Dead Kennedy's Appreciation

shawnald_reaganshawnald_reagan 318 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I revisited a few albums of theirs yesterday and enjoyed the shit out of it.Great logo, great artwork (thanks Winston Smith!)great energy and possibly my favorite offensive band name ever. Too bad Jello Biafra dicked over most of the group. I think this one is my favorites: Terminal Preppie seemed relevent even when I was in college. Anyone else ride?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

My two favourites above, but 'Fresh Fruit...' hit really hard when it came out. I mean the power and speed blew everyone else out of the water. And is that really EVH on that album? That was a big favourite amongst teenagers here who resisted th allure of mod and ska. I listened to that two weeks ago, and it triggered all sorts of happy memories.

When 'In God We Trust' came out, I was a little bit meh about it.

I ride.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Jello Biafra sounds like spongebob squarepants being shaken violently

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I rode in high school. Last year a coworker played one of their albums at work. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about Teddy.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about Teddy.

no you didn't...and now everyone knows you're a liar

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I rode in high school. Last year a coworker played one of their albums at work. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I can relate, especially if the album in question was Frankenchrist or later. I was a big fan in high school, and will always keep my copy of "Fresh Fruit". Nowadays, a little goes a long way.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I still ride for "Stealing People's Mail."

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    "moon over marin" is a great punk song.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    "Holiday In Cambodia/Police Truck" one of the great 12s of all time. What really set them apart from the rest of the hardcore scene was how tight their sound was. I think a lot their stuff is still really listenable even today.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    'Fresh Fruit...' hit really hard when it came out. I mean the power and speed blew everyone else out of the water.

I ride.

• I thought of the DK's the other day while y'all were discussing the new dangermouse download/blank cd strategy.

Dead Kennedy's In god we trust (inc) had a blank side on the cassette. It said something like: "home taping is killing the record industry, we've left this side blank for your use."

I don't know too many people who actually taped over that side. But the Debord-style prank of it all was quite transparent for the time.

I like 'em. Political, savvy, and punko-classique de sneer.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Jello is quite the record dude also...he spent 2 whole days in our shop and bought boxes and boxes of records.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Fresh fruit got me into punk basically. It was nothing I had ever heard before and it really used to piss off my dad when I started listening to that kind of stuff.
    Plastic Surgery Disaster was kind of a grower for me but now I like it better than Fresh Fruit. Terminal preppie and Forest fire still blow my wig back whenever I listen to them.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Fresh Fruit, Plastic Surgery Disasters, In God We Trust, just sound rad. I appreciate Easy Bay Ray's use of the echoplex, brings some psych into the sound. I definitely like the earlier stuff as opposed to later, they got more and more produced and it kind of just turned me off a little. The early stuff is more raw.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    One of my favorite bands of that (or any era). I still unashamedly ride hard. That DVD that came out a couple of years back with the "lost recordings"/sessions on it..... whoa, it was really eye opening to see them playing live & so tight in the studio. The hunger was practically leaping through the screen. Great stuff. It does kind of suck that Jello screwed the others over royalties, letting them use the name & tour with another singer doesn't quite make up for it either.....

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Been re enjoying their catalog over the past year. It has aged well. Still sounds so good.

I worked in a record store where Jello visited once. He asked if he could use out employees only bathroom and we let him. After he left we noticed he left his logs unflushed.

I suppose he didn't like our elitist private bathroom and decided to poop for the people.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I ride