Thoughts on an AKAI MPD32 with FL?

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Howdy guys,Curious on people's thoughts and experiences with the AKAI MPD32.A bit of background. Grew up with tracker software on Amiga and progressed onto PC and Fruityloops. Have a USB MIDI controller that I use for my mainly electronic productions and map out filters and EQ controls to the various knobs on the keyboard. While this set up is fairly handy and conducive to electronic production, it's a bit stifling for my hip hop stuff which is largely sample-based.For ages I've been wanting to take on a more hands-on approach and have been toying with idea of getting an MPC, but am also aware that it's a bit of a jump to go from my current computer set up to a hands on (although I'm fairly certain hands on would be more conductive for creativity and doing different things, esp with the MPC's work flow).Rather than invest ~$A1100 for an MPC1000, I was thinking about getting an MPD32 pad controller (like around ~$A500) and using it with Fruity and trying it out that way so I can see if the MPC style of production is for me rather than just jumping into the deep end and splashing out on a machine that might not be for me.I'm curious if anyone has had any similar experiences to this - esp with using the MPD32 with Fruity Loops - and was willing to share!Many thanks!cheersMax

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Akai's pad controllers will not get you into the "MPC style of production" beyond banging on pads because the MPC's main strength is its sequencer. I don't think you can go wrong with the MPD32 if you set it up properly but you're still going to be using Fruity Loops' sequencer. If you're cool with the sequencer, a proper MIDI controller can only enhance your workflow.

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    ^^What he said. You need to get an MPC with a sequencer to really get the MPC feel (IMO). If you intend to use FL you can probs sync it up through midi so that you use the MPC to sequence but when you hit a pad it triggers from the computer. I do this with Logic and an MPC 2000, works well. MPC 2000s can be had for fairly cheap these days.. I just bought my second one recently and I paid less than they are currently charging for the MPD32.

Happy Birthday Max!

• Thanks for the response guys - and thanks for the well wishes Nick, the big 3-0 has been pretty good so far! My girl is offering to buy me an MPC1000 for a present but I've said no as she's not working at the moment, so would feel bad if she dropped $$$ on my account!

Wow, that's ridic you bought a second one for that cheap! Is that because they're rampant in Melbourne?

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Nah I bought it in Tokyo..

The 2000 seems to have devalued due to lack of features compared to the newer models, and lack of a decent sampler when compared to the older models. I don't use mine to sample, and the sequencer is nice enough. One of these I'll get a 3000..

• Ah Tokyo, how I wish I was there again! Toying with idea of going at the end of December to coincide with the Bledisloe game, but very up in the air!

I think with the price of the MPD32, I'm figuring I might just go the whole hog and buy either an MPC1000 or a second hand MPC2000.

You in Melb now btw or still in Japan?

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Fl Studio also ships with FPC (Fruity pad controller) which is an MPC like interface. You can load and layer sounds across 16 pads, send each pad as an individual out to effects chains in the FL mixer, etc etc. It's extremely powerful and flexible. Combining the FPC plug-in with an MPD32 should open up all kinds of possbilities, so you're not locked into the pattern and piano roll sequencing options in FL. I've used FPC with my Korg PadKontrol and it's completely improved my workflow, and it's a lot of fun to boot.

• thanks kaushik for re-opening my eyes to FPC, completely forgot about it!

just curious, is there any way to map individual beat slices through FLslicer to the pads via drag and drop or is the only way to assign samples to pads by individually loading each one up? no probs if not, but if you could do that, would improve flow immensely!

I thought I had done it but then realised that when you slice a beat it automatically layers the slicers across the keyboard from C5 onwards - I'm sorta playing the keyboard keys like drum pads but not quite the same. But still, that sort of beat programming is certainly way more creative - and fun! - than using a mouse!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Avoid the 1000. At least that's what I've heard. A friend of mine bought one, and said the pads didn't feel great, and on top of that something with the pads broke. It would have cost him more to get it fixed than buy a new one.

The sequencing features of the MPC can be approximated with a DAW, I'm just not sure which would be the best choice. You might want to check out Ableton Live, and Steinberg's sampler platform for starters. You can get the same workflow with different machinery, it's just a matter of knowing what you want to do, and choosing the software that will facilitate that the best.

