Phil Flowers - Unreleased Speed Label LP MP3

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
A few months ago I posted a picture of an unreleased album on the New York based Speed Label by A group called Phil Flowers and the Flower Shop. Several people asked me to post MP3's from the album and its only now that I've been able to settle into my new apartment and finally get my computer set up for recording. I've had to get both a new mixer and a new computer and I haven't figured out the best way to get them working together properly but I didn't want to keep stalling on putting this album out there for people to hear, so here is the first track from the album (Side A) for you guys to hear, an eight+ minute cover of Bob Dylans "Like A Rolling Stone". Enjoy

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Just curious: for those of us who missed the initial poast, how did you come across this record?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Cool Chris at the groove merchant and I did some trading for it. I don't know how he got it though

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Chris did a BIN off of eBay. Not sure who the OG seller was.

And Guzzo - I still want to rap with you about this LP once I get around to freeing up some time to get back to the Speed story I'm working on.

That's pretty cool.

Can't tell from the photo--is there a catalog number?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    That's an extended version of this 45:

...which has a four plus minute edit, and a six plus minute edit on the other side.

Flowers was a DC area guy. When I was spinning down there a few months ago, Birdman9 found an early gospel album by Flowers in a thrift.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    That's an extended version of this 45:

...which has a four plus minute edit, and a six plus minute edit on the other side.

Flowers was a DC area guy. When I was spinning down there a few months ago, Birdman9 found an early gospel album by Flowers in a thrift.

Funny his name should come up, as I scored a Phil Flowers album in a used store just the other day. It's called Phil Flowers Sings A Tribute (on the Guest Star label), and was accidentally filed under "various artists" because it LOOKS like a compilation (pictures of Johnny Ace, Buddy Holly, and Ritchie Valens are on the cover - Flowers sings one song from each, plus a bunch of originals).

He had another Guest Star album too, I Am The Greatest (no, this wasn't a tribute to Cassius Clay; yes, Flowers at least appears on the cover). Real good straightahead R&B, supposedly recorded live (can't tell, since there's hardly any crowd noise, but it does have "nightclub echo").

And Guzzo - I still want to rap with you about this LP once I get around to freeing up some time to get back to the Speed story I'm working on.

Interesting that as much as we've talked about Speed Records on the Strut, I never knew that they recorded any non-Latin acts. Going by that bare-bones cover, you'd almost think this was a vanity-press job.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Flowers seems like he did alot of early 60's frat-house R&B cover type stuff - very much in the style of 'Animal House' etc

Flowers seems like he did alot of early 60's frat-house R&B cover type stuff - very much in the style of 'Animal House' etc

Yeah, just about every scene that now has a hipster-collector following, he's done at some point: black rock 'n' roll (50's style), black rock (70's style), frat-house R&B, deep southern soul, etc. He'd probably be booked for the Ponderosa Stomp if he were still alive.

Although, interestingly enough, the two Guest Star albums are mainly originals (as far as I can tell). They are right in the "frat-house R&B" thing, as you've noted, but he's not leaning on cover versions like most in that field. (Even though "Carol Lee" from I Am The Greatest! may as well be a ripoff of Cookie & the Cupcakes'"Matilda").

Anybody heard his Dot album, Our Man In Washington? I'll admit to passing this up, many years ago, because it looked so damn cheesy!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I like the color scheme on the labels.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Interesting that as much as we've talked about Speed Records on the Strut, I never knew that they recorded any non-Latin acts. Going by that bare-bones cover, you'd almost think this was a vanity-press job.

The album cover is put together the same way the Folkways covers are done, I am now at work so I can't reference the cover itself or remember if there was anything on the back.

Faux Rills[/b]: there is no catalog number, I remember o-dub having a theory on the album but I don't remember what it was

MannyB[/b] when you're down to talk about it give me a ring (I think you got my number)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Anybody heard his Dot album, Our Man In Washington? I'll admit to passing this up, many years ago, because it looked so damn cheesy!

I have this LP. There are definitely some decent tracks on it, although
    some covers are kind of pointless, like doing songs Otis Redding is known
    for in a very Redding-esque style. Still, worth picking up for the originals.

My favorite Flowers release that I own is a 45, "The Cleopatra" on Josie from 1963:

Describes some great dance moves like "now move your head side-to-side like a
    cobra snake" ... I played this song at a swing dance/soul night recently and
    was rewarded by seeing people actually doing the moves as described in the song!

I'd love to hear more from this Speed LP - I have the "Rolling Stone" single
    and was not expecting that to be on there ... MORE PLEASE!

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

Yeah, just about every scene that now has a hipster-collector following, he's done at some point: black rock 'n' roll (50's style), black rock (70's style), frat-house R&B, deep southern soul, etc. He'd probably be booked for the Ponderosa Stomp if he were still alive.

Although, interestingly enough, the two Guest Star albums are mainly originals (as far as I can tell). They are right in the "frat-house R&B" thing, as you've noted, but he's not leaning on cover versions like most in that field. (Even though "Carol Lee" from I Am The Greatest! may as well be a ripoff of Cookie & the Cupcakes'"Matilda").

i like the phil flowers lp on dot, if you find it under 20, i'd suggest pick it up. it's not a great album as a whole, but theres some really good tracks, not cheesy.

peace,xavier

Re: the Phil Flowers on Speed. Unfortunately, most of the people who could absolutely clear this up are...dead. The folks who are still around, including Bobby Marin, thought the Phil Flowers LP probably came out around the time that Speed transferred over to Morris Levy and that this Flowers LP ended up on Speed b/c Levy was thinking about transforming Speed into some boutique subsidiary label but then changed his mind. My best guess is that this was probably the very last thing to ever have a Speed imprint.

But to address a previous question - this LP aside, Speed was a Latin soul label and to the best of my knowledge, there were no other non-Latin releases on it.

Pickwick: The copy Guzzo has, if I'm not mistaken, is a test-pressing or at the very least, a promo, thus explaining its "minimalism."

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    tax scam album maybe?

tax scam album maybe?

Hell, with Levy, sure, anything is possible. But the LP never came out so whatever plans Levy had with it, never materialized.

• Paging Nitekrawler, knower of all things funky from DC/MD/VA..

• djrdjr 511 Posts

no numbers on label or cover, but
    run-in grooves read PF-10A / PF-10B.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Odd that it's unreleased yet has proper labels and cover art.

I think the copies that are out there are promos so that would explain that. I can't remember if Guzzo's copy is a test pressing or a promo - looks like a promo though, no?

I think the copies that are out there are promos so that would explain that. I can't remember if Guzzo's copy is a test pressing or a promo - looks like a promo though, no?

Look closer at that label - to the left of the hole it says "For Promo Only."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just thought I would point out that I want this LP.

I will trade 800 927 $1 records for it immediately.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    This looks cool, haven't come across one before...though I do know that promo photo. There are still some people around that may have the story on this. I'll do some calling and see what I can find out.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Finally got this one today -

Very nice LP.

I also like the "Our Man in Washington" LP. Completely different sound on that one to "Alpha and Omega."
    Last year I went to an estate sale in DC of the guy who took the cover photo to "Our Man in Washington." Not only did I find a mint copy of the LP but I also got a few 8x10 photos from the shoot that weren't used for the cover.

Question: Does Reynaldo covet?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Question: Does Reynaldo covet?
    No, but I want to hear the whole thing, and if I have to buy it to hear it then so be it.

• Finally got this one today -