Ortofon Nightclub cartridges

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Just wanted to make sure before I took the plunge - people recommend the Ortofon Nightclub E (as opposed to S) cart/needle for higher-end audiophile/digitizing use, right? Is the MK2 series that much better or does it really matter?

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I would get the E unless you are scratchmaster T.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Ortofons are mad chickish.

Yeah, I said it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't even know what that means.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I don't even know what that means.
    i think he's trying to say you will look like a girl if you use ortofons? hell, i peer pressured my lady into selling her set....... they weren't nightclubs though, just those extra wack blue concorde things.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    I thought it was well known that those stupid needles:

A. Ruined Records (too easily scratch, in a bad way, records)
    B. Ruined Tone-Arms (bent, because of the stupid design, the contact prongs inside)
    C. Suck . Suck . Suck . Suck . Suck . Suck ... Suck

Well, I'm open to other suggestions for an audiophile cartridge for archiving purposes.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I've got a Dynavector 20x on my listening deck... it's supra smooth, with a nice bottom end, without killing the high. Takes about 100 hrs to break in, but its worth it.

Strictly for playing records, not playing with records.

Takes about 100 hrs to break in,

Dude.

Yes, I know... you need to find one of those constant loop LP's and lock it in for a few days... I don't have one, but I figure I use it at least 4 hrs every day, so after 25 days she's set. Seriously O, you needle is important for sound quality, if that's what your after... and breakin it in is par for the course.
    All's to say it won't sound 'bad' when it's fresh... it just improves as it ages.

Yes, I know... you need to find one of those constant loop LP's and lock it in for a few days... I don't have one, but I figure I use it at least 4 hrs every day, so after 25 days she's set. Seriously O, you needle is important for sound quality, if that's what your after... and breakin it in is par for the course.
    All's to say it won't sound 'bad' when it's fresh... it just improves as it ages.

I believe you but between that and the price, I think I'm sticking with the Nightclub. Between Johnny using it for archiving, Thes using it for sampling and Egon using it for reissues, that's all the cosignage I need.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Audiotechnica 440ML, best cartridge in this price range. I bought from LP Gear before, USA-Argentina transaction with zero problem.

You can't get better sound for this money. Trust me.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant...ategory_Code=A3

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I had one of these for a while and was pretty impressed. I didn't have anything to compare it to, aside from some 44-7's though. Just don't accidentally leave it at the bar.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    With cartridges there's not really such a thing as "best sound". It's mostly personal preference and taste. The ortofons should give you the punch that your after O.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Ortofon recommended tracking force: 3 grs

Audio Technica recommended tracking force: 1.5 grs

I believe you but between that and the price, I think I'm sticking with the Nightclub. Between Johnny using it for archiving, Thes using it for sampling and Egon using it for reissues, that's all the cosignage I need.

I hear you... I've got the Nightclub on the decks I mix with, good strong cartridge.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    it just improves as it ages.

Why?

Please give a credible explanation as to why a diamond stylus and a few electrical connections improve with age.
    I want to understand.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Why?

Please give a credible explanation as to why a diamond stylus and a few electrical connections improve with age.
    I want to understand.

not the diamond stylus, not the electrical connections, but the little rubber suspension piece that holds the cantilever.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    pff

you guys buy 10,000$ rca cables too?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

O, so I'm clear, is this what your talking about? Been thinking about stepping my transfer game up, and prob won't be upgrading my converters soon, despite what people say about the 002...

Why?

I want to understand.

not the diamond stylus, not the electrical connections, but the little rubber suspension piece that holds the cantilever.

That's a joke?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I thought it was well known that those stupid needles:

A. Ruined Records (too easily scratch, in a bad way, records)
    B. Ruined Tone-Arms (bent, because of the stupid design, the contact prongs inside)
    C. Suck . Suck . Suck . Suck . Suck . Suck ... Suck

&

It really isn??t that simple (and it??s even more hilarious to promote SHURE needles as the GREAT alternative).

