If he can keep his head about him, dude'll stay making good music.

This is the best mixtape I've heard in 2009 and I say that with all certainty:

hemold, what have you done with drewnice's account?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    hemold, what have you done with drewnice's account?

I had nothing to do with it, unlike many opinions around here dude probably just doesn't have his head up Soulstrut's peehole.

b/w

I've been telling you to check that mixtape since it dropped. And definitely listen all the way through because it's not on some isolated bangers shit, the dude has depth.

Word is Bun B just took the stage w/ Drake @ SOB's.

How wrong is ya' boy?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

"Hate the Drake."

• RerogRerog 569 Posts

How wrong is ya' boy?

Questlove was just twitterin about how he wishes he was at that show...I need to hear this music i guess.

Stop playing and give it a listen.

Uninformed hateration is dead.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

This is why I like you, sir.

DREW N-I-C-E FOR MODERHATTEUR!

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    DL'ing now.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Stop playing and give it a listen.

OK, I just listened to it, and I think it's terrible. At least I'm informed now. He vacillates being trying to be Kanye (and doing a pretty good job of sounding like him) to wanting to be The-Dream Lite (and failing miserably).

And as far as Bun taking the stage with him, let us not forget Bernard's highly suspect taste in cameos (Talib, Dizzee Rascal, Travis Barker...).

Incidentally, if you want a better mixtape by a rapper who reminds me of Kanye:
    http://www.crossfadedbacon.com/2009/04/23/playboy-tre-liquore-store-mascot/

That Playboy Tre one is good too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

How wrong is ya' boy?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

How wrong is ya' boy?

with this reasoning, Asher Roth would be the next coming.

Bun B took the stage with him in Toronto too but it didn't help Drake perform any better. He's just not that good or interesting to me - and trust me, I would love to be blown away by someone new. I'm not going out of my way to hate.

Maybe when he has his own style...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

cohen + = gremlin worthy

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    oh yeah, drake sux.

Fair enough.

From what I hear on there, I think Drake's making good new music and has a triple threat of sing/rhyme/writing skills with the potential to help move pop/rap/r&b in a different direction. There are many styles on that tape and he goes between them with relative ease, like he could do an album of any of them. (it seems that you suggest his versatility is a weakness)

I got a chance to listen to this pre-radio hype, right before he blew up and am judging him from the perspective of fresh, untainted by bullsh*t talent. Dude is not afraid to be purely himself and do his own thing. I think people are responding to that. It's also refreshing to hear somebody who's at least semi-introspective about their life and that which likely awaits them after success in the industry. That said, if I never heard anything else from Drake, I'd be satisfied with just having heard "So Far Gone". There's no telling what could be next.

Glad that you checked it out.

What I love about R&B in 2009:

Fair enough.

From what I hear on there, I think Drake's making good new music and has a triple threat of sing/rhyme/writing skills with the potential to help move pop/rap/r&b in a different direction. There are many styles on that tape and he goes between them with relative ease, like he could do an album of any of them.

I'll see your "fair enough" and match it with one of my own. I just don't think that he has enough of his own style (shouts to Bassie) to pull off any aspect of the tripe threat, at least not yet, but I'll give him credit for trying.

File under "swagger not yet credible."

Don't get ahead of yourself, though. To me, Drake reps the first wave of young folks making music influenced by the Kanyes and Jays of the world. It sure as hell took them long enough to grow into or create their own respectively unique styles from their influences. It just sounds like you're putting too much on Drake right off the bat. And we're not even talking albums; the kid's what, 3 official mixtapes deep? Give it due time.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    To me, Drake reps the first wave of young folks making music influenced by the Kanyes and Jays of the world.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    the tripe threat
    ??menudo know?

This Drake stuff is kinda tap-water. I think what drewnice is hearing as moving "between [styles] with relative ease," I'm hearing more as superficial engagement with all the various signifiers of the Eclectic R&B Dude?? archetype that has become so commercially potent. It's like dude's got a copy of West's Elements of Epaulet Soul and is running it straight down: "Step 5--It's okay to over-emote, but make sure you're doing it against a chilly, faintly European-sounding track. This will make you seem complex."

I'd agree with you, drew, that stuff like this might have some sociological interest as the work of the first wave post-Kanye kids, but I cannot agree at all with the idea that this guy is somehow "fresh" and "purely himself" and "untainted." It's competent r&b. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing really special with that, either.

The "fahr" / "thahr" rhyme at the beginning of that "Night Off" jernt might be the most preposterous thing I've heard this week.

(p.s.: drew, I'm embrassed to admit that it's only recently that I've realized that your username is two words--"drew nice." For the longest time I was thinking it rhymed with "Eunice." Oof.)

Drew, have you heard Fresh Daily? His latest mixtape came out yesterday. I'm digging it, though he tends to go out there at times.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

cohen +
    = gremlin worthy

That's a graemlin waiting to happen.

the tripe threat
    ??
    menudo know?

Oof

I will refrain from making an "guts" joke and just take the L (that I left out of "triple") on this one.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    SOBs show was covered on front of Arts section of NY Times show today. Dude's not bad - and yes - the quote about the Kanye influence it on point. All those dudes from the XXL cover can fall into that realm....Theophilus included.