Speaker Noise Help

corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I own a pair of Event TR8 Speakers for my computer system. Basically, I pick radio signals and buzz from them ALL THE TIME (unless they're powered off). I've tried everything that I can think of, balanced speaker cables, a monster 2500 power conditioner. I'm pretty sure it has A)something to do with the wiring in my building (my neighbor experiences this too) B)I live in the shadow of Sutro tower in SF.Either way I want to get rid of the noise. I pick up at least two different radio stations and a constant buzz to go along with it.Any help to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I had a pair of TR8XLs and encountered the same problem. After talking to Event support staff, they said that it was a problem with the amps in the speakers. They switched them out for free and paid for shipping both ways.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it has A)something to do with the wiring in my building (my neighbor experiences this too) B)I live in the shadow of Sutro tower in SF.

I think both of these may be it....how old is the building you're in? As overwhelming as this sounds....the whole place may not be properly grounded and that tower isn't helping. It might be a good idea to get an experienced electrician to tell you what you need to do and take that to your landlord saying the place has a short that may set the whole place on fire if too many people plug in at the same time (but be more creative than that) and hopefully s/he will take of it.

EDIT - when I say experienced - I know you're not going to ask the local vet - I mean as far as your particular problem is concerned...use the speaker noise as the starting point....

• J_RoyJ_Roy 33 Posts
    It could be a ground loop. If you have any three pronged plugs for your equipment (incl your computer), you can try using a three prong to two prong adapter to plug it in to the electrical outlet. This may eliminate the ground loop.

An easy way to do this is to take an old powerbar and break the ground prong off. Plug your equipment into this powerbar and see if it helps.

I don't know what the consequences are for not grounding your equipment so I'd recommend just using this as a test.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Thanks dudes, I will explore these options.