The basic ortofons somehow suck (so do many basic systems by other manufacturers), but they produce a couple of really good ones, including the nightclubs and high level stuff, that really is only suitable for listening purposes and certainly not for DJ use. I currently use the broadcast e and I really like it (not sure whether it really makes a difference compared to the nightclub e, but I think the broadcasts sound warmer and are more suited for "ancient pre-techno stuff", while the nightclubs are particlularly good for techno. If you want great sound, leave DJ cartidges behind and go for the stuff done for listening purposes only. Ortofon and a couple of others offer various options in this sector.

I didn't end up getting the MK2, just the normal Nightclub E.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    002 dude - black lion audio mod. it's the truth.

Look - DJ cartridges are built to produce a certain in your face sound, and if you've been listening to records this way for over a decade, as have listeners used to hearing records sound like that, that's the sound you're gonna be going for.

Personally I think all audiophile cartridges absolutely suck for 45s/anything poorly pressed and are pretty much built for people to sit and listen to MFSL half-speed masters and shit. Plus a lot of them are pretty much working to soften sounds to be pleasing and as a DJ/archivist that's not at all what you want. Sounds magical through your hi-fi but in reality, that shit is way out of balance.

That said the AT440s are nice, as is the Shure m97xe or whatever it's name is. The old shure series that is now impossible to find sounds amazing. But these are all cartridges that are built in a straightforward manner with designs oriented around archival cartridges. All that said I personally like the Ortofon nightclub sound the best out of any, but not everyone has the same ears.

Cartridge burn-in time is real though as is burn-in time for every other piece of audio gear ever made. There are lots of technical reasons but if you're not into that just take it as it is.

Odubs how are you liking the Ortofons? Warning, they may sound a bit harsh in the highs at first and be lacking bass. Let them burn-in, after about 20 hours you should be good. :semicrazy:

Cartridge burn-in time is real though as is burn-in time for every other piece of audio gear ever made. There are lots of technical reasons but if you're not into that just take it as it is.

I want to hear some of those technical reasons.

I am not an audiophile, but I am always interested when 'philes say something like this that has no obvious technical explanation.

I've had guys who are into technical reasons tell me all kinds of nonsense, like a brick on the amp improves sound, and who can forget green markers on cds?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

best dj cartridges i've heard.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

What is so good about them?

Do you play out a lot?

I'm trying to figure out the best needle for me right now, I play lots of disco, quite a few indie and private press things too, and am trying to get them to bang the best they can in a club, I can't ask dj gear spots, because they just don't get what I am talking about, and will try to talk me into something good for techno or something. I need needles that can retain the warmth of my disco tunes, but are balanced enough to make those snares snap and bass jack. Am I being unreasonable?

Someone please guide me!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Do you play out a lot?

I'm trying to figure out the best needle for me right now, I play lots of disco, quite a few indie and private press things too, and am trying to get them to bang the best they can in a club, I can't ask dj gear spots, because they just don't get what I am talking about, and will try to talk me into something good for techno or something. I need needles that can retain the warmth of my disco tunes, but are balanced enough to make those snares snap and bass jack. Am I being unreasonable?

Someone please guide me!

they have a rich sound, with a good distribution across high to low. compared to other dj needles, tracking can be a little jumpy.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

Do you play out a lot?

Someone please guide me!

check this thread over at the deep funk messageboard for the pros and cons of the grados.

Spelunk: Mine haven't arrived yet. I did just get in my Nikon D90 though. HOT DAMN.

Anyway: the Nightclub E is *strictly* for digitizing/archival purposes. I DJ with Shure White Labels and don't have any plans to stop doing so - they've served me well for several years now (and the 447s before them) especially given the all-around package (sound + usefulness in DJ settings). I'm sure the Ortofons would sound good in the club but I'd like to reserve that just for home use.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Anyone here ever use Pickerings?