Lamont Dozier Productions...

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I've been lucky enough to pick up 2 highly touted Dozier productions over the lat couple of weeks (Future Flight & Zingara) I'm noticing he had a really soulful style for the early 80's that stands up as pretty unique...and I dig it.what other Dozier productions are worth grabbing that are in this vein?

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Not that the album is all that great, but Dozier produced an LP for late-70's teen idols The Keane Brothers entitled "Taking Off." Most of it is no great shakes (pretty weak vocals), but there is a pretty credible, boogie-ish cover of "Dancin' In The Moonlight" on there.

The 12 inch version of this cut outdoes the album version in spades.

SG

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I know there are others but Lawrence Hilton Jacobs has a pretty dope album produced by Dozier. Dude was on welcome back kotter and somehow got a LD produced album as a bonus.

• there is a pretty credible, boogie-ish cover of "Dancin' In The Moonlight" on there. The 12 inch version of this cut outdoes the album version in spades.

SG

You would have to be trying really hard to f*ck up such a good song! (and- post sound please...)

• I know there are others but Lawrence Hilton Jacobs has a pretty dope album produced by Dozier. Dude was on welcome back kotter and somehow got a LD produced album as a bonus.

tripped out looking cover with a pic of him in the middle?
    think i got that around here somewhere sealed up.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    "GOIN' BACK TO MY ROOTS "IS ALL YOU NEED. wouldn't mind having a 12'' of this (I got the LP and 45). I also think Kritvitz made an edit of this.

there is a pretty credible, boogie-ish cover of "Dancin' In The Moonlight" on there. The 12 inch version of this cut outdoes the album version in spades.

SG

You would have to be trying really hard to f*ck up such a good song! (and- post sound please...)

Will do soon. Stay tuned.

SG

• "GOIN' BACK TO MY ROOTS "IS ALL YOU NEED. wouldn't mind having a 12'' of this (I got the LP and 45). I also think Kritvitz made an edit of this.

He did- more of a total overhaul / remix. My guess is you'll like it.

there is a pretty credible, boogie-ish cover of "Dancin' In The Moonlight" on there. The 12 inch version of this cut outdoes the album version in spades.

SG

Here it is:

Keane Bros - Dancin' In The Moonlight 12 inch version

SG

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "GOIN' BACK TO MY ROOTS "IS ALL YOU NEED. wouldn't mind having a 12'' of this (I got the LP and 45). I also think Kritvitz made an edit of this.

You know I was real excited when I found the OG 12" cuz of its rep but I was let down... I've pulled out a couple times since and still dont' understand why I'm supposed to be so impressed...

Also caught a sealed Zingara way back and don't remember that doing much for me either

I definitely get down with some mid-70s Dozier though...

• just rescued this from the dollar bin.

Dozier did the production on most of this and "Family Jewels" in particular reminds me of "Going Back to My Roots". Same driving, almost desperate beat. Recommended!