Johnny "Guitar" Watson's 50s sides will....

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
...kick your ass.that is all.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    That's fo real. What's the one..... "I'm Bad" or something. Dude did some Cadet stuff that ripped it. For a long time I just thougt he was the smooth funkster then I stared finding this old stuff.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Three Minutes To Midnight

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Three Minutes To Midnight

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Three Hours Past Midnight
    but regardless, an ass whomper

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Still looking for a copy of "Listen"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

me too.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

That one is so hard to find. Seen it, but not for sale.

• Still looking for a copy of "Listen"

That one is so hard to find. Seen it, but not for sale.

Great fucking record.

The only 78 I own is a Johnny Watson on Federal from 1952 or something. The early stuff is great!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Anyone ever heard any of the Okeh sides?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Co-sign.
    I got a couple nice LP comps of 50's sides - my favorite track on them is
    "The Eagle is Back[/b]"

I have a really nice (way nicer than the photo) promo copy of this Chess LP:

That I will trade to anyone for a copy of the Larry Williams/Johnny "Guitar" Watson Two for the Price of One[/b] LP on Okeh!!

I also have a copy of the Okeh LP - The Johnny Watson Trio, In a Fats Bag[/b], where they do all Fats Waller songs, which is surprisingly good. I listen to it as much as the raw blues stuff.

I want that Larry Williams/Johnny Watson LP!!!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Johnny Guitar Watson LP that drops my jaw is "I Don't Want to be Alone, Stranger" with his honey dressed in an Indian get-up, complete with headband in a convertible, with Johnny dressed like the Lone Ranger. The song "Strong Vibrations" is one of the dopest slow burn mellow cuts I have heard. And the LP he did with Larry Williams, "2 for the Price of One" is a killer classic of uptempo soul.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    That's fo real. What's the one..... "I'm Bad" or something. Dude did some Cadet stuff that ripped it. For a long time I just thougt he was the smooth funkster then I stared finding this old stuff.
    I got into Watson the other way (no ayo), through the blues stuff first & then discovered his later funky stuff, I kinda thought it was weak compared to the early blues sides but over time my tastes have changed a bit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My copy "two for the price of one/mercy, mercy, mercy" is the toughest golden oldies reissue of a 45 I've ever encountered. Anyone else know of any great obscure cuts out on one of those 45 jukebox reissue series.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My copy "two for the price of one/mercy, mercy, mercy" is the toughest golden oldies reissue of a 45 I've ever encountered. Anyone else know of any great obscure cuts out on one of those 45 jukebox reissue series.

There's a good Jimmy Hughes one with "Neighbor Neighbor" b/w "Steal Away," and I have a cool one on Original Sound that's "Funky Broadway" by Dyke & the Blazers on one side, and "Talk Talk" by the Music Machine on the flip.