records with dope harmonica playing (not on cover)

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Toots Thielemans

ive never heard this record, but toots is the most impressive I have ever heard...heard him play Thelonious Monk tunes and it was jaw dropping...I didnt know a harp had that many notes in 'em.

A chromatic harp does.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's pretty easy to find in the Netherlands but doesn't show up all that much abroad.

Yeah, i found my copy in Amsterdam, but I've never come across it anywhere else. The track you posted is the standout as I recall.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    It's pretty easy to find in the Netherlands but doesn't show up all that much abroad.

Yeah, i found my copy in Amsterdam, but I've never come across it anywhere else. The track you posted is the standout as I recall.

It's a beautiful track. There's also a really nice version on one of his LIVE albums from the 70's. The Fender Rhodes is much more prominent on that one and there's no strings.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Two songs by other Boston bands that give good (to my ears) harmonica -

"Give it to Me" - J. Geils Band
    "One Way Street" - Aerosmith

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Toots Thielemans

ive never heard this record, but toots is the most impressive I have ever heard...heard him play Thelonious Monk tunes and it was jaw dropping...I didnt know a harp had that many notes in 'em.

A chromatic harp does.

yeah but hitting those side by side notes at the same time like Monk on a harmonica is next level, regardless of what kind of harp is being used.

ha! they updated the sleeve, the OG LP has only a four card hand pictured, thus it not being a full house. I guess the CD issue decided to correct the mistake
    (although I am still unsure that this is a full house, shouldnt it be either 2 kings or 2 queens with the 3 jacks to make a proper full house?)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Iv'e been playing this song a lot lately...

anything by the late Paul Delay

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

ha! they updated the sleeve, the OG LP has only a four card hand pictured, thus it not being a full house. I guess the CD issue decided to correct the mistake
    (although I am still unsure that this is a full house, shouldnt it be either 2 kings or 2 queens with the 3 jacks to make a proper full house?)

Indeed. That is three of a kind with a king kicker.

And J. Geils has tons of great harmonica. Whammer Jammer, son!

• minimini 879 Posts
    Iv'e been playing this song a lot lately...

Great song have it on 45. Is the LP any good?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    anything by the late Paul Delay

I'll second that.

His best songs are cd only from the early 90s.

There are 3 or 4 or 5 lps too.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

ha! they updated the sleeve, the OG LP has only a four card hand pictured

I've never seen that. Every copy I've come across has always had five cards.

Trippy.

ha! they updated the sleeve, the OG LP has only a four card hand pictured

I've never seen that. Every copy I've come across has always had five cards.

Trippy.

weird, Ill go out to our dollar bin and look for one, but all I have ever seen is 4 card versions...strange

I know I have seen a card version, mind playing tricks on me?

• another two good records:

No offense, but Dylan's harp playing is pretty damn amateurish, and why people consider him some kind of virtuoso on the instrument is a mystery to me. I'm a fan of his music in general, but to put him up there in the Little Walter/Toots Theilemans category is laughable.

Dope harmonica playing? More like DOPED harmonica playing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    No offense, but Dylan's harp playing is pretty damn amateurish, and why people consider him some kind of virtuoso on the instrument is a mystery to me. I'm a fan of his music in general, but to put him up there in the Little Walter/Toots Theilemans category is laughable.

Dope harmonica playing? More like DOPED harmonica playing.

For real, he could hardly play at all.

His first recorded appearance is playing harmonica on a Harry Belafonte Lp.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    i'm listening to sonny & brownie right now...I doubt the harmonica playing is too next_levelle, but sounds great to me.

J. Geils Band is surely on some shizz I cannot overstand (forgot all about them, since it's been so long that I had a tape with Freeze Frame LOL) how they got not only 4-card full houses, but non-full house full houses... I think I need to investigate that whole scene: what's the joke with that?