Norteno Strut

2»

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    TX (i forget where)

legendary brisket

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I'm partial to Banda Sinaloense myself. Not a big fan of country.

• I recommend this book. Great exciting and informative read. Captures the Mexican songwriting tradition. Dude takes his guitar, jumps on a bus, and hitchhikes through Mexico in search of Corrido songwriters. Covers Tejano music, the birth of corridos, the connection to crime, and all of the heavy hitters including Los Tucanes, Los Tigres, and Chalino (Chalinitos too). Dude even hangs out with one of the big narcocorrido dudes at a BBQ as a guest and does blow with him. Great stories full of drugs, crime, and music.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Nah, norteno music is sick. Gonna pull out my Tigres Del Norte records today.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    heres a semi-tejano mix i made about 5 years ago. all from ca, az, and tx.

just got around to playing this.
    between this and the doo wop mix from a while back, i think shig might make my favorite mixes on soulstrut.

^thanks dude.

we got bumped next month from our sat. nite gig so if any of youz in LA on sunday, june 14th, me and jeffie will be doing our original gig "on a sunday afternoon..." all that doo wop, bolero, ranchera, tejano, r&b soulful goodness in the middle of the day. ONE TIME ONLY. we both would rather do a sunday afternoon rather than a sat nite, but alas, no one comes on sunday afternoon.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Shig: I luh the Mandrake as a space but for the kind of music you're playing, you need to move east, young man. Find a place on the east side that'd give you a Sunday afternoon and I think you could something *nice* out there. GREAT MIX btw.

Cosign on Elijah's book too.

when we first started out, that was the plan. i tried el cid and la cita but they acted too hollywood for my tastes. wanted demos and shit. the mandrake were such easy folks to work with. always treated me and jeffie with love and im too lazy to make a fuss about where its at. we dont have to do promotion. we just show up, play records we like, play movies we like, and leave. its the perfect set-up for hobbyist record nerds.