I JUST BOUGHT AN EMT 140

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
moving it across town and in morning - all 450lbs of it.PLEASE PLEASE KEEP US IN YOUR THOUGHTS - one false bump and the whole thing could come unsprung and ruin the driver inside. I am so shook right now. 11amPST it's on.Solid State model, Martinsound upgrade, mid-late 60's fabrication.450lbs 9' x 6' i think it's only appropriate: Pieces of history

Comments

• Options
    moving it across town and in morning - all 450lbs of it.

PLEASE PLEASE KEEP US IN YOUR THOUGHTS - one false bump and the whole thing could come unsprung and ruin the driver inside. I am so shook right now. 11amPST it's on.

Solid State model, Martinsound upgrade, mid-late 60's fabrication.
    450lbs 9' x 6'

i think it's only appropriate:

Pieces of history

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    what the f**k where did you find a working one?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    little dude alert!

what does it do?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    damn man

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    A plate reverb system uses an electromechanical transducer, similar to the driver in a loudspeaker, to create vibration in a large plate of sheet metal. A pickup captures the vibrations as they bounce across the plate, and the result is output as an audio signal.

reverb happens when something vibrates so fast, the human ear can't distinguish between the vibrations. kind of like roget's theory of persistence of vision:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    th*s is official like that yall

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I hope you got those cables down there, dude

Let me know how it goes

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    A plate reverb system uses an electromechanical transducer, similar to the driver in a loudspeaker, to create vibration in a large plate of sheet metal. A pickup captures the vibrations as they bounce across the plate, and the result is output as an audio signal.

in other models the piece of metal is an ultra thin coil of 18 carat gold, my mate is repairing one of those at the moment.

incredible machine, $$$$$$$$$$$$$

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    goddam dude, and I have a hard time selling the wife on getting another camera......

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

A friend of mine who's building an all-analogue studio bought one of these and had to drive it across the whole country - in winter with a car trailer. He told me how they had to climb an icey street up a hill and suddenly started sliding backwards down the hill. Somehow they managed to get the thing safe home and it works beautifully.

These pieces make such a diffrence in an recording. Digital reverb is getting nasty easily. I would always prefer analogue but I am not geeky enough (nor have money and space) to get a thing like an original plate reverb.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Any tracks you can technically hear this on? Or do I need better ears?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Any tracks you can technically hear this on? Or do I need better ears?

Usually when you have a 60s or 70s track and it has some strong reverb on it that doesn't sound natural but artificial in a cool way it's an analogue plate reverb (there where also some with iron springs and spirals).

The Mission to Mars album by Roland Kovac is a good example.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I never knew there was such a thing as a plate reverb. I had heard spring reverbs, seen instructions on some DIY ones too but this is news to me, looks bad ass

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    All the big label studios in the 60's and 70's had these strapped across every mix, as well as alot of higher end studios. I don't think it would be am exageration to say that 75-80% of classic records tom this era had plates as thier primary reverb. All things like axelrod, Motown, etc. There was no substitue for the plate, andnot even a huge room could give the same decay time.

I have four spring reverb here, my favorite being the akg bx5 and 10. I passed on a bx20 to get the plate... It wasn't expensive necessarily because the guy needed to get rid of it and go to a good home, but they are getting really rare. Existing, working to spec units in the hundreds or less.

Think beck's Sea Change, release of an oathe, pet sounds, etc.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    We had a big brass plate reverb unit at my school in Chicago in the basement of the recording studio, that thing sounded amazing.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    We used both plate and spring reverbs when we recorded the Otis Funkmeyer LP at Headgear Studios in Brooklyn.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    killing it!!!!!!

• how do you move it??

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I love the hell out my TAPCO spring verb and as soon as I saw your pic I instantly thought of all the stuff recorded at Capitol.
    Fukkin nuts dude. Congrats.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    damn I have used plenty of plate reverb settings, I never knew what it meant... damn that this is a beast.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    this makes me want to use your studio...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    plaese to post actual photos of unit and/or transport

very cool

• We used both plate and spring reverbs when we recorded the Otis Funkmeyer LP at Headgear Studios in Brooklyn.
    I used to work here and helped reassemble this bitch. It was part of a stereo pair that scott acuired from the magic shop as the doors closed. The other is sitting in Dave Siteks attic next door all beat to shit. I have laced plenty of record with this beautiful time based lovliness as well as my bands.

• lelandleland 43 Posts
    Nachhallplatte homie!! Your savagery is once again undeniable! Now, Can we make a guitar pedal sized one for my apartment? Do you have a good place to set this up at your crib?

Mix Magazine:

Today, with the proliferation of low- and high-end digital reverberation, room simulators and the like, it???s hard to recall a time when adding a little ???verb to a track was a complicated undertaking. Natural reverb has always been available, and it was always possible to create reverb while tracking using a distant room mic or placing your sound source in a reverberant space, such as a bathroom or stairwell. A few studios even went so far as to build reverb chambers???hard-surfaced rooms equipped with a mic or mics to pick up a speaker feed. Less well-heeled studios could always use their hallways in a pinch. However, electronic reverberation finally appeared with the debut of the Model 140 from German company EMT (Elektromesstechnik).

Developed by Dr. Walter Kuhl at the Institute for Broadcast Technology in Hamburg, the EMT 140 used the concept of vibrating a large, thin metal sheet (about 1x2 meters and half a millimeter in thickness). The metal plate was suspended by springs from a rigid metal frame enclosed in a heavy wooden case. The vibrations were generated by a center-mounted transducer (essentially a speaker-style driver) that was amplified and fed from an effects send, with the reverb output coming from a mic-style pickup transducer placed at the outside of the plate. The system???s ???reverb time??? was controlled (or at least kept from going out of control) by a damping pad that pressed against the plate.

The results hardly sounded like a cathedral but were thick and diffuse, and well-suited to vocals and drums. Given their massive size, 400-plus-pound weight and need to be placed in a vibration-free/noise-free space, plates were hardly the perfect solution but sounded far better than spring reverbs and were much cheaper than building acoustic chambers. In 1961, EMT debuted the Model 140S, which added a second output pickup for a stereo effect. Even with the power of modern DSP to conjure up almost any space, nearly all of today???s digital reverbs include plate reverb programs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Random but everytime I see the title of this thread, a voice inside my head yells, "throw some Ds on that bitch."

Just thought I'd share.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    busy soldering today, afraid to open her up and see if any damage during transport..will have report and pics by the end of the day.

I have asked myself numerous times if maybe i have a problem, an addiction to gear and stuff.

Why would anyone make a commitment to something liek this when the end result ends up on mp3. WHATS WRONG WITH ME

• lelandleland 43 Posts
    Caring isn't wrong! Glad somebody still does...

If I could make all the sounds I find on record, I wouldn't be a samplist. The sweet sounds of a real plate reverberate through my MP3s like a mofo!

Also, MP3s won't be around as long as that thing will. When we have 48bit gigawav. files, you'll be glad you soldered that bitch!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Caring isn't wrong! Glad somebody still does...

For real.

At the end of the day, you can be proud of the fact that you did the shit right.