ALIEN vs. THE THING

13»

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    SPOILER ALERT![/b]

Alien for this scene alone

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah. they did such a horrible callback to this scene in part 3.

of course nobody could have predicated the exact lows the franchise would lead to. aliens vs predators anyone?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Aliens vs Predators anyone?

I didnt see AVP.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

of course nobody could have predicated the exact lows the franchise would lead to. aliens vs predators anyone?

Talk about squandering an opportunity. They need to have a human-less AVP that's just Predators and Aliens warring on each other.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

Made me not want to eat tapioca pudding for a while. Thanks for the Snack Packs, Mom! >:(

Just finished returning to 3. I think y'all should revist it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Talk about squandering an opportunity. They need to have a human-less AVP that's just Predators and Aliens warring on each other.

You could just play the computer game. The first of which came out about 10 years before the movie AvP, although the idea originated in a comic.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Alien 3 is the weakest link for sure. AVP was terrible and the 2nd one was even worse. How you can fusk up a concept like that is beyond me. Yes to what manny says AVP without humans !

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    my roomate who rides hard for fincher likes alien3 but he's the only person i've met that does.....

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    All the recruiting commercials for the army are effing hilarious. The newsreels, etc are a great riff on all of the 40s and 50s propaganda machines.

exactly. this is why this movie was intentionally corny. Part 2 however, was just bad.

and as for me, Alien beats the Thing.

an aliens vs predator w/out humans should be w/ subtitles

an aliens vs predator w/out humans should be w/ subtitles

No doubt. I wonder if they'd bother to subtitle the aliens though (geek warning!) since they clearly are capable of communication. That'd kind of be funny to see:

"Hey Larry, go head-bite that wanna-be Rasta!"

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I say there's a TIE between Alien and The Thing. They are really close. Both are just great, and their greatness has a lot to do with the sense of isolation you feel in Antarctica or in space while facing an unknown and extremely dangerous foe.

Both have awesome sound tracks and both stand the test of time.

I saw Alien and Aliens recently in the theatre again and seeing that shit on the big screen blew my mind. Especially Alien. It was glorious on the silver screen, and terrifying.

Aliens stands as my most watched movie of all time. I stopped keeping count at 12. 12 may not seem like a lot, but you have to actually ask yourself how many times you've watched a more more than 8 times. In any case, I can recite most of the script from memory. The characters are so memorable. Everything about that film is enjoyable. I love it.

I love this thread.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    The Thing has you cwapping your nappy from frame 1. And the ending is

Alien plays out like a videogame.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Alien plays out like a videogame.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    my roomate who rides hard for fincher likes alien3 but he's the only person i've met that does.....

Interesting in that Fincher himself doesn't rides for it.

Aliens is on AMC right now.

Whoever thinks this film is weak is BUGGIN.

I can't believe how badly they fucked up this franchise. I mean, the whole basic concept is so genius. *sigh*

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I really love the naturalistic acting in act 1 of Alien. It's like a Cassavettes or Altman film. Then it totally switches into haunted house mode. The art direction is remarkable. I really appreciate the subtleties like the corporate plot line or the crew vs captain issues. It's what makes it more than a genre flick.

The Thing is just out and out a great horror movie, with great performances and a great ending. I like it more and would chose to watch it over Alien but it's not quite as deep as Alien is.

I'd like to throw Outland's hat into the ring as another great early 80s sci-fi pic that shows how CGI has completely fucked everything up.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I hope Ridley Scott can right the Alien franchise's ship with a proposed "prequel"