Sun Ra exhibit in Philly

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
space cakes,started tonight, but there are more events scheduled...sorry i didnt post sooner.http://www.icaphila.org/exhibitions/sunra.php

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Damn, wish I lived closer... you could have a lot of fun putting on a show about Sun Ra, while travelling the spaceways.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    How was the DJ??

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I saw this at the Hyde Park Center for the Arts a couple years ago, I think. It was interesting, lots of Sun Ra ephemera. The film clips they had were great.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    How was the DJ??

i almost feel as if i read somewhere he is an awful, sad dealer who doesn't truly care about music.

• How was the DJ??

i almost feel as if i read somewhere he is an awful, sad dealer who doesn't truly care about music.

Art people are loud. Nobody could hear the music. But the poached salmon was pretty good.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

well, I still hope they at least paid him a couple bucks - I heard the DJ guy is so broke that he's been trying to sell mice on ebay!

mice!

• i almost feel as if i read somewhere he is an awful, sad dealer who doesn't truly care about music.

well, I still hope they at least paid him a couple bucks - I heard the DJ guy is so broke that he's been trying to sell mice on ebay!

mice!

Dude, mice sell themselves.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    sure, but it's a sad day when a fellow is so broke that he has to sell his mice collection

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i heard there was free lemonade though.

seriously for this exhibit do they have the og Arkestra outfits and metallic headgear displayed on mannequins ala natural history museum asiatic peoples dioramas? i'd drive down to philly for that.

• i heard there was free lemonade though.

seriously for this exhibit do they have the og Arkestra outfits and metallic headgear displayed on mannequins ala natural history museum asiatic peoples dioramas? i'd drive down to philly for that.

Many of the costumes were thrown away before Corbett got to the stuff. The fez collection was an exception --that went to a local thriftstore guy, as did the furniture.

Somebody, somewhere, entirely unawares, is lounging in Sun Ra's rocker.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

Many of the costumes were thrown away before Corbett got to the stuff. The fez collection was an exception --that went to a local thriftstore guy, as did the furniture.

This exhibit looks pretty sparse and sad like Charlie Browns xmas tree......
    Here we have some half eaten Lo Mein that reportedly one of the Arkestra members ordered one time.....
    And over here some doodles Mr. Ra himself made on napkins while on the phone with the mothership
    And a DJ.
    Oh and keg beer. And people in black oxfords and will be cleaning up the plastic cups afterward.

• i heard there was free lemonade though.

Here we have some half eaten Lo Mein that reportedly one of the Arkestra members ordered one time.....
    And over here some doodles Mr. Ra himself made on napkins while on the phone with the mothership
    And a DJ.
    Oh and keg beer. And people in black oxfords and will be cleaning up the plastic cups afterward.

You sound young or stupid.

How does material like this get excavated? Do you know? Be grateful for what doesn't perish.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

And a DJ.

You sound young or stupid.

How does material like this get excavated? Do you know? Be grateful for what doesn't perish.

You sound like you have low standards. I'm 39.
    And I am just a huge curmudgeon is what it comes down to. Deal.