Remember the time?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Remember the time when Phil Collins was straight running shit?I mean, I can think of other times when Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Billy Joel, Hall and Oats, Michael Jackson, and Prince had similar runs of hits.But I ain't at all mad at the Phil Collins era.I know some people detest him. I can even see why. But I'm at least a part-time rider.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

RESPECT PHIL

Those drums at 1:38 still send chills down my spine. PAH PAH PAH...PAH PAH PAH PAH PAH PAH PAH PAH

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    MAJOR TWAT

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i'll ride for probably about 4 phil songs and maybe that many more genesis songs. he really got shitty on that disney dough though...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    What's next? A Chris De Burgh appreciation thread???

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    hahaha... you guys can't be serious???

Phil Collins?

Shit like that's the reason I always demand the radio to be turned off immediately after entering a cab. Just the thought of having to listen to this disgusting crap makes me gag.

• hahaha... you guys can't be serious???

Phil Collins?

Shit like that's the reason I always demand the radio to be turned off immediately after entering a cab. Just the thought of having to listen to this disgusting crap makes me gag.

Thorough

So hacky he makes regular hacks shudder in digust.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. n terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    game over

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Shit like that's the reason I always demand the radio to be turned off immediately after entering a cab.

wow. times ARE tough in nyc. it sounds like stockbrokers are driving cabs now. i mean it used to be when u get in a cab theres some weird ethnic shit going on the radio.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Shit like that's the reason I always demand the radio to be turned off immediately after entering a cab.

wow. times ARE tough in nyc. it sounds like stockbrokers are driving cabs now. i mean it used to be when u get in a cab theres some weird ethnic shit going on the radio.

I had a lebowski cab moment the other day, big tough brother drivin' the cab, effing BLASTING that Coldplay song (vida?) and singing along to it...

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

Sussudio, a great, great song.

F*ck a akon

u cant front on that.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    He is our finest living Northern Soul performer, very dynamic

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    That Collins, the biter

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. n terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Please tell me this is a joke.

In the 80s I worked at a luggage repair place and they played Phil Collins & friends all day with brief interludes of Bon Jovi.

Other days it was live Grateful Dead tapes.

Don't know how I survived.

I believe this is from American Psycho

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Please tell me this is a joke.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Got me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• INEXCUSABLE!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

oh man i forgot all about that... that shit is SO FUNNY.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Misunderstanding was the anthem, stealing Fleetwood Mac and maybe a little of Journey's thunder in the process.

I mean, that's some bad company right there.

But I did wimp out by not playing Just a Job to Do at a party last weekend. It almost made the cut though...I'm coming after you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I ride for "Easy Lover" with Philip Bailey.

That's about it.

Oh, I like that German chick song with his big loud drum track.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That was definitely the height of his popularity,
    when German chicks could get top ten USA hits just
    because Phil Collins was on drums and in the video.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I ride for "Easy Lover" with Philip Bailey.

That's about it.

Oh, I like that German chick song with his big loud drum track.

I did play that one at the party last weekend. That and Berlin's The Metro are instant cute girls approaching me every time.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    this was true as of around 2000 - if you turned on the radio on any city at any time of the day or night across the USA, you were statistically most likely to hear a phil collins song. on average, across the board, all radio was playing him the most. no wonder you couldnt get away from the dude! it sure felt like that then, and i imagine hes still top 3.

i will ride for 'in the air tonight' and 'i dont care no more'. but that is it.

i kinda like his overly produced version of "tomorrow never knows" also.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    INEXCUSABLE!

lol you know its forging all new level of bad when Phil actually looks + sounds less like a douche than the bone thugs do.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i ride for 'the roof is leaking'. hot banjo action.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I never really liked the dudes, but I didnt hate him, until he got on a Billboard Awards (I think) riught after Dre & Snoop got an award for best single or something and in full serious cunt face style said
    "geez, things just got a lot darker in here didnt they?" or something very similar.

I was like WTF? And he didnt really cop much flack for it (I guess Suge didnt attend that award ceremony or Phil mighta been hanging upside down from a balcony signing over the rights to Su Su Sudio...)