SIN NOMBRE (moviestrut)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
SIN NOMBRE[/b] I know this film got a brief mention in the Rudo y corsi thread, but it actually deserves more attention. I know this week you're probably still hyped on the mainstream buzz of star trek. with that said,This was easily the best movie I've seen this year. Cary joji Fukunaga reminds me of the next, Alfonso Cuaron, Fernando mereilles, Alejandro I????rritu. The cinematography is brilliant, and it really takes you to a place that you've never seen before on screen. The cast was wonderful, and full of mostly uknown actors. It's gritty and terrifying, but also a really well told story. Fukunaga has a real talent for showing you emotions and intent without ever explicity telling you what's going on. Not dumbing it down for the audience. You can usually tell by the actors body language and reactions as far as what's going to happen. Actually showing you what's going on without giving you the best angle but you know what's going on. A very delicate masterful touch I can't wait to see more from this young director.It only got a limited release and is already in theaters. I highly reccomend you check it out while it's in theaters. http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/sinnombre/Support REAL film.SPREAD THE WORD.[/b]- spidey

Comments

• i saw it about a month ago and thought it was really good. favorite part was when the kids were tossing the food to them on the train. real schitt indeed.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think I created a separate thread for this a while back. Great movie! 'Bout to watch Rudo Y Cursi tonight though!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Solid film. I'll

• deanosoundsdeanosounds 181 Posts
    I saw it and it was an amazing movie. The stuff people do just to get to the US.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    whats good D**g*?

I remember this getting a lot of buzz here in LA about a month or so back, sadly I lunched on it. Hopefully I'll get to catch it on DVD.

PS since were on film recommendations whats the judgement on Tyson?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    the actor who played willy did a f*cking fantastic job
    great movie.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Co-sign everything that's been said. I feel like a could watch it again and catch more subtleties of the acting. I was too busy admiring the cinematography...really beautifully shot, almost like a Terrrence Malick film. My favorite scene was when the little kid was showing off his glock to the other little kids from the neighborhood, pretending like he was a big tough guy now.

Anyone scene Gomorrah yet?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Anyone scene Gomorrah yet?

I enjoyed Gomorrah. The housing project in which much of the film is set is one of the better backdrops for a film I've seen in a long time.

I'm probably in the minority in thinking the film should've scaled back its focus a little. Yes, the point of the film is to convince us that the mafia has inextricably linked to every level of society -- but I walked into the theatre already convinced of that, and found some of the stories more interesting than others. So the "Short Cuts"-like format of following each character chronologically for about a reel and then moving on to the next really made the story feel like it was plodding, inching forward.

Maybe not the masterpiece some critics are making it out to be, but I'd definitely recommend it and it'll probably be on my top 10 list at the end of the year.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Co-sign everything that's been said. I feel like a could watch it again and catch more subtleties of the acting.

Yup, I saw it a second time two days after the first.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Terrific movie, with awesome cinematography and characters.

Highly recommended.