ALIEN vs. THE THING

Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
The first ALIEN vs. John Carpenter's THE THING???Both are stranded/scurred crew w/ blowtorches.Yaphet Kotto vs Keith DavidKurt Russell vs Sigourney WeaverGieger design vs whoeverDripping Acid vs Screaming Blood droplets.

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    for reals?! hope it doesn't disappoint.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Which is your favorite?

Not a remake.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    For me...

• The Thing. No question.

Yeah...the widescreen version.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Thing is one of the best executed sci-fi/horror films I've ever seen. Ahead of its time and it holds up, slightly corny special FX and all.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I'm a little partial to Alien. I watched the first 3 movies a lot. Couldn't really get into the AVP stuff. The Thing scared the shit out of me; it's seemed more realistic as a kid. Plus I hate the cold.

"Alien" was pretty incredible too and I think the transition from "Alien" to "Aliens" was f*cking amazing in terms of taking a concept and improving on it.

That said, in terms of watchability, I always found "Alien" a bit too slow for my taste compared to "The Thing" which, once it gets rolling, gets ROLLING.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    WHAT?!?!? Alien by a longshot!!!!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i dunno besides being "sci-fi" these films are quite
    differant, havent seen Alien for sevaral years but
    saw The Thing for the first time just a few months ago
    and it blew me away, i don't think the EFx in The Thing
    are corny either, in fact i think Carpenter is one of
    the best to do creatures and such. Alien is great if not
    simply for a having a powerful female lead and Geiger.

tough one cuz i love JC but i have to go with Alien...

• OG....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    My friends and I saw Alien when came out at a midnight showing. We were all a million miles away from popular culture at the time and had no idea what the movie was about - we though we were going to a low-budget Star Wars or some shit. We got ultra baked and thought we were going to be laughing at some stupid space cash-in flick.

Boy were we wrong.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    WHAT?!?!? Alien by a longshot!!!!

Nope. Carpenter's The Thing by a country mile.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    john carpenters The Thing. one of the top 5 horror/sci fi films of all time IMO

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The thing was cheezy as F*ck.

Alien still makes me crap my pants every time I watch it.

Thats right, I literally crap my pants.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Alien is the big bang of modern sci-fi.
    A cinematic epiphany.

Alien scared the shit out me when I first saw it - I was 7.

And when I get silly rich - i will have my house designed to have an interior just like that of the nostromo - including diaphragm doors that open and close with a pshh sound - except it will be a partly subterranean bungalow in some sunny exotic land instead of a ginormous intergalactic cargo vessel, and it will have a lot of added mahogany and padded leather features.

My holy trinity of sci fi

Alien
    Escape From New York
    Blade Runner -

I wonder why anyone would still want to make movies after Blade runner -
    What, you think you can top that, deluded f*ck?
    No. you cant.

/end rant/

Alien is the big bang of modern Sci-Fi.

I watched Alien yesterday and i saw many things from Star Wars up in there.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Blade Runner > Escape From New York

The Thing > Alien

it's a tie between Carpenter and Scott.

Bonus beat
    Alien >>> Aliens

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

agreed - Star Wars og trilogy is in its own universe altogether. the epic space opera universe - alien is that nasty grown up serious steez.

Alien >>> Aliens

Alien and them have a pretty good overall mythos.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Alien has that slow groove 2001/Solaris/Blade Runner type of slow groove Sci-Fi along w/ the great Metallic-Organic Design of H.R Giger.

Those organic alien interiors were a new visual language at the time.

At this point Ill go as far to say the entire Aliens story has surpassed The Star Wars mythology.

I cant call it. Both had a very high FEAR factor.

The Thing was doin the "VIRAL" thang years before it became another "Monster" for Modern sci-fi. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers was kinda similar.

• The thing that The Thing had that was unique was the psychological shit of not knowing who was human or not. Alien it was pretty obvious after having a face-sucker on your grill for 2 days.

• Alien it was pretty obvious after having a face-sucker on your grill for 2 days.

And the sequels were garbage. Like Jaws in space...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    aliens was garbage??

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ALl of these movies are metaphors for latent homosexual desires anyways.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ALl of these movies are metaphors for latent homosexual desires anyways.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The thing that The Thing had that was unique was the psychological shit of not knowing who was human or not. Alien it was pretty obvious after having a face-sucker on your grill for 2 days.

No doubt, but there was a back story why the "company" replaced the science officer w/ a Cyborg which carried over to the sequels.

I didnt know they would even make a sequel when it first came out, but the whole shit was about getting that Alien back to "civilization" to exploit it.

Not knowin who the human was(Thing) = What the F*ck are we dealing with(Alien).

Alien & The Thing are both stone-cold classics but like I said, I'd much rather watch The Thing ANYDAY OF THE WEEK over Alien which I always found to be just a bit too slow.

And I don't really see how Alien = "the big bang" of sci-fi coming after Star Wars AND 2001.

No Star Wars = no Alien. I challenge anyone to deny.

Re: Blade Runner...yo, I really respect and genuinely like that film...but I don't know if I actually enjoy it as much as some of the other films in the convo here.

aliens was garbage??

For real. I'm hoping the author misspoke 'cause otherwise...

YOU BUGGING.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    OG....

When I was 11 or so, I started to get into horror movies big time...my dad would always talk about the OG, it was his favorite whne he was a kid. Then John Carpenter's came out and he was very excited about it, and he took me to see it...scared the shit outta me...so good.

The Thing...but Alien is a strong second.

• aliens was garbage??

For real. I'm hoping the author misspoke 'cause otherwise...

YOU BUGGING.

If by "bugging" you mean "has a highly developed taste for quality sci-fi and horror, which precludes liking any of the Alien movies", then yes. I am bugging.