Ortofon Nightclub cartridges

2»

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    So which Ortofon Nightclub E's are people recommending?
    The mk1 or mk2's?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Cartridge burn-in time is real though as is burn-in time for every other piece of audio gear ever made. There are lots of technical reasons but if you're not into that just take it as it is.

I want to hear some of those technical reasons.

I've come up with a good technical reason.

It's your ears that are breaking in to the sound of the cartridge.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So which Ortofon Nightclub E's are people recommending?
    The mk1 or mk2's?

I think either is fine.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anyone here ever use Pickerings?

Almost 10 years ago. Never owned a set, I can't recall anything of significance about them other than the case they came in was shaped like a banana.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    bump

1. Updates?

2. Cheapest place to copp?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I bought a barely used pair off eBay for about $120 shipped a year ago. If you're not desperate I think that might be the way to go.

Whoever said the downside to these Ortofons was that it picks up every little bit of crackle were not lying. Listening to what I thought were previously mint records is now making me cringe as I'm picking up a whole new layer of light - but audible - noise underneath.

That said, it does sound awesome. Next week, the Apogee Duet I bought should arrive and my digitizing cipher will be complete.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Whoever said the downside to these Ortofons was that it picks up every little bit of crackle were not lying. Listening to what I thought were previously mint records is now making me cringe as I'm picking up a whole new layer of light - but audible - noise underneath.

Welcome to the club. That said, they are still better.

Anyone know of a filter/effect best suited to reduce this, in Audacity or Sound Studio, etc ?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Oliver make sure to clean your records too. Static and dust will sound worse than you ever imagined.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Oliver make sure to clean your records too. Static and dust will sound worse than you ever imagined.

yes. run some of those records on a machine and most of that will go away.

fidelity's a bitch

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I grabbed a pair last month due to this thread and I can't believe I've been using Shure M44G/7's for like, a decade.
    (not keeping up with technology's a bitch)

Sounds fantastic and yes I hear the static too O*i**r.
    In fact in combo with my 4-way HPM-100's

BIG>I HEAR EVERYTHING NOW/BIG>

Thanks SS!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    @laserwolf

I'm not sure about sound quallity, but breaking needles in makes a huge difference when it comes to scratching and back cueing in my experience.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

fidelity's a bitch

CHILD LABOUR ALERT

fidelity's a bitch

Ive been putting away DJ money every week to save up for big ticket items - my Nikon D-90, this Apogee Duet I just got. Next up: VPI 16.5!

fidelity's a bitch

CHILD LABOUR ALERT

FREEDOM AINT FREE

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

fidelity's a bitch

Ive been putting away DJ money every week to save up for big ticket items - my Nikon D-90, this Apogee Duet I just got. Next up: VPI 16.5!

plz to poast a sample when you get the Duet in.

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    Audiotechnica 440ML, best cartridge in this price range. I bought from LP Gear before, USA-Argentina transaction with zero problem.

You can't get better sound for this money. Trust me.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant...ategory_Code=A3

Not sure about the USA-Argentina comment, as LPGear ships from Vegas, although there is a strong chance that was an attempt at some lame humor.

LPgear has the audiotechnica's the cheapest around too, even with shipping.

So what's the verdict on concord vs the ones you mount to a head shell?

I recall people saying that the concords wear your vinyl more, but sound a little better. is that true? I can see how record wear would be less relevant to microwave users, but I'm trying to get the best sound using 12' singles. so it seems like i should not get the concords.

do the ortofon nightclubs sound better than shure whitelables?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've noticed no wear since using concords a couple years ago.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    I've noticed no wear since using concords a couple years ago.
    i've been using the concords for over 5 years and i think they are great. i remember people warning me that they F*ck up the connection on the tone arm and that they burn out records... but that shit hasn't happened to me.