Favorite Morricone Piece

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
this guy was just a genius. so many pieces i love, but the theme from Duck You Sucker is probably my favorite composition EVAR!what is your guys pick?

Comments

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    per un pugno di dollari !!!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah thats definitely one of the best

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Why do I feel this is a ghost bump? I'm having deja vu!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm not super familiar with the entirety of Morricone's discography. I mean, the guy has a gazillion soundtracks, libraries and whatnot. So I am in no way an authority, but I will say that pt. 3 of "The Ballad Of Sacco And Vanzetti" from the "Sacco And Vanzetti" OST is one beautiful piece of music:

I guess some people will be turned off by Joan Baez over moody loops, but I love this song.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The Untouchable ST was great. I'd probably favor Once Upon A Time in the West over his other Leone work. The end sequence to Good, Bad, Ugly still gets me excited. I'm sure he has a lot of other great stuff that I've never even heard. He has almost 500 composing credits on IMDB. Dude is epic.

im not an expert either, kinda why i made this thread to possibly hear some songs ive yet to hear. but may i add on the OST to The Thing

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    We really need some dudes like Quidtum or Davesrecords up in this thread.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    His album Metti Una Sera a Cena is fantastic from start to finish.

• for play-out-ablility i like these a lot:

"svolta definitiva" (old hat i know, but still a great tune)

"pazuzu" (from 'Excorcist 2' OST -- mental!!)

"Guerra E Pace, Pollo E Brace" (even more mental!!)

there's another one that i like to play out alot from a Cinevox comp of his stuff for Dario Argento films - but i can't remember the name.

---and then chillax with his mighty theme to "my name is nobody", or maybe that track "deep down" he did with some bird named Christy from the 'Diabolik' OST - -lovely and only a littel bit mental.

for those who don't know much try pickign up (or d/ling) some of the better comps - "crime and dissonance" or "morricone high" or some of the others . .. there's quite a few comps of his rarer stuff about.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Managed to score a free ticket to see him live at Radio City (Tik price? $175) and it literally gave me goose bumps to hear those tunes live, performed by his orchestra and with amazing acoustics.

A little heavy on the string stuff and not enough psychotic delirium for my taste, but I feel damn lucky to have been there.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Ninananna Per Adulti" from Vergogna Schifosi

"Ninananna Per Adulti" from Vergogna Schifosi

this is nice! Akon and Fat joe rippied it off though

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    this guy was just a genius. so many pieces i love, but the theme from Duck You Sucker is probably my favorite composition EVAR!

what is your guys pick?

the "sean, sean, sean" singy thing?

i saw this thread and was going to come in and post "ANYTHING BUT THAT SONG!" ugh, those voices are so annoying...

to each his own...

i gotta go w/ the theme from "a few dollars more" w/ the harmonica and the spooky guitar...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Away from his soundtrack work I like 'Per Un Pugno Di Samba' his album with Chico Buarque.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosign on the Metta Una Cera...thats the style Im most into when it comes to Ennio..such sexy music, I hear this stuff and I instantly imagine some pouty lipped Italian lady stepping from the bath...this record is the epitomy of that vibe:

• la citta violente

here is a strange interview that donald fagen did with the maestro in 1989:

http://donaldfagen.com/writing_items.php?itemID=23

• the 0:50 mark has some of the biggest organs since john holmes took a dirt nap.

• "Ninananna Per Adulti" from Vergogna Schifosi

Massive co-sign on this one.... the whole album is actually stellar, and most songs are a variation on the theme heard in this clip...

I would also add "Adonai", from Il Giardino Delle Delizie

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Guerra E Pace, Pollo E Brace

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Come un madrigale is a fantastic piece he did for an italain movie, very beautiful. Will see if I can up it later.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Buy this; it does not disappoint.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    on "Citta Violente"

I saw Ennio rehearsing the Munich Radio Orchestra in 2005. Unfortunately he mainly played his western movie smash hits (What can you expect?) but still it was awesome to see and hear him directing a full-blown orchestra. Gave me the creeps.

• Investigation Of a Citizen Under Suspicion

That could be my favourite.

I'd have thought the Ipecac compilation of his psychedelic outings of the early 70's - 'Crime and Dissonance' would be the Strutter's choice.

I saw him in action once, a few years ago or so at the Albert Hall, on his 75th birthday. Quite an event is was too as you might expect. The programme booklet was stunning as well.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Still waiting for some lurker to mention this "piece":

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Here's that piece I was talking about

• quidtumquidtum 29 Posts

tempo infinito

This is an absolutely mindblowing double-lp compilation of Morricone's mid 60's to mid 70's crime soundtrack material. So many wonderful selections keep coming, from classic ba-ba-ba's to gentle spinet themes, to spooky choral passages to dirty fuzz rock

Just today I have watched Vergogna schifosi, whose OST is easily one of the best work by the Italian maestro. Well, the interaction between pictures, structure of music and sung words is stunning, since the main theme develops when there's that scene of that rounded table with the people all around it (see the fron cover) and there's once more a contrast between music, choral passages repeating obsessively words as Matto (= Mad), Soldi (= Money), Giro girotondo (= Ring-a-ring-o'roses) and then the fabulous Edda Dell'Orso's sublime wordless vocals generate such an intense feeling.
    I'm creating custom fansubs for this movie for a torrent community, that VHS rip is really awful and quality is very bad but I must translate lyrics of that song otherwise such a powerful moment will get lost for non Italian guys.
    Morricone wrote also a lot of fantastic tunes for some supposedly pop Italian songs of 60s-70s, maybe if someone watched Mike Patton as Mondo Cane singing some of these songs in Italian language, might have recognized those dissonant contrasts into a seemingly serene music and even some cinematic themes probably taken from Spaghetti flicks.