Funky16Corners Blog Updated 4/11

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Nice. I got that Action version on a CD comp of 60's Mod stuff a couple years back, and really dug it, I loved that they just went all out faithful style and did all the vocal harmonies and everything. It took nerve for those beat groups to just cover female soul group somgs like that, IMO, but when they do it right it is something pretty cool in itself. I've played it for a few friends in the last couple of years, and people seem to either love or hate it, no middle ground.

Oh, and The Marvelettes rule. "Hunter Gets Captured..." has to be a Top Ten Motown song for me, which is not an easy dime to crack...the playing on Marvelettes songs always seems to be mid-60's Motown at their funkiest, with hard beats and deep bass...the rhythm on "Really Saying Something" is impossible to ignore!

• Nice. I got that Action version on a CD comp of 60's Mod stuff a couple years back, and really dug it, I loved that they just went all out faithful style and did all the vocal harmonies and everything. It took nerve for those beat groups to just cover female soul group somgs like that, IMO, but when they do it right it is something pretty cool in itself. I've played it for a few friends in the last couple of years, and people seem to either love or hate it, no middle ground.

Oh, and The Marvelettes rule. "Hunter Gets Captured..." has to be a Top Ten Motown song for me, which is not an easy dime to crack...the playing on Marvelettes songs always seems to be mid-60's Motown at their funkiest, with hard beats and deep bass...the rhythm on "Really Saying Something" is impossible to ignore!

I hear you man. I'm going through a serious rediscovery of Motown these last few years.