Anyone else remember Earle The Poet's "High Noon?"

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I saw this video exactly one time on Rap City, rushed out and grabbed the maxi cassingle with the quickness. Unfortunately, the video's not on YouTube, but the audio is:

I love this song. I even wrote a rap to the instrumental back then...and I remember part of it!High noon, the sun is right above usIt's time for you to learn a lesson like all the others'Cause I'm not the one to mess with, so don't even test thisOr else you're making your death wish10 paces back, it's time to attackMy lyrics are strong and yours are wic-wic-wackMy tongue is my gun and I'll use it to destroy yaWhile you're getting none I'm clockin' paper like a lawyerThat's all I remember. As you can see, it was heavily influenced by Earle.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    This is great. I've never heard this before.

Is his name spelled EARLE[/b] on the label?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Yes, my error.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

b/w

Its quite possible I would flip right past that 90s EMI 12" label, I can't even think of any other worthwhile rap on there...

• This is great. I've never heard this before.

b/w

Its quite possible I would flip right past that 90s EMI 12" label, I can't even think of any other worthwhile rap on there...

Yep, I bought that Earle 12" out of the cheap bin at the time....b side is poor!

EMI....The Jaz was on EMI and released some good records. Originators/Doped Up 12" or Ya Don't Stop EP with tracks produced by The 45 King/Large Professor/Prince Paul are both worthy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah, I've got The Jaz EP - but it doesnt look like that... I was talking about that specific label design, there's a world of shitty music on there..

• Phatmoneysack's thread about artists that never made a record reminded me of this song. I Googled his name again and stumbled upon this:

I had NO idea dude is/was Don Jagwarr of Ice Cube's "Wicked" fame.

The interview gets a little tedious after awhile, but the stories about his "epic" battle with Mikah 9 (and all the props and admiration he pours onto dude - he even remembers Mikah's opening bars!), his fight with Aceyalone and Spoon Iodine (both in Part 1) and when his thugged out crew tried to battle LL in his own grandmother's house (Part 3) are so, so good. LL's response is priceless!

Sadly, the "High Noon" video isn't online yet. Might have to pull my old VHS tapes out and up it myself.