I have an MPD32 and I've just been using it with the bundled lite version of Ableton and I've been happy. But all I do is set up cue points, and play back breaks, record that, then pull loops from those live recordings. It's a roundabout process but it yields great results.

thanks kaushik for re-opening my eyes to FPC, completely forgot about it!

just curious, is there any way to map individual beat slices through FLslicer to the pads via drag and drop or is the only way to assign samples to pads by individually loading each one up? no probs if not, but if you could do that, would improve flow immensely!

I thought I had done it but then realised that when you slice a beat it automatically layers the slicers across the keyboard from C5 onwards - I'm sorta playing the keyboard keys like drum pads but not quite the same. But still, that sort of beat programming is certainly way more creative - and fun! - than using a mouse!

I've never tried the FL slicer, so I don't know if you can map individual sounds from the slicer to FPC. But, FPC allows you to drag any sound (one-shots, loops etc.) from the file browser to the FPC pads. You can also layer up sounds on each pad so the possibilities are endless.

Also when you load sounds on each FPC pad, each pad shows up as a separate "key" in the piano roll. That way you can use your controller of choice (MPD for instance) to record MIDI in real time, then use the piano roll to fine tune.

For me the real power is the individual output for each FPC pad, which you can route to the FL mixer. The FL mixer is really powerful -- multiple effects per channel, multiple aux sends assignable to other mixer channels or their own efx chains, etc etc.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Avoid the 1000. At least that's what I've heard. A friend of mine bought one, and said the pads didn't feel great, and on top of that something with the pads broke. It would have cost him more to get it fixed than buy a new one.

Yeah my cuz had to replace the pads on th 1000...it cost over ??100 i think.

So MPC folls say if i had ??500...about $1000 what's the best MPC option for me???...or will i end up with something shit that will need mad upgrades?

I've wanted an mpc for ages so im thinking that i might skip paying rent for a month & get one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I wouldn't say avoid the 1000 unless you actually knew what you were talking about.

The first revision of the 1000s, the blue and red ones, were known to have faulty pads and that's something Akai corrected in the second revision, the black model. Pad durability is obviously going to differ from user to user depending on how they use the machine.

I would actually say even if you had to replace the pads, a used MPC 1000 is probably one of the better deals to be had, especially if you install the JJOS . As long as the smaller pads on the 1000 are good for you, I would highly recommend it over pretty much any similar offering you will get around that price range.

• Also when you load sounds on each FPC pad, each pad shows up as a separate "key" in the piano roll. That way you can use your controller of choice (MPD for instance) to record MIDI in real time, then use the piano roll to fine tune.

For me the real power is the individual output for each FPC pad, which you can route to the FL mixer. The FL mixer is really powerful -- multiple effects per channel, multiple aux sends assignable to other mixer channels or their own efx chains, etc etc.

QFT!

Thinking about it now, I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting the MPD32 (although at the moment, I use a USB Photon as both a MIDI controller and soundcard on my laptop - will there be MIDI conflict issues with two devices?) and adding it to the system and using FL as my sequencer software as I'm very comfortable with it and love the possibilities the FL mixer presents.

It'll prob be a little easier financially to do it this way and I guess I can then move onto a dedicated MPC unit if I really want, but I think having the hands on approach will really open my eyes up. When I was doing the "faux MPC'ing" last night, even having the drum chops laid across a single octave of keys really opened drum programming options other than the regular boom bap!

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Yeah I had a black 1000, used it daily for a year or so before flipping. No problems with it whatsoever.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I wouldn't say avoid the 1000 unless you actually knew what you were talking about.

As long as the smaller pads on the 1000 are good for you, I would highly recommend it over pretty much any similar offering you will get around that price range.

From what I've read of user reviews, a lot of people are not into the pads. For the record, they're different from the ones on the 2000 series. Size of the 1000 is great. Drag and drop USB transfer is super convenient. Personally, I think that if you have a decent laptop anyways the mpd32 is a better choice. But, everyone's got a different workflow, so you gotta do you.

You shouldn't have any issues using both the MPD32 and your keyboard controller.. I've used both the PadKontrol and a keyboard controller, you just have to configure your MIDI settings in FL so the MIDI messages are on separate MIDI channels, easily configurable in FL. More here:

http://flstudio.image-line.com/help/html/envsettings_midi.htm

2. FL Studio can respond simultaneously to multiple controllers, however, to avoid controller CC conflicts (where more than one controller tries to adjust the same software control on the same MIDI channel) it is wise to assign each controller to transmit on a unique MIDI channel. See the documentation that came with the controller on setting MIDI send/transmit channels. By default, FL Studio listens to MIDI data in OMNI mode (all channels 1 - 16 simultaneously).