Tie Game

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was thinking about rocking a tie to work every so often even though it's not required but then I wouldn't want to give people douche chills in that sense if you know what I mean.

Do NOT rock a tie unless you are also wearing a suit (or, at minimum, a vest). The dress-down move is to ditch the tie and keep the jacket, not vice-versa. Otherwise, you will look mad Jim Cramer with it and might as well also roll up your sleeves to your elbows.

You have obviously never lived in the desert.

We have seen your taste in shoes and you are clearly not to be trusted.This look is simply unacceptable.

No doubt.....

Don't hate...APPRECIATE!

U win!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I wore a Givenchy joint to a deposition today with--yes!--a pank shirt.

$200 ties are wholly unnecessary. Unless your chest will be dutifully examined within 12 inches or less, no one will notice whether it is a $200 tie or a $20 tie (assuming it's not a cheesy sports team tie, etc.).

Tasteful ties can be had, as I said, for $20 or less. Added bonus, if you drip your Chipotle on them you toss and move on.

I repeat, with few exceptions, no one is looking at you that closely.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

$200 ties are wholly unnecessary.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

That too. I always wonder what made it seem "professional" about having a piece of fabric tied around your neck and dangling down your front.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I always wonder what made it seem "professional" about having a piece of fabric tied around your neck and dangling down your front.

It represents a leash by which you are controlled by the management, and a noose by which they can hang you if you step out of line.

If you have to get suited and booted for work, ties represent one of the few remaining ways to express some individuality. Anyways, it seems a better option than cultivating some wilfully interesting hair or decking your desk out with 'wacky' paraphenalia.

When I started work, wearing any socks that weren't black got you sent away with the docking of a days pay. Seriously.

These days, dudes stroll around sans tie and the company don't do a damned thing about it. Sexual discrimination, see?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    get some short sleeved suits and some Jerry Garcia ties brah

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That too. I always wonder what made it seem "professional" about having a piece of fabric tied around your neck and dangling down your front.

I suspect that they evolved from bibs (seriously).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DB Coops

Wish I could help, but my tie game is woeful. I can wear a t-shirt and shorts to work on a Monday, so it's not a big wardrobe priority for me. We really take casual to an extreme here.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

So sayeth the dude who is unemployed and probably will never achieve more than an hourly wage.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I'd imagine a CEO Baller or fashionista dudes having $200 dollar ties, but I'm not on that level and dont feel the need to cop that, in order to get across my swagger.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Bassie: Post some pics of the look you speak of. I'm a BIG fan of the olden style look but you can't really get away with it these days unless you're Andre3k or Johnny Depp. In the business world, it wouldn't really fly. (IF it's what I'm picturing.)

No, I wish I did though...the picture is more in my head derived from a lot of film noir, french new wave films and 1940s Harlem dancehall/Cotton Club styles (but the pants are a little too wide for me).

see the dude in bottom left? make that vest a suit vest, the tie a little wider and pulled up, his sleeves rolled up a couple inches more and the pants not so close to his chin and that what's I'm talking about!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Bassie, you are leading Herm down a very "American Me" path.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Better than a Pretty in Pink one, no?

I ask this as in the spirit of internet-acquitance-more-than-ebuddy friendship - please say that Ducky kit was for Halloween. In the end when he gets the girl(s)....that because's it's a movie, that's not real at all.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

TRUTH. Especially right now. Suits = I need an IV with fluids right away and while you're at it a psychiatric evaluation. I haven't seen anyone rocking a suit for any reason other than a wedding lately.

Pierre Cardin usually works for me. I do like some Stafford ties too. I like my ties to have a lot of color and usually some contrast to whatever I'm wearing.

I'd post a pic of me wearing a tie last week, but I'd probably get laughed at off the boards.

On second thought screw it. First person to say something about the Kangol gets punched in the gonads*.

* - not really. Just don't berate me too badly.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i like to fantasize that when faux_rillz loses a case his cumberbundthing snaps and rolls up and hits him in the chin like in the olden days. whatever that lil fashion piece was needs to come back in vogue, if just for the comic relief.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i like to fantasize that when faux_rillz loses a case his cumberbundthing snaps and rolls up and hits him in the chin like in the olden days. whatever that lil fashion piece was needs to come back in vogue, if just for the comic relief.

faux_rillz_does_not_lose

and his monocle pops out.

faux_rillz_does_not_lose

hey, i can dream! if it helps paint the picture, youre defending harvey_canal in a libel suit brought on by revolver ent. harvey's sporting the oak barrel with suspenders.

Bassie: YES! It was most definitely for Halloween.

And R*ss...I know American Me very well. *pics withheld*

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    lol

TRUTH. Especially right now. Suits = I need an IV with fluids right away and while you're at it a psychiatric evaluation. I haven't seen anyone rocking a suit for any reason other than a wedding lately.

100 degrees today!

What are you guys at these days?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Pierre Cardin usually works for me. I do like some Stafford ties too. I like my ties to have a lot of color and usually some contrast to whatever I'm wearing.

I'd post a pic of me wearing a tie last week, but I'd probably get laughed at off the boards.

On second thought screw it. First person to say something about the Kangol gets punched in the gonads*.

* - not really. Just don't berate me too badly.

That kangol is fresh bro.... You got a latino heavy d look happening.... ;-)

BTW.... How come no one rocks them Mickey Mouse/Donnald Duck/Disney ties anymore? I found some old ones stashed away from h/school days...Im hoping they come back in style...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I wear plain shirts, so I like my ties to be on some retro wallpaper steez:

I have a grip of Disney ties from my teenage shoplifting days. (Sorry Disney Store!)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey BATMON,

My steelo is to usually wear a tie and matching pocket square in colors that complement, rather than monochromatically, matches my suit and dress shirt (medium starch). Say, if I wear a charcoal gray suit, I might wear a blue, oxford shirt, with a tie that has shades of blue, silver, white, and black, with a silver pocket square. With such a nicely color-coded array, you'll be .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    PAGING BRUNO