Nathan Avon "Bodie" Barksdale (Wire-R)

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Knowing that The Wire stays soulstrut catnip, thought some of you might enjoy this article that came out in Baltimore City Paper today about some of the disgruntled OGs who feel the show was based on their lives:http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=17966

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it's kind of amazing that Simon & Burns didn't go to much trouble changing the names (in The Wire), or at least didn't go further to bring these guys in on the making of the show. Seems sloppy, not in keeping with the show's self-proclaimed standards.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    it's kind of amazing that Simon & Burns didn't go to much trouble changing the names (in The Wire), or at least didn't go further to bring these guys in on the making of the show. Seems sloppy, not in keeping with the show's self-proclaimed standards.

Simon's comments in the article are interesting in that he wants it both ways -- he says "The Wire" was complete fiction but he also used more or less real stories and real names from people on both sides of the law. You'd think he'd take a softer angle. Such as, Yeah these guys were the inspiration but we also changed a lot.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the wire was presented as fiction

if these guys are going to present theirs as non fiction, considering the weight of the subject matter, it could open up a can of worms, for them and others, or be halfhearted n depicting what really happened. the wire seems like it would have much more liberty to tell a real story.

"theres no statute of limitations on murder"

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    and I always thought "Barksdale" was a reference to King David...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

perhaps, but they've actually done these guys a favor. the name recognition alone will help them move a lot of product. i hope it's good. i did enjoy the interviews with the characters that The Corner was based on.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Seems like these guys are mostly concerned about getting paid. In fact, that's all the Unwired thing seems to be about. As far as I can see Simon has done them a great service. They should be very careful stirring a hornets nest if they got murder beefs hanging over them. You don't want people poking around that kind of mess.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Seems like these guys are mostly concerned about getting paid. In fact, that's all the Unwired thing seems to be about. As far as I can see Simon has done them a great service. They should be very careful stirring a hornets nest if they got murder beefs hanging over them. You don't want people poking around that kind of mess.

exactly
    all comes down to money, just like when they were pumping all kinds of shit into their neighborhoods so they wouldnt be "hungry". gtfoohwtbs

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've got a zip realty search for homes in Baltimore banner ad up top.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Good article.... I think they make a good point about the lack of cop corruption shown in the series.

I just want to know when they do an Unwired series on the real person behind the Omar character...... and Bubbles....

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Anyone catch David Simon on Bill Moyers last week? Recommending viewing...youtubeit!