Official Start Of Garage Sale Season

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
no early birds please!!!which one to go to?what are yer methods?newspaper? straight driving down roads?gonna be a nice weekend i think

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    no early birds please!!!

which one to go to?

what are yer methods?

newspaper? straight driving down roads?

gonna be a nice weekend i think

I went to one last month (posted about it here too), over 500 records or so, but came home with about 20 albums.

I have the Giant Nickel, the corner store/supermarket freebie paper and I'll generally look for anything that says records and pick and choose. "A lot of records" may actually mean "lots of Reader's Digest box sets" and knowing the region here, there's not much goods. No chance of finding any Fania test pressings. Estate sales I'll sometimes check out, since it means things have been collecting dust in the warehouse. If I had more money to play with, and of course a nicer home, it would have been great to buy a jukebox I had seen last year.

I'll also take chances every now and then by driving down roads. If I have a rough idea of where I want to go (i.e. circling the ad in question), there are usually many other yard sales nearby.

There's also a "new" part of town which is bringing in a population from other regions of the state and other states, and if it's in a nice neighborhood (read "$$$"), there may be a chance of them wanting to clear out their records.

Church sales can have some good finds, especially when someone becomes born again and wishes to get rid of the filth that involves the "heavy" prog from early 70's.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    They're not even worth bother with IMO... the only time I remember coming up I was actually looking for them around my neighborhood and it was all very weird and bizarre how it went down.

That might literally be the last way I would choose to look for records. But I may be hard to please... after a lot of driving and a lot of disappointment (and a couple promising leads with addresses that didn't even seem to exist!) I gave up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That might literally be the last way I would choose to look for records. But I may be hard to please... after a lot of driving and a lot of disappointment (and a couple promising leads with addresses that didn't even seem to exist!) I gave up.

There are a lot of dead ends, but garage/yard sales are 1000x more fruitful than
    thrift shops, IMO, and in some cases have been the scene of my best scores ever.
    These are pretty much the only situation where there is the possibility of scoring
    an entire sick collection for fifty cents each.

And of course, real headz know the magic of "got any records?" when you don't
    see any out, followed by "oh I didn't think anyone cared about those - you want
    to come in and go through them?" aka 1st dibbs on a unsorted collection.

One of my best scores like this literally involved a woman yelling at me from her
    front door as she saw me walking away from a neighbor's yard sale with records
    in my hand, inviting me in to see if wanted any of HER records. I was a little
    afraid she was going to cook me for dinner, but instead I got a pile of shrinkwrapped
    Folkways ethnic, a bunch of clean jazz, and rare private folk joints, etc, all
    for $1 apiece. Out of nowhere!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    no early birds please!!!

which one to go to?

what are yer methods?

newspaper? straight driving down roads?

gonna be a nice weekend i think

Straight driving down roads. Also, if you "miss" a garage sale don't be afraid to knock on the front door and say you saw a sign for a garage sale. When they tell you that the sale was the previous weekend, just tell 'em you're looking to buy records. I've gotten some great stuff with that technique.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    They're not even worth bother with IMO... the only time I remember coming up I was actually looking for them around my neighborhood and it was all very weird and bizarre how it went down.

Jesus, where do you live?

Garage sales around here are

There is a Bay Area city that is so broke, yard saels go down any day of the week.

Looking forward to Summer 2009!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Oh trust me, there have been times that have lead to a lot of frustration, but that's how it is. Thrift stores have been dry but it takes someone to throw something out and I hope to be able to make it there when it's placed on the floor.

Again, it can be frustrating but when I am hunting for records, I don't mind taking chances. I've also bought less crap in the last few years, eliminating clutter that I definitely don't need.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

There is a Bay Area city that is so broke, yard saels go down any day of the week.

I'm in Raleigh

Its kinda spread out and too much of a small town at the same time - i.e. you could take forever just finding the sales but it doesn't matter because a handful of grippeurs will have already been haranguing the folks for records days before it even goes down.

Even when I was REALLY patient about record hunting I did not have the strength for that shit at all.

Now my patience is completely gone and it all just falls in my lap basically, and I still get more than I should...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    When I lived in LA I used to drive around a lot on the weekends looking for sales. What used to drive me crazy were people out there that had "yard sales" every weekend. These "sales" were actually stores set up in people's garages (ie. avoiding taxes related). After a while I got to recognize which signs were in fact real garage sales.
    Here in DC yard sales are hit or miss but when they hit they hit big. Went to one sale in my neighborhood two years ago where this lady was selling bags full of about 25 7"s for $3 each. I grabbed them all and found loads of rare funk and soul 7"s including Ricardo Marrero and more.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Haha... Wife and I were driving around this morning, and as we drove by a yardsale, I yelled out, "Chair!" She hit the breaks, and we stopped.

Turned out to be a dud, but as we walked back to the car, she started listing all the great stuff we've gotten over the years at yard sales: records, chairs, brand new food processor, and some bizarre stuff that we love that is tough to describe.

Love them thangs; CHAIR!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i've done well out in my area w/ yard sales. a few weeks back i scored 15 super clean late 60's blue notes for a quarter a piece. yesterday i hit the boy scouts yard sale and scored a rotary connection "hey love", some local private lp's plus a few other things like the gator ost and sealed eddie kendricks lp's.

last year i scored a really rare psych record out of a stack of beat to shit country lp's.

yard sales rule!

peace,xavier

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

yard sales in the Bay or anywhere in Cali seem to be fruitful. Cali is an entertainment mecca where you can find anything. I wish it was like that around here.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    They're not even worth bother with IMO...

In Dallas I'll dip into estate sales but rarely bother with garage sales.

Though I did go to one in some newly constructed cookie cutter suburban neighborhood and the soccer mom had the Brenda & the Tabulations LP on top & bottom and a clean upgrade copy of Maggot Brain in with her Journey and Corey Hart joints.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    In Florida garagle sales are serious come up territory. Estate sales too.

cosign on what SOI said. Nearly the last frontier for solid comeups. I went to a flea market today in the city that had no records--zero. I hope that's not an emerging trend.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    I've found some killer shit at house/garage sales in the pittsburgh area

• Ny is a different beast. Just taking a weekend stroll has lead me to some of the most quality records I own. I work a bike job with a sunday shift and when the weather is nice I find at least one piece that I actually listen to every weekend on the cheap for the most part.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    yard sales are good, but my best come ups are from estate sales.